INTRERNATIONAL REPRSESENTATION

That wasnt my point. The characters I saw lining up clearly had no heritage from the nations they were representing. I could have defined two of them by skin colour but (lest anyone get touchy and accusative) preferred to do so by name.

Shock appointment by the British Olympic Committee today as Steve Macnamara was poached from England RL; "Were going for gearld in 2012, The whole country will be inspired by Team GB, weve filled our national squad with some second string Ethiopian long distant runners, picked up a few Chinese gymnasts whove been living here for almost a year now and weve got a medal shot in archery with a bloke from Bhutan who has a grandfather from the Isle of Man. I'm doing whats best for Team GB"

Maybe we just forget representitive international competition if the competitors have no relevance to the nations theyre representing?

What utter and complete bull$hit. Steve would have said "gorld" not "gearld". ;)

rldfsignature.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what are your origins?

I sure as hell don't know mine.

becauswe 'others do it' has nothing to do with the point, which is this and I repeat: there is a long standing mantra that only rugby league allows players to play for more than one country. This is untrue, because at least one other sport does-athletics. I'm flexible about these things and said so, but I placed no value on the fact that otheer sports do, merely pointed it out in the context of people saying that only rugby league does it.

I do not possess the characteristics of wide nostrils, thick lips or a skin the colour of jet!

Now I as you say I cannot be sure of my origins ( genetically and historically) but what does transpire in that descriptive is ( unless we are taking it back to Austrolapithicus..........Lucy or further?) then it is unlikely mine will be described as African British is it?

What a stupid bloody argument you are trying to make!

The entire question here is not of mine, yours or indeed anyone's lineage. It is simply one of ethical representation in sport on an internationally representative basis.

I happen, as do others, to disagree with your non-country aspect, for the simple reason that international constitutes that form of representation and becomes a joke when anyone from anywhere can turn up willy nilly and decide to represent a country of their choice, apparently on a whim.

If you cannot understand where my point of view comes from then so be it, but carrying on this silly bloody question to the extremes you have is absolutely pointless.

PS whoever stated that ONLY R/L does this, I certainly did not!!

I've never seen anyone claim that "only RL do this". Plenty of people will disagree with nation hopping but that's not to say they are saying it only happens in RL. It happens in plenty of sports but in my eyes two wrongs don't make a right. As an aside was the original poster slightly merry when he typed out the title of this thread?

rldfsignature.jpg

I do not possess the characteristics of wide nostrils, thick lips or a skin the colour of jet!

Now I as you say I cannot be sure of my origins ( genetically and historically) but what does transpire in that descriptive is ( unless we are taking it back to Austrolapithicus..........Lucy or further?) then it is unlikely mine will be described as African British is it?

What a stupid bloody argument you are trying to make!

The entire question here is not of mine, yours or indeed anyone's lineage. It is simply one of ethical representation in sport on an internationally representative basis.

I happen, as do others, to disagree with your non-country aspect, for the simple reason that international constitutes that form of representation and becomes a joke when anyone from anywhere can turn up willy nilly and decide to represent a country of their choice, apparently on a whim.

If you cannot understand where my point of view comes from then so be it, but carrying on this silly bloody question to the extremes you have is absolutely pointless.

PS whoever stated that ONLY R/L does this, I certainly did not!!

the fact that you perpetuate this 'non country' nosense shoqws how much you understand

your first sentence informs the quality of your rhetoric excellently.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I've never seen anyone claim that "only RL do this". Plenty of people will disagree with nation hopping but that's not to say they are saying it only happens in RL. It happens in plenty of sports but in my eyes two wrongs don't make a right. As an aside was the original poster slightly merry when he typed out the title of this thread?

I've seen and heard it many times.

I wasn't trying to justify anything

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

That wasnt my point. The characters I saw lining up clearly had no heritage from the nations they were representing. I could have defined two of them by skin colour but (lest anyone get touchy and accusative) preferred to do so by name

That has nothing to do with it. If they choose to become citizens of another country and then represent that country, there is no problem whatsoever.

If they choose to represent another country having represented one already then it contestable.

Eoin Morgan opting for England is fine with me.

What undermines this however in my view is the rules allowing him to do so after playing international cricket for Ireland already. I don't see how a cricketing nation like England which has the largest professional setup in the world should be allowed to pilfer players already qualified for a country. Dirk Nannes is the same. He's an Aussie who played for Netherlands then played for Australia.

I don't know the Israeli athlete but if he hasn't represented Ukraine then there should be no problem. Israel's Galicianer population soared in the early 90s when Jews were finally able to leave countries previously under the boot of the USSR.

the fact that you perpetuate this 'non country' nosense shoqws how much you understand

your first sentence informs the quality of your rhetoric excellently.

Caused some heat under your collar did it?

Look you stated that you did not go in for this 'countries nonsense', or words to that effect, so please do not carry on making out that I have made up what you first claimed.

That is the reason I have put it back to you, maybe you ought to check the posts you have made on this thread before making yourself seem sillier that you appear to be.