Mine's bigger than yours!

Why should I care, I couldn't give a toss.

For some bizarre reason people won't believe what the dictionary tells them, a derby game is not defined as a game between two teams from the same city.

The OED says d. Applied to any kind of important sporting contest

You should give a toss because according to your posts on this thread a "derby" is what you say it is. (no change there then) ;)

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For sheer venom between the two sets of players and supporters, both inside the ground and out, I dont reckon any Saints/Wigan or FC/Rovers comes even close to a Widnes/Dire, having attended all of the above.

hulls a nice place.

much nicer than many other northern rl towns i visited

leeds wasnt bad too, especially the bits ne showed me ie a bar

ok dally,but when you described the hull v hull kr crowd at wembley being largest derby crowd , that was the rl cup final played in london the wembley occasion when all the rl family congregate.

the elland road championship final at elland road hunslet v leeds 1938 was played within the city by two very partisan rival clubs from the same city and 90% of the demand for tickets which forced the game to be switched from belle vue came from the city 54000 largest derby crowd

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

For sheer venom between the two sets of players and supporters, both inside the ground and out, I dont reckon any Saints/Wigan or FC/Rovers comes even close to a Widnes/Dire, having attended all of the above.

I don't think a game that draws out the dickheads from each club is something to be proud of or look forward to tbh.

It is the only game where I change my parking arrangements as the train station is packed with animals, and I don't fancy walking past there to get my car after the game.

You've obviously never been to a Fev/Cas game :dry: Most Fev fans won't even type the word "Cas" on their posts on this forum.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

You should give a toss because according to your posts on this thread a "derby" is what you say it is. (no change there then) ;)

Wrong again, its not "what I say it is", and I haven't said what I think it is, I have quoted both Collins and The Oxford English dictionaries which give you definitions.

You are the one being stubborn and wanting to re-write the OED.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Wrong again, its not "what I say it is", and I haven't said what I think it is, I have quoted both Collins and The Oxford English dictionaries which give you definitions.

You are the one being stubborn and wanting to re-write the OED.

No just winding you up Dave :lol:

Clement Attlee.

Vinatge TRL thread.

Instead of debating which derby is the best (fev v C*s is the correct answer) we get five pages of heated debate on what the word 'derby' means.

Classic. ;)

I feel sorry for Joan. She seems to have been overlooked for some reason.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

dead set its worth 24 hours on a plane just to enjoy the hull derby at the kc

hull kr should only be in SL for the derby game,, anything else they offer is a bonus

im not saying wigan saints was bad, it was fantastic too.

Did you not enjoy Bradford vs Leeds? ;)

I've looked the word "derby" up in the Concise Oxford Dictionary. A "derby" match is any important match. A local derby is a match between two local rivals. So I guess you have to define local. How far from New Craven Park to the KC? How far from DW to KR? How far from Odsal to Headingley? If it wasn't for Hanging Heaton Church you could see New Crown Flat from Mount Pleasant. And as I said earlier it's about three miles from Wheldon Road to P O Road.

Clement Attlee.

I don't think a game that draws out the dickheads from each club is something to be proud of or look forward to tbh.

Read my post again and tell me where i said i was either proud of or looking forward to my next Widnes v Wire game.

I've looked the word "derby" up in the Concise Oxford Dictionary. A "derby" match is any important match. A local derby is a match between two local rivals. So I guess you have to define local. How far from New Craven Park to the KC? How far from DW to KR? How far from Odsal to Headingley? If it wasn't for Hanging Heaton Church you could see New Crown Flat from Mount Pleasant. And as I said earlier it's about three miles from Wheldon Road to P O Road.

You got there eventually, I've only posted the definition twice already. :rolleyes:

Edited by Padge

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

As far as the biggest is concerned, I expect Thursday's game at the KC to confirm it's now Hull v Hull KR.

As for the best, in terms of quality in the Super League era we don't even come close to Leeds v Bradford or Saints v Wigan.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

As far as the biggest is concerned, I expect Thursday's game at the KC to confirm it's now Hull v Hull KR.

As for the best, in terms of quality in the Super League era we don't even come close to Leeds v Bradford or Saints v Wigan.

The Hull games, as long as both teams are at the top table pulls in the crowds, the Wigan v Saints game is almost a national institution, as I said earlier it was listed in the top ten sporting events to see in this country by the Gruniad.

Wigan and Saints rivalry is known throughout the country by most people who take an in interest in sport, Leeds v Bradford doesn't hit the radar outside of, well Leeds and Bradford.

Of course St. Pats supporters and Rose Bridge supporters will claim they are a true derby as they less than a mile apart and the games are fiercley contested, they don't need big crowds for it to be a big derby. Just as two Hull amateur teams will claim that they have a true derby despite not pulling in what the pro clubs pull in.

A derby in general is what the players and supporters make of it, Fev v Cas is big to the people of Featherstone and Castleford, the Hull Derby is big to the people of Hull. Wigan v Saints seems to register to a wider audiance than just the people of the respective towns, viweing figures and media coverage would seem to back this up.

There isn't a single measure, and whatever combintion of measures you use their will always be a different outcome.

The one thing I will never accept as a measure is how much two rival sets of fans hate each other, to claim that my team v t'other lot is bigger because we won't type their name is pathetic and should be left to the cretins supporting football.

Conclusion.

Locally Hull v Hull KR biggest.

Nationaly Wigan v Saints biggest.

The Hull games, as long as both teams are at the top table pulls in the crowds, the Wigan v Saints game is almost a national institution, as I said earlier it was listed in the top ten sporting events to see in this country by the Gruniad.

Wigan and Saints rivalry is known throughout the country by most people who take an in interest in sport, Leeds v Bradford doesn't hit the radar outside of, well Leeds and Bradford.

Of course St. Pats supporters and Rose Bridge supporters will claim they are a true derby as they less than a mile apart and the games are fiercley contested, they don't need big crowds for it to be a big derby. Just as two Hull amateur teams will claim that they have a true derby despite not pulling in what the pro clubs pull in.

A derby in general is what the players and supporters make of it, Fev v Cas is big to the people of Featherstone and Castleford, the Hull Derby is big to the people of Hull. Wigan v Saints seems to register to a wider audiance than just the people of the respective towns, viweing figures and media coverage would seem to back this up.

There isn't a single measure, and whatever combintion of measures you use their will always be a different outcome.

The one thing I will never accept as a measure is how much two rival sets of fans hate each other, to claim that my team v t'other lot is bigger because we won't type their name is pathetic and should be left to the cretins supporting football.

Conclusion.

Good post and fair conclusion too.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Read my post again and tell me where i said i was either proud of or looking forward to my next Widnes v Wire game.

I didn't say you did. I was giving my thoughts on that game based on your comments.

In a thread about the biggest and best derby, my comments are relevant.

Conclusion.

I stopped reading it when you used the Gruniad as your reference.

Edited by deluded pom?

rldfsignature.jpg

Bramley v Leeds were'nt a bad derby either ,it used to fill the old Barley Mow ground over 9000 .

I remember as a kid convoys of no77 buses coming up through the broadlea estate on their way "up bramley"bringing leeds fans from town.

and please no jokes about the broadlea estate it was ok 50 years ago.

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

Just to develop Padge's reference to area, it could be said that there are three types of derby; between clubs from the same city, between clubs from the same town and between clubs from two geographically close cities or towns.

Can I give an example of two clubs from the same town being the biggest deby on the day (or in this case in the week leading up to the day) then it would have to be the Saints versus the Recs!

However the closest geographically linked derby in sport in general would have to be in Dundee where the two grounds are next door to each other.

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

a thought has just come to me. :O

rather than mines bigger than yours etc etc.

I wonder which derby has been played the most times in the same League.

just a thought. B)

Its Wigan v Saints, be very careful and do your research before you reply. You know what happened last time you tried something like this. :D