TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

The metric system

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:02 PM

You are wrong about "always will be". I'm in my mid-30s and never did any Imperial at school. The only time I recall it being mentioned was when we were taught how to convert out of it.

I only bothered to learn how many inches were in a foot etc because metric meant nothing to my parents and I had to communicate with them. I can't see either of my kids bothering with it because there is just no need.

I expect we'll keep pints and miles as a relic but the rest is very fast becoming history.

#22 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (Northern Sol @ Jul 13 2010, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are wrong about "always will be". I'm in my mid-30s and never did any Imperial at school. The only time I recall it being mentioned was when we were taught how to convert out of it.

I only bothered to learn how many inches were in a foot etc because metric meant nothing to my parents and I had to communicate with them. I can't see either of my kids bothering with it because there is just no need.

I expect we'll keep pints and miles as a relic but the rest is very fast becoming history.

I'm in my early fifties and went through all the learning of how add, subtract, etc in the imperial system before going to secondary and using metric from then on.

Kind of a waste of time but at least I'll be able to handle time travel when it's introduced!
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#23 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,403 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (petero @ Jul 13 2010, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The fallacy of metrication being a more accurate system is just that.

Not more accurate - just easier to measure in mm. than in fractions of an inch.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#24 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (Northern Sol @ Jul 13 2010, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I was at school (I left in 1964) we did both. I went into textile engineering during the change over period, moving from the old whitworth stuff to metric. I'll never forget the old guy (he was about as old as I am now!) saying that something was about three sixteenths (of an inch) over three hundred millimetres.

I'm still surprised today when young kids tell you their height and weight using imperial, or describe lengths using yards and feet, I really thought it would have died out by now with young people, though I guess as you mention, they might have much older relatives who still use it. The biggest surprise over the last few years though was going to a builders' merchant wanting some posts two metres long and the nearest they could do was six feet.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#25 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:14 AM

A couple of French mathematicians measured out a distance between the South coast of France and Paris and made it fit to the requirements of that countries dictator Napolean!
Simply because he was obsessed with the number ten. That is fact the system does not fit totally accurately.
The Kilometre is very flawed and was fitted to requirements in its origins, rather than the other way round.

Sorry for not conforming with modernity but something that served this country adequetly and much of the rest of the world for well in excess of 1500 years and still does in yankeeland, does deserve a little better than being ridiculed in favour of what is a popularity system and European AKA modern...............................tosh.

When a gallon was such we had reasonable petrol rises and in many other spheres also, metrication was an aberation to consumers and always will be.

And; I do not have any answer to the starters question. tongue.gif

I agree that it's no more accurate than any other system. Ultimately any system is only as accurate as the guy with the ruler. It's also true that the original metre was calculated wrongly, apparently when they did the measurement from Paris they forgot to allow for the curvature of the Earth, so the metre was short, and had to be re-calculated. I'm don't know why they bothered to be honest, the only important factor was that everyone used the same measure.

Just one final point: the metric system isn't really French. In fact it was discussed in England around a hundred years before the French set up their system. Being British, of course, we were having none of it, and turned it down, and only joined, in our normal tardy fashion, many years later; in similar vein to the Gregorian calendar and European Union. cool.gif

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#26 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,752 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:05 AM

A couple of French mathematicians measured out a distance between the South coast of France and Paris and made it fit to the requirements of that countries dictator Napolean!
Simply because he was obsessed with the number ten. That is fact the system does not fit totally accurately.
The Kilometre is very flawed and was fitted to requirements in its origins, rather than the other way round.

Sorry for not conforming with modernity but something that served this country adequetly and much of the rest of the world for well in excess of 1500 years and still does in yankeeland, does deserve a little better than being ridiculed in favour of what is a popularity system and European AKA modern...............................tosh.

When a gallon was such we had reasonable petrol rises and in many other spheres also, metrication was an aberation to consumers and always will be.

And; I do not have any answer to the starters question. tongue.gif

..................and don't get him going on scrummaging!!

tongue.gif tongue.gif

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#27 CrushersForever

CrushersForever
  • Coach
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (Methven Hornet @ Jul 13 2010, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in my early fifties and went through all the learning of how add, subtract, etc in the imperial system before going to secondary and using metric from then on.

Kind of a waste of time but at least I'll be able to handle time travel when it's introduced!

All measurements relating to time travel are going to be imperial. It's far easier to remember that you have to get your DeLorean going 88 miles per hour than 141.622272 kilometres per hour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users