Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Chanting by Rhinos supporters

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
60 replies to this topic

#21 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (Mistress_Marlowe @ Jul 4 2010, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perhaps on entry into grounds we should wire everyone up to a central machine that automatically elecrocutes anyone using foul language. dry.gif

The last thing I knew we had laws of free-speech in this country. There is swearing at every game and the minute you get rid of it atmospheres will evaporate. Try as you might it will never happen in sport. Rugby games are not held in libraries and I reserve the right to chant banterous, stupid, good-humoured songs at opposition fans and players, with special provision to disparage KR fans/players/board members.

There are specific laws agains homophobic hatred and it would seem that Cas fans sailed very close to the wind in regards to GT. Until there are specific laws against hair colour hatred I cannot see the RFL having a case against such chants as those from Leeds fans last night.

SOME cas fans

Also - if there was a complaint made do you think they should just sweep it under the carpet as there's no law about it?

Do you think it portrayed our sport in a positive light on the TV?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#22 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,071 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:17 PM

Perhaps on entry into grounds we should wire everyone up to a central machine that automatically elecrocutes anyone using foul language. dry.gif

The last thing I knew we had laws of free-speech in this country. There is swearing at every game and the minute you get rid of it atmospheres will evaporate. Try as you might it will never happen in sport. Rugby games are not held in libraries and I reserve the right to chant banterous, stupid, good-humoured songs at opposition fans and players, with special provision to disparage KR fans/players/board members.

There are specific laws agains homophobic hatred and it would seem that Cas fans sailed very close to the wind in regards to GT. Until there are specific laws against hair colour hatred I cannot see the RFL having a case against such chants as those from Leeds fans last night.

Please explain sensibly why foul language is required to create an atmosphere?

Freedom of speech is not the same as freedom to say anything you like. I trust that you understand the difference.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#23 The Best The Beautiful The Only

The Best The Beautiful The Only
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

Kids will hear worse at school. Get real.

#24 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (The Best The Beautiful The Only @ Jul 4 2010, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But where did they hear it first?

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#25 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (The Best The Beautiful The Only @ Jul 4 2010, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed - I'm sure they hear worse than "we can see you holding hands" too so am I righ tin thinking that you disagree with the Castleford fine earlier this week and the RFL should get real?
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#26 The Best The Beautiful The Only

The Best The Beautiful The Only
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (Kenilworth Tiger @ Jul 4 2010, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agreed - I'm sure they hear worse than "we can see you holding hands" too so am I righ tin thinking that you disagree with the Castleford fine earlier this week and the RFL should get real?

Nope, I don't know what the chants were at Cas, but homphobia is so 20 years ago. It's illegal and wrong.

#27 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

In see the Castleford fans want Leeds to be given a 40k fine.

#28 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (The Best The Beautiful The Only @ Jul 4 2010, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope, I don't know what the chants were at Cas,

Don;t comment then you fool

Posted Image

#29 Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor
  • Coach
  • 7,717 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:26 PM

Know a lot of Cas fans who are frustrated by this and can see why. Fair enough what you 'apparently' did was wrong, but the RFL have been banging on about the 'RESPECT' campaign for numerous seasons.

The game wouldn't be the same without it's banter, it's how the player takes it. Timmy Street was a perfect example of taking banter and giving some back.

Best thing to do is to take it on the chin and move on. You had a fantastic result today, build on it and stick two's up to them when you get in the play offs.
2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

#30 Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor
  • Coach
  • 7,717 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:26 PM

Know a lot of Cas fans who are frustrated by this and can see why. Fair enough what you 'apparently' did was wrong, but the RFL have been banging on about the 'RESPECT' campaign for numerous seasons.

The game wouldn't be the same without it's banter, it's how the player takes it. Timmy Street was a perfect example of taking banter and giving some back.

Best thing to do is to take it on the chin and move on. You had a fantastic result today, build on it and stick two's up to them when you get in the play offs.
2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

#31 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (Chris Taylor @ Jul 4 2010, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No no no no no another who has wrote off Bradford's chance of play-off silver.

Edited by Tommy The C5t, 04 July 2010 - 08:34 PM.

#32 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (Kenilworth Tiger @ Jul 4 2010, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was worse than that chanted at Gareth Thomas.

#33 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:29 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jul 5 2010, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There was worse than that chanted at Gareth Thomas.

Yet according to the Guardian Gareth Thomas never noticed it?

Posted Image

#34 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,001 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:58 AM

how about just electrocuting leeds fans per se??
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#35 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:19 AM

QUOTE (The Best The Beautiful The Only @ Jul 4 2010, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope, I don't know what the chants were at Cas, but homphobia is so 20 years ago. It's illegal and wrong.

So Cas were fined for not being sufficiently fashionably modern.

How very gay.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#36 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,001 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:31 AM

political correctness has causedfar more problems than it hsa solved due to people putting their own interpretations to what has been said. i was called a racist by a social worker for saying let's call a spade a spade during a meeting, the poor misguided fol didn't know that the full saying is let's call a spade a spade not a shovel. i the sarcasticaly appologised for being racially offensive to shovels.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#37 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (Viking Warrior @ Jul 5 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
political correctness has causedfar more problems than it hsa solved

I haven't seen any signs recently saying No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs.

- Severus, July 2012

#38 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,001 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (gingerjon @ Jul 5 2010, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't seen any signs recently saying No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs.

how clever to pick out part of the sentence? and take it completely out of context!!! and by the way there are "no dogs" signs everywhere, so your argument has been shot down before it has begun.

#39 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (Kenilworth Tiger @ Jul 5 2010, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yet according to the Guardian Gareth Thomas never noticed it?

Don't read the Guardian mate. He told Mark Chapman a couple of weeks ago what the chanting was.

He said when he heard it it hurt him.

He said him and the players discussed it and how hurtful it was in the changing rooms after the game.

I haven't read everything on it, but these are things I have watched him on TV saying.

#40 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:03 AM

QUOTE (Viking Warrior @ Jul 5 2010, 10:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and by the way there are "no dogs" signs everywhere

Do these signs also feature the words "No Blacks, No Irish" ?

- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users