Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

Poll: Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Wigan (11 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Warrington (8 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

3. Draw (3 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 sam

sam
  • Coach
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Jul 18 2010, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2 - I am not sure how you could have heard any Wiganers singing after a game given that they had all left by your own account long before the game ended. Maybe you heard the echo of massed hordes of Wazzerers?

my own account?

foxes or poor people?

#142 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Jul 18 2010, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't have an issue with the result at all.

Well done to Warrington.

What I do have an issue with is the usual male genitals spouted by Dave "I have one eye open" T, regarding his spotting of Tomkins doing all manner of dirty deeds, yet failing to see Morley taking out both of our half backs on numerous occasions, particularly in the 1st half.

It's not just Wigan that he picks on in this kind of thing, he regularly fails to see any number of misdemeanours perpetrated by Warrington players. He manages all of this without actually ever attending a game, which is almost miraculous.

Anyway, once again, well done to Wire on their win, but I hope you all realise that you are in a glass house, and you should be keeping tight hold of your stones.

I genuinely think this game has made you crack up a touch! wink.gif

Any chance of backing up some of the above? What did I spot about Tomkins?

These were my comments about Tomkins:

Must admit I wasn't happy with that at the time, I was just relieved he wasn't hurt.

then: I don't think it was great, and at the time (with beer and 3D goggles on) I was calling for him to be binned, but then I do think the slow motion replays make it seem worse. It was more the lateness for me, as I don't necessarily think he attacked Myler's head on purpose, although that was the outcome.

I would expect a warning about future conduct tbh.

followed by: As for Tomkins, like I said earlier, I was disappointed with it, and I didn't think there was any need, but let's see what the panel do, and I will accept that.

So from the above, how are your comments about me spotting Tomkins all manner fo dirty deeds? Seriously you need help, as you are reading stuff that isn't there.

Simply because we had a disagreement about Morley and a previous incident, you are too stubborn/stupid to have a sensible conversation about anything else, although that hardly worries me.

As for your pathetic comments about not attending games, I have addressed them elsewhere, and the point certainly isn't worth going over twice.

Edited by Dave T, 19 July 2010 - 12:20 AM.

#143 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:16 AM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 18 2010, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of FFS, here we go again.

Wigan Borough Population 305,600.

Wigan Town Population 81,203

Leigh Town Poulation 43,006

The Borough of Wigan is made up of other townships, Ashton, Standish and Shevington, Hindley, Atherton, Tyldsley, Aspull and Haigh, Golborne etc.

The other townships tend to be added to either Wigan or Leighs populations to give the Wigan Leigh split.

So it now appears that Warrington has over double the population to draw on than the town of Wigan, I gave you the simple breakdown given as a standard split used within Wigan Council.

The office of national stats takes figures for the whole borough by constituancy, you would have to work out where each consituancy was aligned to, Wigan or Leigh, then add up the totals.

When you understand how the stats are compiled and what the numbers you quote actually mean then get back.

ok using that theory, Warrington's in 80661.

but as you know padge you've always had bigger crowds, your boroughs prefer rugby to ours.

this has only come about as your fellow Wiganer (hanibal) said there are more fans walking out of wigan (wigan walk) than actual walk into warrington. (but thats not true!!)

i guess anyone can use stats to their advantage.

So, i think i'll call it a day, plus you are a smart ###### and never ever give up.
(i don't mind using up your time, i have plenty of time on my heads)

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 19 July 2010 - 07:24 AM.

#144 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:25 AM

QUOTE (getdownmonkeyman @ Jul 18 2010, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Warrington is around the third/fourth largest town in the country.

not true

link :-

http://www.citymayor..._topcities.html

#145 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jul 19 2010, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this has only come about as your fellow Wiganer (hanibal) said there are more fans walking out of wigan (wigan walk) than actual walk into warrington. (but thats not true!!)

It's obviously true, whatever time they start walking out.

#146 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jul 19 2010, 07:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

he said town, not city

#147 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,830 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:40 AM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Jul 18 2010, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This raises some interesting issues.
1 - good to hear that the violence endemic in virtual Wazza streets did not spill over into virtual Wigan (I was going to write Wigga but I believe that may have other connotations).
2 - I am not sure how you could have heard any Wiganers singing after a game given that they had all left by your own account long before the game ended. Maybe you heard the echo of massed hordes of Wazzerers?
3 - while the supporting cast has been doing a good job of giving vent to their anti-Wigan bile - Wigan walk tick, Sam absolutely dire player tick, Fielden cr.p tick, Joel a violent yob tick (let it all out) - the king of the stirrers is conspicuous by his absence. This coincides with Giwildgo's own absence, we all hope savouring every moment with a new baby pie. That prompts the inevitible thought - could GW amd Wendall be the same person and could Wendall be an imaginary figure of bitterness and stupidity created by him to make us all feel better about ourselves? If so, that is an act of genius.

biggrin.gif

Anyone heard from giwldildo gwindywindy giwldydiddlythingy yet?

#148 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,782 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:18 AM

I listened to this match on Radio 5 and reckoned Warrington were going to win after Wigan didn't make enough of their opponents' appalling ball retention in the first half.

I suppose it keeps the top of the table close, but still a bit disappointing.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#149 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 18 2010, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Regarding the Quinns game, different marketing tactics for different games.

The North Stand for that game would have been closed due to the low number of opposition supporters. The marketing tactic was therefore to sell large bulk blocks of discounted tickets to sponsors and major employers in the borough and put them in the North stand, they could have done the same for the Warrington game but you lot would have moaned about no tickets being available.

18.5k with no away support, 22.5k with 4k away support, seems Wigan can get 18.5k Wiganers in the ground. How many other clubs can claim that.*

*Not Wigan supporters, their own supporters.
Yep, I'm aware of the tactics they used for the Quins game, and have been extremely impressed with the back-room staff at Wigan, my comments were purely based on a post6 about empty seats in the Wire end. Bot sets of fans got behind the game and the concept, and I don't think either club deserves criticism for getting the largest regular SL crowd of the year.

#150 The Boy Saint

The Boy Saint
  • Coach
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (3owls @ Jul 17 2010, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the label of bottlers can only be aimed at one team at this current time. Of wigans last three games against the big boys,

Leeds = LOST

st helens = LOST

warrington = LOST

you do the maths.

laugh.gif

Like it

#151 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (The Boy Saint @ Jul 19 2010, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif

Like it

I'm glad.

I like this better though. I hope you like it to.

The Truth.

#152 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (Leeds Wire @ Jul 19 2010, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
he said town, not city

indeed he did say town and not city and Warrington isn't in the top 3 or 4 as he suggested.

#153 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Jul 18 2010, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
While the supporting cast has been doing a good job of giving vent to their anti-Wigan bile - Wigan walk tick, Sam absolutely dire player tick, Fielden cr.p tick, Joel a violent yob tick (let it all out) - the king of the stirrers is conspicuous by his absence. This coincides with Giwildgo's own absence, we all hope savouring every moment with a new baby pie. That prompts the inevitible thought - could GW amd Wendall be the same person and could Wendall be an imaginary figure of bitterness and stupidity created by him to make us all feel better about ourselves? If so, that is an act of genius.

ohmy.gif laugh.gif If only I was that clever or had that much time on my hands!!!

PS. false alarm on Friday, so I'm still waiting - continued absence was due to my dismay at the bickering and hyperbole that generally follows a Wigan defeat. Warrington deserved their result on the day - poor tactics and execution from Wigan ultimately cost us.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#154 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (giwildgo @ Jul 19 2010, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ohmy.gif laugh.gif If only I was that clever or had that much time on my hands!!!

PS. false alarm on Friday, so I'm still waiting - continued absence was due to my dismay at the bickering and hyperbole that generally follows a Wigan defeat. Warrington deserved their result on the day - poor tactics and execution from Wigan ultimately cost us.

I always enjoy your input. A sensible Wigan fan from Warrington wink.gif

#155 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Jul 19 2010, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always enjoy your input. A sensible Wigan fan from Warrington wink.gif

I told you...I ain't Wendall tongue.gif

I'm afraid Warrington by birth alone - naturalised as a Wiganer via 26 years residency (I'm more Yorky ohmy.gif than Wire having lived 3 years in Sheffield).

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#156 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (giwildgo @ Jul 19 2010, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I told you...I ain't Wendall tongue.gif

I'm afraid Warrington by birth alone - naturalised as a Wiganer via 26 years residency (I'm more Yorky ohmy.gif than Wire having lived 3 years in Sheffield).

Pie's and Pudding's laugh.gif

Hope all goes well when the newbie decides to come into the world.

#157 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,939 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

If you are still thinking of names, may I suggest you avoid Wendall and Sam, whether you have a girl or a boy?

#158 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Jul 19 2010, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are still thinking of names, may I suggest you avoid Wendall and Sam, whether you have a girl or a boy?

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#159 Auntie Linzi Morris

Auntie Linzi Morris
  • Coach
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:39 PM

I've waded through eight pages and am still not sure what all the disagreement is about.

Wigan and Warrington occupy the top two places, Friday's game attracted the highest attendance of the season and the match itself, though not perhaps reaching the quality of the first meeting earlier in the season, was intense and exciting enough to live in the memory for some time and would certainly have impressed any casual viewers catching the game on Sky or on 3D.

Am I missing several points?
And yes, a Warrington fan should be used to that after all these years...

#160 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:05 PM

Changing the by now over argued tempo slightly and going with the question that is supposedly a binding one for all English R/L fans; the four Nations comp at the end of the season.

Did anyone take notice when Hemmings put a pointed question to Micheal Maguire and asked him if the excellent match ( which it was) just seen was as intense as those he had been involved in as assisstant coach at Melbourne, played in the NRL.

McGuire simply replied " yeah it was a great match but : there were a LOT of stoppages"!

Personally I thought that ref Siverwood was the most prominent person on the field and, once again the over bearingness of the officials detracted from a game that was enthralling but could with less pedanticism have been much better.

Watching the NRL is an eye opener and the manner in which the officials ( generally) allow their games to continue is definitely a method that ours should be coming to terms with. Our game is slower for this reason and this reason only and until that aspect gets rectified our rep sides just will not compete for the full 80 minutes with those from down-under.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users