• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:22 PM

http://www.therfl.co...em.php?id=18323

The profit isn't very much but then again it's better to pay it out to the clubs, grassroots, the Benevolent fund, facilities etc. than pay tax and have it in the bank.

Well done, RFL management.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#2 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

Very nice to see that - especially the bit about giving 3m more to clubs this year (by that I assume it means all clubs, not just SL Clubs)

Whilst 13k profit might not seem much, what it does show is that the RFL are more prepared to put money back into the game than most other sporting bodies, as they could have quite easily held back some of that 3m and swollen the coffers some more.

For all those people who deride the RFL and its management, the turn around since 2000 has been phenonemal, and personally I can't wait to see what the next 10 years bring.

As commented in the Daily Mail (Booo....Hiss.....) we have the most enlightened and forward thinking administration out there, and whilst some decisions might not go down well with everyone (franchising), or some ideas could be executed better (Magic Weekend), I genuinely think they have the greater good of the game in mind and eventually RL will get the recognition it deserves

#3 The Clan

The Clan
  • Coach
  • 514 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

When set against the backdrop of a global recession the continued profitability of the RFL (8yrs running) is a great indication that they're getting some things right.

#4 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:08 PM

A Warrigton v Leeds Carnegie Challenge Cup Final should sell out and help profits for 2010 - may also help to get a decent gate for London Skolars,if they promote their friday night match properly.

#5 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:40 PM

It was interesting to see that 500k was distributed to "RFL Benevolent Fund, Rugby League Foundation, RFL National Museum and Arts Foundation and RFL Facilities Trust"
Do people have an idea of what they do? Im especially interested in what the RFL National Museum and Arts Foundation do.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#6 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (cookey @ Jul 7 2010, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A Warrigton v Leeds Carnegie Challenge Cup Final should sell out and help profits for 2010 - may also help to get a decent gate for London Skolars,if they promote their friday night match properly.

Was about to comment that it would be an interesting game but realise that by Leeds Carnegie Challenge Cup you were refering to the Cup sponsor rather than the Leeds Rugby Union team.

#7 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (jannerboyuk @ Jul 7 2010, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was interesting to see that 500k was distributed to "RFL Benevolent Fund, Rugby League Foundation, RFL National Museum and Arts Foundation and RFL Facilities Trust"
Do people have an idea of what they do? Im especially interested in what the RFL National Museum and Arts Foundation do.

'Try Assist' (the RFL Benevolent Fund) helps support Rugby League players who have been seriously injured playing RL (I think it may be 'career ending' injuries (?). Such as paralysis?).

Edited by HappyDave, 07 July 2010 - 11:56 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#8 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:13 AM

The accounts show that in 2009 the RFL recorded a profit before tax of 13,000.

from a turnover of 21.9m, the largest in the RFLs history.

Is that a correct figure.....13,000...PRE TAX
FFS some one man buisness make more ..serious guys if that is all we make then we are in big trouble.
I think(HOPE) its a typo

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,724 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE (yanto @ Jul 8 2010, 01:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The accounts show that in 2009 the RFL recorded a profit before tax of 13,000.

from a turnover of 21.9m, the largest in the RFLs history.

Is that a correct figure.....13,000...PRE TAX
FFS some one man buisness make more ..serious guys if that is all we make then we are in big trouble.
I think(HOPE) its a typo

Isn't it right that the RFL are run as a not-for-profit organisation?

#10 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jul 8 2010, 02:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't it right that the RFL are run as a not-for-profit organisation?

Is that right Dave??
Maybe thats why we lag so behind the major team sports in the UK.

RFU Profit before tax increased from a loss of 0.5m to a profit of 9.0m
13,000 is I suppose on par with what we see our game to be...but 13,000 is a shock to me compared to 9 million from the other code.
Never mind a "none for profit organisation" is it not time we moved into the real world of making money??

#11 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,368 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 04:43 AM

QUOTE (yanto @ Jul 8 2010, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that right Dave??

13,000 is I suppose on par with what we see our game to be...but 13,000 is a shock to me compared to 9 million from the other code.
Never mind a "none for profit organisation" is it not time we moved into the real world of making money??

Yes they did, just chose to distribute it to the game. What good would it being doing in Osborne's pocket or in the bank? There are no shareholders to worry about.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#12 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:33 AM

Is that right Dave??

If the RFL generates a surplus, and has sufficient cash reserves, then it seems sensible to push the money back into the game.

That's me.  I'm done.

#13 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,066 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE (tim2 @ Jul 8 2010, 05:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes they did, just chose to distribute it to the game. What good would it being doing in Osborne's pocket or in the bank? There are no shareholders to worry about.

I think it all depends on whether you want to live year-by-year or put stuff away in a rainy-day pot. The RFU seems to like large profits to keep up their reserves, allowing them to do large-scale capital projects, and also try to give roughly the same out every year, the RFL seems to like doing it on a year-by-year basis.

I personally would prefer a lower increase to the clubs and more away in reserves as I think sport funding, especially through Sport England, will get hammered after the Olympics in 2012. If you get the amateur game used to a level of funding then reduce it sharply to meet a poorer general fund then you get a situation where the game could struggle.

Well done to the RFL for yet another good set of results, maybe it's time to think of the future though and start increasing that piggy-bank for rainy days.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#14 thecoffeeman

thecoffeeman
  • Players
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:00 AM

Great news this. The small profit is not an issue really, as most of the member clubs have had a share of it before the accounts were closed and would have been taxable after.

Slightly off topic, but related. I looked the the RFL's accounts in the annual report for last year - can anyone tell me where I can see in detail the revenues and possible profit figures for the Super League Grand Final and the Challenge Cup Final? It would be interesting to see these, especially considering that there wasn't an international test series in the period in the last annual report.

Edited by thecoffeeman, 08 July 2010 - 08:37 AM.

#15 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,724 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE (ckn @ Jul 8 2010, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it all depends on whether you want to live year-by-year or put stuff away in a rainy-day pot. The RFU seems to like large profits to keep up their reserves, allowing them to do large-scale capital projects, and also try to give roughly the same out every year, the RFL seems to like doing it on a year-by-year basis.

I personally would prefer a lower increase to the clubs and more away in reserves as I think sport funding, especially through Sport England, will get hammered after the Olympics in 2012. If you get the amateur game used to a level of funding then reduce it sharply to meet a poorer general fund then you get a situation where the game could struggle.

Well done to the RFL for yet another good set of results, maybe it's time to think of the future though and start increasing that piggy-bank for rainy days.
Some good points, and I suppose the problem is that almost all of the revenue is guaranteed back to the clubs. Much of the revenue is the TV deals and Sport England grants which in effect is mainly directed straight to the clubs.

I would expect that the RFL gets money from limited sponsors and a few events (Grand Final and Challenge Cup) which would allow them to run the game.

Without a succesful International game, I struggle to see where they could boost their reserves. I would suspect that is where the Union money comes from in the main, through ticket sales and commercial activities. They have at least 6 or 7 full Twickenham events with major corporate activity to bring money in, which League does not have.

The international game is crucial for so many reasons.

#16 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:31 AM

Well there's 40k straight to the bottom line for this year
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#17 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (ckn @ Jul 8 2010, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be honest ckn, with the mindset of the current government I can see ALL sport funding, with the exception of prestige events like the Olympcs, being cut with fairly immediate effect. We need only look at what they have done to local councils where funding has been cut on projects which are already underway. If they can do this with council and school budgets I can't see any sport getting away with it for long.

Edited by Bulliac, 08 July 2010 - 09:42 AM.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#18 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,724 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (Kenilworth Tiger @ Jul 8 2010, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well there's 40k straight to the bottom line for this year
biggrin.gif On that point, don't fines go to the RFL Benevolant fund? I believe they do from disciplinaries, and it would be good if this kind of find did too.

#19 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jul 8 2010, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
biggrin.gif On that point, don't fines go to the RFL Benevolant fund? I believe they do from disciplinaries, and it would be good if this kind of find did too.

Not sure Dave - if it goes to the Benevolent fund then great.

Maybe this money went to.............Actually no I'd better not!!! laugh.gif
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#20 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:03 AM

Is that right Dave??

So are you saying that you would prefer the RFL to be more like FIFA?

They make a lot of money, so I suppose that would be progress.

mellow.gif

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users