Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Bizarre facial injuries...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:10 AM

I've already posted this on the Community Forum but thought it was worthy of interest on here as well:

Next time the RFL are looking for a catchy slogan they could consider: "You don't have to be mad to play amateur rugby league, but it helps!"

#2 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:00 AM

Oh my!

I think a whip round is needed for a first aid kit instead of the electrician and plumbers kit they have

Bet he frightened his wife and kids when got home ohmy.gif

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#3 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE (amh @ Jul 19 2010, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh my!

I think a whip round is needed for a first aid kit instead of the electrician and plumbers kit they have

Bet he frightened his wife and kids when got home ohmy.gif

We've had 3 First Aid kits stolen so we've gone DIY. We fixed a broken leg earlier this season by nailing a plank of wood to the leg.

He hasn't got kids but if he did he could also say he was Iron Man.

Edited by tim2, 19 July 2010 - 07:39 AM.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#4 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:33 PM

Apparently I managed to kick one of my own teammates in the kneecap when we'd made a tackle on Saturday. Didn't realise I'd done it but apparently I booted him pretty hard so he was hobbling for part of the game. Oops!

By the way, I'm suprised nobody has posted a picture of the WWF (pre-name change) Wrestler 'Kane' ("The Big Red Machine/Monster") from the start of the 2000s. Hahah.

Edited by HappyDave, 19 July 2010 - 05:58 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#5 RMam

RMam
  • Coach
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

This MUST be of interest to the tape company for advertising use!! Brilliant photo!

#6 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (tim2 @ Jul 19 2010, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We fixed a broken leg earlier this season by nailing a plank of wood to the leg.

Wow, there was me thinking it would need a plastercast, top work, i'll remember that one biggrin.gif

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#7 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:57 PM

Joking aside, we have had enough of injuries now.

Our best U14 player, who is in his first season of rugby and is potentially a very good prospect, broke his arm yesterday. He played for most of the game with the break.

One of our U16s is in hospital having had an operation of a haemotoma on his leg.

We have had 3 broken legs and a slew of other injuries.

This is a tough sport.

#8 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

Yeah, we've a lot of injuries too this season, including a few broken hands but no broke legs or arms (well, a fractured forearm but no broken limbs?). T'is a very tough sport indeed. Oddly as I have a weakness in my ankle I sprained my ankle in the warm-up for before playing the whole in of a pre-season 'friendly'. Only took 3 weeks off after playing 80 mins down south London as I realised I'd completely knackered it. Damn! I managed to tweek my achiles in the 70th min at Elmbridge on Sat but managed to play out the 80 with the help of my friend 'Deep Freeze'... Going to get it looked at in the off-season.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#9 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (HappyDave @ Jul 19 2010, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, we've a lot of injuries too this season, including a few broken hands but no broke legs or arms (well, a fractured forearm but no broken limbs?). T'is a very tough sport indeed. Oddly as I have a weakness in my ankle I sprained my ankle in the warm-up for before playing the whole in of a pre-season 'friendly'. Only took 3 weeks off after playing 80 mins down south London as I realised I'd completely knackered it. Damn! I managed to tweek my achiles in the 70th min at Elmbridge on Sat but managed to play out the 80 with the help of my friend 'Deep Freeze'... Going to get it looked at in the off-season.

Blimmin eck it doesn't seem very long since you were announcing your debut - tha sounds like an old time now biggrin.gif

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#10 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,770 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (tim2 @ Jul 19 2010, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Joking aside, we have had enough of injuries now.

Our best U14 player, who is in his first season of rugby and is potentially a very good prospect, broke his arm yesterday. He played for most of the game with the break.

One of our U16s is in hospital having had an operation of a haemotoma on his leg.

We have had 3 broken legs and a slew of other injuries.

This is a tough sport.

Tim - Do you think this might be down to harder summer grounds at amatuer clubs, where there aren't resources to soften up the grass?

#11 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (amh @ Jul 20 2010, 12:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Blimmin eck it doesn't seem very long since you were announcing your debut - tha sounds like an old time now biggrin.gif

Hahah. Yeah, it's still my debut season (was my debut the back end of March? Can't remember) but I've managed to play 3 full games this season. I don't think I fit enough. 80 mins on amateur RL is freakin' knackering!... Especially when you're on the back foot & defending the majority of the game. Cripes!

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Jul 20 2010, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tim - Do you think this might be down to harder summer grounds at amatuer clubs, where there aren't resources to soften up the grass?

Ah! I see you've been to Southampton (& Hove too?)... biggrin.gif

Edited by HappyDave, 20 July 2010 - 06:19 PM.

#12 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (Pottsy @ Jul 19 2010, 01:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Next time the RFL are looking for a catchy slogan they could consider: "You don't have to be mad to play amateur rugby league, but it helps!"

Actually I'd agree with that analogy. Hah.

#13 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Jul 20 2010, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not really, we didn't have this problem last year and one of the broken legs was after it had rained heavily for several days before and he slipped into the tackle causing an awkward landing.

The worst injuries I've seen have been in the winter.

#14 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:47 PM

I think amateur RL players' work colleagues must think we're self-abusers. laugh.gif I think I only got tackled once on Saturday gone (the guy pulled my short down... What the....?) but I've managed to come away with bruises on my thighs, inside knees (MCL soft-tissue damage?) & finger-shape bruises all over my left bicep.

I think Rugby (both codes) must be the only team sport were team-mates rib their team-mates if they show any signs of pain.

#15 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,262 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:24 PM

In one of games an opponent tried to charge a kick down. He was going at full pelt and our kicker hit it way too low and it went at 90 mph straight into the defender's stones.

Why is it that, despite knowing how much it hurts, men find it hilarious when this happens to someone else.

#16 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:44 PM

Did both teams, the Ref & guys in the crowd all go "Ooooo!" & grab their 'nads before laughing?... Actually My mistake; Refs don't laugh. laugh.gif

Edited by HappyDave, 22 July 2010 - 08:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users