Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

how good is this

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:57 PM

brilliant footage from 109 years ago........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#2 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:59 PM

double post

Edited by Viking Warrior, 14 July 2010 - 01:02 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#3 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

the willows hasn't changed since 1901 has it????

#4 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:15 PM

http://www.youtube.c...feature=channel

oldham v swinton @ watersheddings

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#5 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,264 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:56 PM

I like the bit where he says that the crowd looked larger than that reported. Tax fiddling even then perhaps? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

The game really was unstructured back then and heavily reliant on scrums. No wonder RU reckons its the pure form the game, they're still doing it.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#6 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:02 PM

This was in the years between the abolition of the ruck and maul and the introduction of the play-the-ball. Every tackle resulted in a scrum. Watch how fast they form the scrums though.

The Mitchell and Kenyon stuff is brilliant, they made a point of doing crowd shots so that they could get people to come and pay to watch themselves later. The behaviour of people when they see some form of film/tv camera hasn't changed in over 100 years.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#7 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,955 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:34 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 14 2010, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This was in the years between the abolition of the ruck and maul and the introduction of the play-the-ball. Every tackle resulted in a scrum. Watch how fast they form the scrums though.

The Mitchell and Kenyon stuff is brilliant, they made a point of doing crowd shots so that they could get people to come and pay to watch themselves later. The behaviour of people when they see some form of film/tv camera hasn't changed in over 100 years.

I went to the screening of the Mitchell and Kenyon NU stuff at the National Media Museum about four years ago - it was great.
It must be unique to be able to see how a game was actually played over 100 years ago. There's plenty of soccer stuff on Mitchell and Kenyon but I don't think the basic game of soccer has changed as much as RL has from those days.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,876 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Jul 14 2010, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I went to the screening of the Mitchell and Kenyon NU stuff at the National Media Museum about four years ago - it was great.
It must be unique to be able to see how a game was actually played over 100 years ago. There's plenty of soccer stuff on Mitchell and Kenyon but I don't think the basic game of soccer has changed as much as RL has from those days.

I have a feeling that the only significant changes to the rules since the formation of the football league in 1888 are the creation of the penalty area, where the goalkeeper can handle the ball and the backpass. All the major changes took place between 1863 and 1888. Not sure when offside became settled though and any changes to that have been 'interpretation' rather a change to the law.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#9 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:41 PM

Oi VW, that sig is just toooooooooooooo long wink.gif
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#10 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Jul 14 2010, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oi VW, that sig is just toooooooooooooo long wink.gif

it's not my fault that we have won so many trophies biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#11 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Jul 14 2010, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was in Greece when they did the screening, I was well p!$$ed off at missing it.

In the Mitchell and Kenyon TV series I think they showed an NU game and a Man U (or whatever they were called then) game, there was no ###### watching the soccer but the rugby was packed.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#12 Mortis

Mortis
  • Coach
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:03 PM

1901! It's good to see fashions never change in "that place to the east of Bradford" tongue.gif
I'm not mad but I am...

Donkeys forever, forever Donkeys!

#13 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (Viking Warrior @ Jul 14 2010, 05:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it's not my fault that we have won so many trophies biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

you've been 'runners up' more times than you've won owt... wink.gif

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#14 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,955 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (gingerjon @ Jul 14 2010, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a feeling that the only significant changes to the rules since the formation of the football league in 1888 are the creation of the penalty area, where the goalkeeper can handle the ball and the backpass. All the major changes took place between 1863 and 1888. Not sure when offside became settled though and any changes to that have been 'interpretation' rather a change to the law.

You mean the 18 yard (or 16.452 m) line laugh.gif

#15 Millman

Millman
  • Banned
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (gingerjon @ Jul 14 2010, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry to follow you off topic, but what happened before the penalty area? Where could the keeper handle the ball?

#16 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,955 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (Millman @ Jul 14 2010, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry to follow you off topic, but what happened before the penalty area? Where could the keeper handle the ball?

I know that at one time in soccer an out field player was allowed to make "a fair catch" catch of the ball and call for a mark. And a free kick.

#17 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Jul 14 2010, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know that at one time in soccer an out field player was allowed to make "a fair catch" catch of the ball and call for a mark. And a free kick.

I think after the mark and fair catch was done away with a player could still use his hands to block the ball and knock it to ground.

#18 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,262 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 10:04 PM

there were some real sharp dressers in the crowd billycock hats and velvet collared overcoats
that main stand at Oldham is the only bit of stadium infrastructure that I can recall seeing
also is that Goldthorpe at the right of the team shots at the start of the Hunslet film
fascinating stuff. Lots of period detail.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#19 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,955 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (l'angelo mysterioso @ Jul 14 2010, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there were some real sharp dressers in the crowd billycock hats and velvet collared overcoats
that main stand at Oldham is the only bit of stadium infrastructure that I can recall seeing
also is that Goldthorpe at the right of the team shots at the start of the Hunslet film

Is it Oldham then? I thought with the steep terracing it must be Fartown

#20 Kiwi-Capper_merged

Kiwi-Capper_merged
  • Coach
  • 323 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:15 AM

QUOTE (l'angelo mysterioso @ Jul 14 2010, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think during the shots of the crowd at the hunslet game I can see you having a cal with parksider laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users