Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

INTRERNATIONAL REPRSESENTATION

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,914 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (Shadow @ Jul 27 2010, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you'll find that in fact both Rugby League and Athletics have laughable international eligibility policies.

Hope this helps.

that's what I'm saying
the recieved wisdom is that rugby league is the only sport to do this.

union does it by inventing mze like regulkations to circumvent these little inconveniences.
Did it help? Nah.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#42 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,039 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (l'angelo mysterioso @ Jul 27 2010, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that's what I'm saying
the recieved wisdom is that rugby league is the only sport to do this.

union does it by inventing mze like regulkations to circumvent these little inconveniences.
Did it help? Nah.

"Maze like"?

Once a player chooses a country at open level (ie not age group / school boy etc) at either 1st XV or 2nd XV level or at Sevens they are tied to that country and cannot play for anyone else.

Yeah, terribly complex rolleyes.gif
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#43 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,434 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (Lee @ Jul 26 2010, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Getting there but why there?

Why not say England?

I think (not 100% certain) that her coach was Slovenian, so that would probably be down to him being persuasive.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#44 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (l'angelo mysterioso @ Jul 27 2010, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my point relates to the mantra that rugby league is a laughing stock because it allows players to play for more than one country, and clearly thiss is not true, because one of the main sports on the planet does this: rightly or wrongly.

Rugby league IS a laughing stock to it's own supporters for allowing nation hopping. I don't care what other sports do. I, as a rugby league supporter, want it to have firm rules to prevent nation hopping occuring. I don't give a toss what athletics or any other sport does.

rldfsignature.jpg

#45 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Jul 27 2010, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rugby league IS a laughing stock to it's own supporters for allowing nation hopping. I don't care what other sports do. I, as a rugby league supporter, want it to have firm rules to prevent nation hopping occuring. I don't give a toss what athletics or any other sport does.

Me too, second that entirely.

#46 T Dub

T Dub
  • Coach
  • 961 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:24 PM

Manus selection is enough to put me off buying a ticket for the next international, and Im one of the few who value the international game over any club

#47 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (l'angelo mysterioso @ Jul 26 2010, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't go for the idea of countries in that big a way.

Begging your pardon...........................I rest my case on that note, chum!! ohmy.gif

#48 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,914 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (petero @ Jul 27 2010, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Begging your pardon...........................I rest my case on that note, chum!! ohmy.gif

what case?
we all have our own world view.
Keeping it local

#49 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (l'angelo mysterioso @ Jul 27 2010, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what case?
we all have our own world view.

Maybe that is so but I was simply displaying your statement concerning the part of not DOING countries. I have already heard of your views otherwise and frankly I am not interested in them.

All I can say is thank God that women and children won't have to rely on you to pick up your musket and provide them with protection. mad.gif

#50 verbatim

verbatim
  • Coach
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (petero @ Jul 27 2010, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe that is so but I was simply displaying your statement concerning the part of not DOING countries. I have already heard of your views otherwise and frankly I am not interested in them.

All I can say is thank God that women and children won't have to rely on you to pick up your musket and provide them with protection. mad.gif

And who exactly would him and his musket be defending them from?

If a person is born in New Zealand, has parents / grandparents from Samoa and ends up living and playing in England it is entirely believable that they could have a desire to represent any of the countries. Having been born in England to English parents the only country i would have a desire to play for would be England, but that doesn't mean i want to stop others representing the nations they feel a connection to.

#51 verbatim

verbatim
  • Coach
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (Lee @ Jul 26 2010, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didnt Pat Richards turn England down cos our Australian friend "felt" more Irish?

Maybe he felt more Irish because both his parents were Irish. If you watch his interview on Skys super leagues supermen it is clear to see he was proud to represent the country of his parents.

#52 verbatim

verbatim
  • Coach
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:01 PM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Jul 27 2010, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also don't care what other sports do. I, as a rugby league supporter am happy that we as a sport allow players to play for the countries they choose to represent.

#53 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:35 AM

QUOTE (verbatim @ Jul 27 2010, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And who exactly would him and his musket be defending them from?

If a person is born in New Zealand, has parents / grandparents from Samoa and ends up living and playing in England it is entirely believable that they could have a desire to represent any of the countries. Having been born in England to English parents the only country i would have a desire to play for would be England, but that doesn't mean i want to stop others representing the nations they feel a connection to.

So in your eyes your hypothetical player could quite happily represent all three nations witout any quibbles from yourself?

rldfsignature.jpg

#54 T Dub

T Dub
  • Coach
  • 961 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE (verbatim @ Jul 27 2010, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also don't care what other sports do. I, as a rugby league supporter am happy that we as a sport allow players to play for the countries they choose to represent.

If you want England to become a SL Allstars side then fine, lobby for that then buy a ticket.

As a RL supporter Id prefer that the England RL team represented the state of our game in this country and was made up of people who were born and grew up here

Picking a team from players witha technicality in their parents birth certificate or who blew in from overseas and lived here for a few years and fancied their chances devalues teh international game eyond credibility

#55 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,914 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (petero @ Jul 27 2010, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you still don't get it
and you don't have a clue about where I stand on defending my homeand you ignoramus
Keeping it local

#56 Southern Tiger

Southern Tiger
  • Coach
  • 457 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:58 PM

Why not just adopt the same policy as Origin, wherever your first amateur club was situated will determin which country you are eligable to play for - simple and unbreakable!
If you don't like Rugby League, you don't like Rugby

Posted Image

#57 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE (nadera78 @ Jul 27 2010, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ice Hockey has a similar rule, whereby you need to be a citizen of the country you play for. If a player changes nationality, having never played for his first country, then he needs to prove he has played two consecutive years in the domestic competition of his new country. If he has already played internationally before switching then this needs to be four years.

I could probably live with that.

btw Willie Manu is not a UK citizen.

It seems like the Ice Hockey types have got it all sorted out to me.

And if Willie Manu is not a UK citizen then I don't see how he should be eligible to play for this country.

That's me.  I'm done.

#58 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,039 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (deluded pom? @ Jul 28 2010, 06:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So in your eyes your hypothetical player could quite happily represent all three nations witout any quibbles from yourself?

I'd be happy for this hypothetical player to represent any of these nations but once he's chosen one he has to stick with it.
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#59 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (Shadow @ Jul 28 2010, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be happy for this hypothetical player to represent any of these nations but once he's chosen one he has to stick with it.

I agree but verbatim would be happy for him to represent all three should he so desire.

rldfsignature.jpg

#60 T Dub

T Dub
  • Coach
  • 961 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (l'angelo mysterioso @ Jul 26 2010, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's disguting isn't it?
Perhaps someone shoiuld tell 50 year old Jamaican Merlene Ottey who will now represent Slovenia in the Olympics. She took part in the 1980 Moscow Olympics.
Athletics in terms of geographical spread and numbers is one of the biggest sports on earth. They don't have abeef with it. Good for them

Saw five minutes of athletics tonight, a 100m heat.

One of the athletes with an American name was respresenting Austria, another representing Norway and a banned drugs cheat was representing GB.

Lets not lose our credibility to that extent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users