Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Wigan have snared the Melbourne Storm trio. Who can stop Wigan?

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#61 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Jul 19 2010, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You really are daft sometimes.

I don't care about the results. I am more concerned with my home town club developing its own players and coaching staff.

If the results come with local resources, I will be far more pleased than I would be if they were obtained by a gang of mercenary Australians who couldn't give a sh!te about Wigan.

I know that you lot don't care where your players come from, but I have pride in my locality, a concept which your posts in this thread prove you have no idea about.
It's probably been a few weeks since I agreed with you, but the above is an excellent post, and I couldn't agree more.

#62 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:17 PM

The pundits on tonight's NRL show were suggesting that Hoffman may have only signed a one-year contract, to see what happens at Melbourne - if they get back under the cap, he might head back there.

They're all very good players though. Should go well for Wigan

#63 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:38 PM

The set up is full of loopholes that make the system a Joke.
There are that many ways around the quota the whole system lacks credibility.
If Wigan played all of their imports as you would expect them to and add the overseas born exempted players how many of the 17 would be English born? 7 or 8?
Not much different with some other teams.

Good to see teams are using the 3 year license that allows them 3 years to build a supply of locals being taken full advantage of.

#64 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE (AndyCapp @ Jul 19 2010, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The set up is full of loopholes that make the system a Joke.
There are that many ways around the quota the whole system lacks credibility.
If Wigan played all of their imports as you would expect them to and add the overseas born exempted players how many of the 17 would be English born? 7 or 8?
Not much different with some other teams.

Good to see teams are using the 3 year license that allows them 3 years to build a supply of locals being taken full advantage of.
Perhaps we should wait and see the make-up of the team's sqads for next season before we criticise them.

#65 The Boy Saint

The Boy Saint
  • Coach
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:55 PM

I'd have said the exact same thing if these three had signed for Saints, what very ordinary signings these are.

The best of the bunch looks like Hoffman, and if, as one poster said, he has only signed for a year with an eye on returning to Melbourne then he hardly seems committed either.

If we are talking improving quality it just isnt there. For Brett Finch see Tim Smith, for Jeff Lima see Paleaaesina. No real improvements there. Hoffman is probably on a par with what Phil Bailey was when he first signed.

As I say, it doesnt matter its Wigan that have signed them, I'd be complaining if it was Saints too, I just dont see how these 3 contribute to an improvement in quality in SL.

Its a shame that with all MM's influence at the Storm, and the desperation of the club to reduce the salary cap that these three are the best MM could get.

#66 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:01 PM

Last Friday v Wire Wigan had 10 players either through their academy or Wigan born in the 17.
The previous week v Salford it was 11.

Wigan's quota players, I think! Riddell, Bailey, Phelps, Roberts,
Kolpac/EU. Carmont, Feka & Richards.
Home grown - Hansen, (Leuluai. He is hg by Quins so is Federation for Wigan)

With the new comers here for next year we think the ones leaving will be Riddell (confirmed) Bailey, Phelps & Feka. Four overseas out and three in.
This potentially under the new RFL rules leaves Wigan with one vacant quota spot and three Kolpac/EU places.

#67 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (The Boy Saint @ Jul 19 2010, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd have said the exact same thing if these three had signed for Saints, what very ordinary signings these are.

I reckon Saints fans should not speak too soon - lets see who they sign to replace Fa'asavalu following his defection to Quins RU first !
Super Clarty Git Amang It Dip Fer Dippin Owt In

#68 Northern Exposure

Northern Exposure
  • Coach
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Jul 19 2010, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your credibility is zero on here mate.

You aren't even making sense any more.

Thanks for your input, now get back to your life-size cardboard cut-out of Andrew Johns, and your bumper box of Kleenex.

Classic.

Only in Wigan can their krank fans dupe themselves into thinking that import a 'better class' of Christmas turkies be preferable on bringing through their 'world beating ™' youth setup.

As for making no sense, that really is the pot calling the kettle black.

See you in 3 months when your side bottle it.

Edited by Northern Exposure, 19 July 2010 - 03:08 PM.

Posted Image

#69 Northern Exposure

Northern Exposure
  • Coach
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (The Boy Saint @ Jul 19 2010, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The best of the bunch looks like Hoffman, and if, as one poster said, he has only signed for a year with an eye on returning to Melbourne then he hardly seems committed either.

If we are talking improving quality it just isnt there. For Brett Finch see Tim Smith, for Jeff Lima see Paleaaesina. No real improvements there. Hoffman is probably on a par with what Phil Bailey was when he first signed.

As I say, it doesnt matter its Wigan that have signed them, I'd be complaining if it was Saints too, I just dont see how these 3 contribute to an improvement in quality in SL.

Its a shame that with all MM's influence at the Storm, and the desperation of the club to reduce the salary cap that these three are the best MM could get.

It's basically 3 of his mates on an elongated holiday.

Look at Dallas Johnson. Awesome at the Storm - ###### at Catalans.

Posted Image

#70 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Jul 18 2010, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Finch plays 6 for Melbourne now, but for ten years played as 7 for Canberra Raiders and the Sydney Roosters, not to mention NSW State of Origin.

You need to keep up with your rugby league players' histories.

As do you. Finch's last club was Parra.

#71 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (Northern Exposure @ Jul 19 2010, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Classic.

Only in Wigan can their krank fans dupe themselves into thinking that import a 'better class' of Christmas turkies be preferable on bringing through their 'world beating ™' youth setup.

As for making no sense, that really is the pot calling the kettle black.

See you in 3 months when your side bottle it.

I may be mistaken, but if you have a read of post #54, don't you and Hannibal find yourself in some sort of agreement?

Clearly I don't want to get in the way of you guys trading insults but you do appear to be singing from the same hymn sheet!

#72 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

Whilst these three signings may not be Worldbeaters, it is, to me at least a very obvious fit.

Organising halfback who will enable Tomkins to play to the line, which will enable him to be the stand-off he obviously is - Check.

Experienced backrower to compliment/eduacate the young backrowers - Check

Size and experience to the front row, which Wigan are painfully short of - Check

Whether they are rated/not wanted by supporters of other clubs is a moot point. They are available and fit the requirements of Wigan.

#73 Northern Exposure

Northern Exposure
  • Coach
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (shrek @ Jul 19 2010, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I may be mistaken, but if you have a read of post #54, don't you and Hannibal find yourself in some sort of agreement?

Clearly I don't want to get in the way of you guys trading insults but you do appear to be singing from the same hymn sheet!

Shush! wink.gif

Nah, he is right in what he says.

I prefer going after BoaB really smile.gif
Posted Image

#74 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Jul 19 2010, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You really are daft sometimes.

I don't care about the results. I am more concerned with my home town club developing its own players and coaching staff.

If the results come with local resources, I will be far more pleased than I would be if they were obtained by a gang of mercenary Australians who couldn't give a sh!te about Wigan.

I know that you lot don't care where your players come from, but I have pride in my locality, a concept which your posts in this thread prove you have no idea about.

wow a RL fan who doesnt care about results

youd have been very happy at the lack of results wigan had in SL for 10 years then!
laugh.gif

me i want the best talent from where ever.

still forums allow for all opinions, even weird ones

#75 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:52 PM

wigan have replaced their current imports with far better ones

proven performers

even better is they know the coach and respect him so theyll perform

can only make wigan stronger

thats if you actually care about on field results
laugh.gif

#76 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,920 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (dallymessenger @ Jul 19 2010, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wigan have replaced their current imports with far better ones

proven performers

even better is they know the coach and respect him so theyll perform

can only make wigan stronger

thats if you actually care about on field results
laugh.gif

I don't care about the result, I pay for two teams to entertain me. If both teams deliver than I'm happy and the result is just a by product.

I've done enough winning to last most RL fans a lifetime and beyond, its nice to let someone else to have a go at worrying about results.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#77 The Boy Saint

The Boy Saint
  • Coach
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (Derwent @ Jul 19 2010, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I reckon Saints fans should not speak too soon - lets see who they sign to replace Fa'asavalu following his defection to Quins RU first !

Word is that its Louis McCarthy Scarisbrook. Thats fine by me

QUOTE (Northern Exposure @ Jul 19 2010, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's basically 3 of his mates on an elongated holiday.

Look at Dallas Johnson. Awesome at the Storm - ###### at Catalans.

Agree, a mate of mine who moved to Melbourne told me last year that Dallas Johnson was a shoe-in for MOS this season in SL. Bet Hoffman is just as "awesome"

#78 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

How much will you bet on that? I would be delighted to take you up on it if you're seriously suggesting that Hoffman will have as little impact for us next year as Dallas has had with the Catalans. Indeed, I would bite your hand off.
The evidence suggests MM knows what he is doing, given what he has achieved with the limited squad he has inherited. The evidence suggests he ought to know the Melbourne players pretty well.
If Saints had signed these players (assuming Graham stays which is of course a big assumption), then their supporters would be right to question them.
Having watched a lot of LMS, and loving him dearly, I think he is a lot more of a Sykes than a Morley of a signing. Lima is much much better.
Good to excellent players signed by a coach that knows them inside out, addressing obvious needs. It's what every club wants to hear.

#79 The Boy Saint

The Boy Saint
  • Coach
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Jul 19 2010, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How much will you bet on that? I would be delighted to take you up on it if you're seriously suggesting that Hoffman will have as little impact for us next year as Dallas has had with the Catalans. Indeed, I would bite your hand off.
The evidence suggests MM knows what he is doing, given what he has achieved with the limited squad he has inherited. The evidence suggests he ought to know the Melbourne players pretty well.
If Saints had signed these players (assuming Graham stays which is of course a big assumption), then their supporters would be right to question them.
Having watched a lot of LMS, and loving him dearly, I think he is a lot more of a Sykes than a Morley of a signing. Lima is much much better.
Good to excellent players signed by a coach that knows them inside out, addressing obvious needs. It's what every club wants to hear.

I'll quite happily bet that Hoffman has a similar impact to Johnson. Firstly because he isnt as good a player as Johnson and secondly, if its true that he has only signed a one year deal then he isnt interested enough to give it a good enough go in SL.

I do agree MM "appears" to know what he is doing but for me he would have been better placed putting his faith in the likes of Mossop to replace Bailey and promoting the next youngster.

#80 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Jul 19 2010, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good to excellent players signed by a coach

We still on about the same 3 or have you signed others since?

biggrin.gif

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users