7 replies to this topic

#1 WalesRLFan

WalesRLFan
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:00 PM

Step 1
split and restructure leagues
Super League Prem (full current SL salary cap)
Wigan Warriors
Warrington Wolves
St Helens
Leeds Rhinos
Hull FC
Catalan Dragons
Huddersfield Giants
Hull Kingston Rovers
Castleford Tigers
Bradford Bulls

Super League 1 (89-85% curent SL salary cap)
Crusaders RL
Harlequins RL
Wakefield Trinity Wildcats
Salford City Reds
Widnes Vikings
Barrow Raiders
Leigh Centurions
Fetherstone Rovers
Halifax
Toulouse Olimpique

Championship (part-time Current Champ salary cap)
Sheffield Eagles
Keighley Cougars
Whitehaven
Batley Bulldogs
South Wales Scorpions
Dewsbury Rams
Hunslet Hawks
York City Knights
Legizignan(or other French Club)
Oldham

Championship 1 (part -time pay as you play/current salary cap)
Workington Town
Rochdale Hornets
Blackpool Panthers
Swinton Lions
Doncaster
Gateshead Thunder
London Skolars
Winner of RLCN
A N OTHER
A N OTHER these 2 places open to applications from new/existing clubs (poss 1 midland and 1 wales?)

National Conference and RL Conference National merged
Premier
Div 1
Div 2 east, Div 2 west, Div 2 South (play off top 2 each league for promotion)
regional conference leagues

Promotion and Relegation from 1 league to next providing meet Sadium/development/attendance/financial criteria of league above

Magic Weekend is now Challenge Cup QuarterFinals instead of extra SL round

The play offs now only top 4, (1v4, 2v3 and final)

Reduced fixture list frees up 8 weekends for Intl/rep football
proposed fixtures
Season Opener Mid/late feb:- Homegrown Allstars v SL Allstars (players and coaches voted for by Public)
Apr 25th (ANZAC DAY) or nearest sat: Double header England v ANZAC Warriors and England 'A' v France in London at 20,000ish capacity stadium
Origin/War of Roses (double header withCumbria v South?)
England v Other Nationalities
England V Celtic Nations or Europe
(poss mid season 3way tourn ANZAC/England/Europe
Eg teams
England v ANZAC
Widdop 1 Hodgson
Fox 2 Meli
Bridge 3 King
Shenton 4 Gidley
Hall 5 Roberts
Tomkins 6 Chase
Eastmond 7 Orford
Morley 8 O'Meley
Roby 9 Leului
Graham 10 Puletua
Ellis 11 Johnson
Burgess 12 Flannery
O'Loughlin 13 Fitzgibbon
Peacock INT Buderus
Sinfield INT Lauititi
Westwood INT Solomona
Crabtree INT Eastwood

England 'A'
1 L. Smith
2 T. Briscoe
3 R. Atkins
4 K. Yeaman
5 J. Lomax
6 L. Pryce
7 R. Myler
8 L. McCarthy Scarsbrook
9 S. Lunt
10 G.Carvell
11 J. Tomkins
12 D. Tickle
13 J. Langley
INT Scruton
INT Wilkin
INT Diskin
INT AN OTHER

#2 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:29 PM

So... Seeing as I'm guessing you're Welsh is that your reason for placing South Wales Scorpions in the wrong league?... Or is this meant to be in 10 years time when you expect them to have been promoted? laugh.gif

Btw, you've put Cas & les Cats in the wrong 'Super League' so Toulouse would have to remain in the 'Championship'. laugh.gif

Edited by HappyDave, 22 July 2010 - 06:33 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#3 WalesRLFan

WalesRLFan
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:37 PM

No as it is a new league and I believe they would warrant a place in that league as it stands, the single biggest problem RL faces in wales is the money thrown about in Union in Wales, players can earn upwards of 500/month playing 5th tier rugby (with the average wage in that ''amateur'' league(div3) is prob 200-300 amonth) prob similar to what Champ1 teams earn, so Higher league +more money = more converts from higher union leagues (and lets not forget the basic skills are same in both codes) and lets not forget majority of scorps team is union converts and doing fine
Who would you include instead of them in the proposed new structure?

#4 WalesRLFan

WalesRLFan
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:41 PM

and who instead of cas and cats

#5 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,173 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:42 PM

I'd merge down the top 3 divisions to 14 and 16ish teams (which a few switches round) as 10 teams isn't enough (though there is a case for 12 sides in SL). Then look at merging the remainder C1 with the top of the NCL as part of a National League structure

Edited by bowes, 22 July 2010 - 06:44 PM.

#6 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:46 PM

The biggest problem with this is how you fund it.I bet the ten clubs in the SL prem would be close to 1m out of pocket

#7 WalesRLFan

WalesRLFan
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

yes they would lose money
but fewer games would mean need smaller squad so drop 3overpaid imports from each squad also would save money not travelling as often, would fans spend more at games on food/drink/merchandise if they were paying less often at gate?
More Internationals and rep games would generate more for RFL and more media exposure so money could come in other ways

obviously the way clubs are placed is just an idea and clubs would need to be assessed on finances/development programmes and other relevant criteria but at present is based roughly on league performance(i know cats are struggling this year but i believe it to be a blip)

Obviously the whole idea is just that, an idea. but i believe it is not a bad starting point

#8 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (WalesRLFan @ Jul 22 2010, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and who instead of cas and cats

Wakey?...

QUOTE (WalesRLFan @ Jul 22 2010, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No as it is a new league and I believe they would warrant a place in that league as it stands, the single biggest problem RL faces in wales is the money thrown about in Union in Wales, players can earn upwards of 500/month playing 5th tier rugby (with the average wage in that ''amateur'' league(div3) is prob 200-300 amonth) prob similar to what Champ1 teams earn, so Higher league +more money = more converts from higher union leagues (and lets not forget the basic skills are same in both codes) and lets not forget majority of scorps team is union converts and doing fine
Who would you include instead of them in the proposed new structure?

Are you claiming if you took a team like Leicester Tigers, Bath or Saracens and trained then RL in the pre-season they'd be the same skill level as Wires, Leeds & Wigan at RL?... laugh.gif It doesn't work like that. Somehow I don't think Scorpions would be upto Co-op Championship level yet or be financially stable enough to survive.

Edited by HappyDave, 22 July 2010 - 11:18 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users