Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Cas and Wakey told to groundshare

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Fully

Fully
  • Coach
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:23 PM

According to the frontpage of tomorrow's Wakefield Express:

http://www.facebook....ss/414238279643

#2 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:26 PM

next thing the dreaded merger suggestion will rear its ugly head
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#3 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,994 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:26 PM

fine
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#4 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,515 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE (fieldofclothofgold @ Jul 15 2010, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No reason whatsoever why it should.

Tbh anyone who thinks along those lines is really going to damage both clubs' chances of staying in SL, because both clubs are way off where they need to be re. their grounds despite the years of hot air & waffle.

A Fev Blog

#5 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

Common sense breaks out at last.

Couldn't care less whether they merge or not or, for that matter, whether either club remains in Super League in the long term (although it's obviously in everyone's interests to have at least one club in that area).

However, the idea of public money being poured into two separate white elephants at a time when schools etc are being denied refurbs etc, was pretty obscene.

#6 adelwire

adelwire
  • Coach
  • 905 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:39 PM

Well said Pottsy.

#7 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:51 PM

Good move if it comes off.

No need to merge if they don't want to but both clubs get what they need and share the costs.

If they did merge they could be a very serious force to be reckoned with in the area, but just get the brickwork sorted that's what is needed a.s.a.p.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#8 weloveyouwakefield2

weloveyouwakefield2
  • Coach
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:18 PM

Wakefield have continually told Cas they would be prepared to share a stadium with them, each time they have been told Cas want to go alone...This latest outburst is driven by the WMDC I believe. We shall see what happens to the plans for two stadiums without WMDC backing..
Posted Image

#9 Agbrigg

Agbrigg
  • Coach
  • 899 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (Pottsy @ Jul 15 2010, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Common sense breaks out at last.

Couldn't care less whether they merge or not or, for that matter, whether either club remains in Super League in the long term (although it's obviously in everyone's interests to have at least one club in that area).

However, the idea of public money being poured into two separate white elephants at a time when schools etc are being denied refurbs etc, was pretty obscene.

Don't think anyone would disagree with that, but just to expand this topic further.

There are only two possible sites available, one being Newmarket and the other being Glasshoughton, which would be your choice or wouldn't it matter if both could work ?

#10 Terry180241

Terry180241
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (weloveyouwakefield2 @ Jul 15 2010, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wakefield have continually told Cas they would be prepared to share a stadium with them, each time they have been told Cas want to go alone...This latest outburst is driven by the WMDC I believe. We shall see what happens to the plans for two stadiums without WMDC backing..

So lets build it at Glasshoughton which as all the other items of interest to the public, and may I point out this is purely ground sharing not merging.

#11 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (fieldofclothofgold @ Jul 15 2010, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (Kenilworth Tiger @ Jul 15 2010, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
fine

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 15 2010, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good move if it comes off.

Calder Trinity Tigers, I might even light a candle for,...... er,.... no-one.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#12 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,535 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 05:57 PM

please not 'my tears are flowing like the calder again'

this moves makes a lot of sense; alas this could be the first stumbling block.
Pottsy pretty much nails it.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#13 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,042 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (Fully @ Jul 15 2010, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
According to the frontpage of tomorrow's Wakefield Express:

http://www.facebook....ss/414238279643

Probably the only way that both clubs can retain their Super League places.

#14 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:51 PM

Seems like the logical move to me, especially if it means both clubs can get a purpose built Rugby ground and don't have to tolerate sharing with another sport.

Hopefully it'll be the spring board to help both clubs build for the future.

#15 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

Castleford could be Wakefield's feeder team.

#16 Millman

Millman
  • Banned
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 06:58 PM

Seems like a logical move for all those people that think Wakefield and Castleford are the same place. Build it in Wakefield and Cas will wither, build it in Cas and the reverse will happen.

#17 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Jul 15 2010, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Castleford could be Wakefield's feeder team.

Don't be silly the funding is fully in place for both stadia and they are due to start building in the next week or so just in time for 2012.

To anybody with half a brain a shared stadium makes the most sense. Going for their own grounds prevents either from getting one.

I feel the same way about the likes of Everton and Liverpool. Why waste money (often taxpayers) on two separate grounds?

#18 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:03 PM

Can't be accurate anyway. As we've all been told time and time again all the funding for both stadiums are in place, and they're starting the build in two weeks or so. We've seen many a pretty picture of what both will look like.

#19 Smog

Smog
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Jul 15 2010, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't be accurate anyway. As we've all been told time and time again all the funding for both stadiums are in place, and they're starting the build in two weeks or so. We've seen many a pretty picture of what both will look like.

The funding for over 700 schools was also 'in place' using public money. The problem being that we can't go on borrowing 1 for every 4 we raise in taxes any longer.

#20 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:22 PM

I think that the two clubs need to start thinking about a merger, because that stadium is not going to be started, let alone built, by early 2011. So both clubs face losing their SL licenses. We may see both of them in the Championship in 2012. I certainly hope so, because Widnes (somewhat) and Toulouse (massively) will bring more to the popularity and prosperity of the game from 2012 on --- as will Sheffield, London II, South Wales, Paris, and Lyon in later years.

It is still an open question as to whether Super League needs more than three West Yorkshire clubs. As I have long argued, as had Uncle Mo, as a concession to the fans, there could be a Calder United club in Super League. The compromise name could be Calder Trinity Tigers. They would then use one new 12,000 capacity stadium, as would both Wakefield and Castleford Championship teams.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 15 July 2010 - 11:27 PM.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____