• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE (thirteenthman @ Jul 26 2010, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Winning the Northern Rail Cup or the Grand Final should be a great honour on its own. The problem comes with the franchise system which, no matter how hard the RFL try to dress it up, overshadows the whole season. Thus the perception is that Widnes aren't really that bothered. And then there was the hysterical reaction to Leigh's possible relegation last year which would've prevented them from being able to apply for a franchise.

The fundemental question that needs to be answered is whether you want a league set up to be for the betterment of the game and the national team, or do you want a league set up to satisfy the demands of all the member clubs. The two are very different things. At the moment we have a sort of half-way house system trying to please both camps, and I really don't think it's working.

How is alientating all clubs/fans of non-SL clubs, good for the game and the National team?

If you assume that non-heartland teams could be ring fenced in a P&R system, then the only clubs benefiting from this nobhead franchising system we have are Cas, Wakey, Salford and Bradford. Are their crowds much higher now than they were under P&R? Compare that with how poor crowds are in NL1 (compared to how they would be with P&R - Widnes V Leigh was half of what it would have been with P&R - check the equivalent fixture in the early 2000's)

To be honest I think that strengthening the club game in the heartlands and in pastures new, is the best way to help the national team. The only way to do that is to have a proper pyramid structure in place

#22 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Jul 26 2010, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How is alientating all clubs/fans of non-SL clubs, good for the game and the National team?

If you assume that non-heartland teams could be ring fenced in a P&R system, then the only clubs benefiting from this nobhead franchising system we have are Cas, Wakey, Salford and Bradford. Are their crowds much higher now than they were under P&R? Compare that with how poor crowds are in NL1 (compared to how they would be with P&R - Widnes V Leigh was half of what it would have been with P&R - check the equivalent fixture in the early 2000's)

To be honest I think that strengthening the club game in the heartlands and in pastures new, is the best way to help the national team. The only way to do that is to have a proper pyramid structure in place

I wasn't saying that alienating the fans was good for the game. I just don't think a return to p+r as it used to be would help the game anymore than the current system of franchising does. Player development is the most critical issue facing the game, and the short-term mentality that p+r brings won't help that one bit.

I know you'll give me a thousand reasons why, but I don't recall Leigh adding a great deal to Super League back in 2005. ph34r.gif

#23 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Jul 26 2010, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only way to do that is to have a proper pyramid structure in place

To surmise the last year or so.
We want our oval ball game played in a pyramid structure based in rectangular stadia?
All pear shaped.... wink.gif
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users