15 years on

I don't think having a second tier based on the Batley model is a desirable thing for RL. We'd be left with a second tier watched by a handful of care-in-the community style fans, with most other normal people drifting away to other sports/pastimes.

If the Batley model is so great, why are the worst supported clubs in NL1 those which have no desire to go up?

This is what we'll end up with, as I'm sure there are still a fair few fans at Fev, Leigh, Widnes etc who are watching with the goal of competing with the best

You wouldn't think that would you though, self interest and all that (and nowt wrong with that!)

It won't be too long before Widnes are out of your list and Fev, Leigh, Barrow and Halifax are on it.

Any of those could grace Superleague if they had a decent ground and a few million to spare.

But clubs are where they are because there's not a lot of money in the game.

Dreamers often ignore realities by definition, so Trojan won't say where Fev will get a few million to compete in SL for 3 years, You won't say where Leigh will find a few million and Mick wouldn't say with any reality how Barrow would find a few million.

Once NL clubs feel shut out enough of course a "fair few fans" may drift off. Once NL becomes a better organised competition in it's own right rather than a holding division for SL wannabees that can't afford to be in SL "a fair few new fans" may come along to support it.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is about a change of mentality.. one that batley have, which is that it is not all about winning the championship = promotion but that winning the championship is being crowned champs. They arent planning on super league now BUT a few more championships, bigger crowd, more money etc and they may well do.

If Eagles win the champ this year (i know they wont but you can dream) then that in itslef would be a fantastic result.. what would it lead to? nothing absolutely nothing, except we would have won the championship and i would be more than happy..

in reality of course winning attracts people to the club, it attracts players from other clubs, it gets you column inches it gets kids to stand up and recognise the sport it gets you to build the club. by building the club you start to get towards super league and what it needs for you to join.

Here here you tell the London basher :D

I have always thought it would be a good idea to allow clubs who seriously want to be in SL the chance to have a go, I have sympathy with the "snapshot in time" argument when SL chose their members all those years ago.

Trouble is leigh did have a go, yet Lobby still thinks they are candidates. Halifax had a go and it ended disasterously with a sub 3000 average crowd and the lowest ever spend on players in SL. Today people are again reasoning that Halifax would go well in SL :rolleyes: .

Mr. Johnson hasn't to my knowledge stated any SL ambition, although I have half a recall that they applied and withdrew???, but I think Fev applied and were turned down so maybe they should go in and get a chance at least, if only to shut Tro up ( ;) ) But where oh where would they find the money or fans to compete???

It may be a long time yet before the cloud of misery over NL dissapears and a more positive air blows in, but after Widnes leave there will only be relatively small clubs left in the NL and a few larger clubs who tried SL once and it didn't agree with them.....

Maybe then we can see NL go forward and be the great competition it can be...........

so waht was the point about London you were making?

i

If Widnes, Barrow, Leigh, Fev, Barrow should be happy to play in the Championship, why aren't London?

I know you'll have an answer.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Maybe then we can see NL go forward and be the great competition it can be...........

In the long run no doubt they'll come to terms with playing in the Championship with no reward for winning it and crowds that dwindle year on year. Perhaps it'll be when they go out of existence. Perhaps if franchising had been indtroduced in 1977 when Fev were Champs we could be in favour of it? Or when Leigh were champs, in 1981. Or perhaps Wigan would have been happy to be stuck in the second tier in 1980/81.

The advocates of franchising are those like you Parky who support a side that's never likely to be threatened by relegation so don't really give a f*ck what happens to the teams below them(apart from availing them of the opportunity for a good sneer). And those who support the likes of London and Crusaders.

Edited by Trojan

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.