• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,040 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (Padge @ Jul 19 2010, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The 3:00 v 3:30 kick off I believe tied in with local licensing laws.

On a Saturday afternoon, under restricted opening hours, different areas had slightly different hours.

Kick offs were timed around the pub hours.

Leigh traditionally have a 3:30 ko where as Wigan was always 3:00, Saturday afternoon in Wigan pubs shut at 3:00 and in Leigh it was 3:30.

When the games moved to Sunday it stayed that way as on a Sunday the pubs shut at 2:00 or 2:30 but clubs had an hours extension.

Basically they didn't want to compete with the pubs and clubs

Also bare in mind that many clubs had their own supporters club which made money for the club and you would want to maximize the amount of time supporters were in the bar.

In the days when I was a regular at Belle Vue it always puzzled me how they got away with keeping the bars open on Sunday afternoons.
Clubs certainly moved from Saturday to Sunday because of counter attractions of Saturdays, including live sport on TV (not necessarily Rugby) Racing for starters. My uncle a miner would spend his entire Saturday afternoon flitting between the bookies at the bottom of the street and his TV.

Edited by Trojan, 19 July 2010 - 04:16 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#22 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,018 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Jul 19 2010, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the days when I was a regular at Belle Vue it always puzzled me how they got away with keeping the bars open on Sunday afternoons.
Clubs certainly moved from Saturday to Sunday because of counter attractions of Saturdays, including live sport on TV (not necessarily Rugby) Racing for starters. My uncle a miner would spend his entire Saturday afternoon flitting between the bookies at the bottom of the street and his TV.

At Central Park despite the old licensing laws the bars on the ground always opened all through the game when games where on Saturday and on SUnday, they even managed to get an extension on the Sunday to allow the Sullivan bar to stay open for an hour after the game had finished. Another licensing oddity was that after the game on a Sunday, despite pubs and clubs having to wait until 7:00PM to open, the Rugby Club opened at 5:00PM after the game.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users