TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Any truth in the rumour

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,244 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (skep155 @ Jul 28 2010, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Toulouse should be aiming for 2015 now, unless an SL side goes bust before then.

Even then they're ineligible. If a team goes bust most likely whoever would have gone down will get a reprieve.

Nothing short of a big French TV deal allowing expansion of SL would see them in before 2015 and even then it's not looking likely unfortunately

#22 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Jul 28 2010, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds terrible. Really.

You think that 16 Uk teams and 5 French teams would be better than the current setup? It may be something to aspire to, but the standard would be appalling.

What a daft thing to say

How would you notice if the standard was appalling? Never does RU any harm anway

For me the standard is to have close games - not necessarily harlem globetrotting, or X-Men power

Best way to have close games is to make sure the best players are spread around, and that might mean a draft system for ANZACS

In the long run the standard would be much better for England, Wales and France as there'd simply be more professionals being top level

#23 Philippe Barrau

Philippe Barrau
  • 9,142 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:06 AM

remenber

the last who goes bust was W..... wink.gif

don't be afraid about Toulouse, all is right in this town and there is no crisis like in England. biggrin.gif

#24 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Jul 28 2010, 11:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How would you notice if the standard was appalling? Never does RU any harm anway
For me the standard is to have close games - not necessarily harlem globetrotting, or X-Men power

Best way to have close games is to make sure the best players are spread around, and that might mean a draft system for ANZACS

In the long run the standard would be much better for England, Wales and France as there'd simply be more professionals being top level
biggrin.gif You actually have a good point with the bit in bold!

Personally, whilst I was dismissive of your idea, it was more about the fact that I don't think we are anywhere near ready to do that at the moment. I would love to see a French conference, but think this needs to be worked on over a period of time, likewise with getting 3 more English teams in.

My main concern, and going back to the point of the standard being appalling is due to the attitude of the average RL fan in this country. Yep, I know that Union and Football have plenty of dire standard games, but for some reason RL fans are far more critical of their sport than other sport's fans IMHO.

I am happy with the principle of your post, but to suggest that we shouldn't have just put 1 French team in, and we should have had these 21 teams just seems a bit reckless to me, and I would love to see a 10-12 year strategy which has the ultimate aim of your suggestions (with tweaks).

We are already getting fans moaning now though that 14 teams is too many and the standard is lower, which isn't a view I share, but RL fans love to be vocal about the negative things in the game.

#25 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (Philippe Barrau @ Jul 28 2010, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Keighley ? rolleyes.gif

Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#26 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,244 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Jul 28 2010, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Keighley ? rolleyes.gif

Did they go bust or just administration? Gateshead definitely went bust

#27 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE (bowes @ Jul 28 2010, 12:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did they go bust or just administration? Gateshead definitely went bust

Keighley went into administration.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#28 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (Philippe Barrau @ Jul 28 2010, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
remenber

don't be afraid about Toulouse, all is right in this town and there is no crisis like in England. biggrin.gif

Come on, you can't leave it at that! What else do you know?
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#29 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (bowes @ Jul 28 2010, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Theoretically would probably be a better word. I meant it should be open to British and Irish clubs even if in practice there won't be any of the latter at least in the immediate future

I though you might mean clubs that are Irish in name only - a bit like London Irish in union, maybe Lancashire Irish or some such. biggrin.gif
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#30 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,244 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (Methven Hornet @ Jul 28 2010, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I though you might mean clubs that are Irish in name only - a bit like London Irish in union, maybe Lancashire Irish or some such. biggrin.gif

London in name only too, though got the right idea leaving London to better markets elsewhere

#31 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,484 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (Terry Mullaney @ Jul 28 2010, 03:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did I understand Mr France rightly that the RFL can directly invite into SL, a club which is not in the Championship. Hence the reason behind them dropping out, allegedly.

blink.gif That would'nt surprise many mad.gif

#32 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,717 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE (Terry Mullaney @ Jul 27 2010, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did I understand Mr France rightly that the RFL can directly invite into SL, a club which is not in the Championship. Hence the reason behind them dropping out, allegedly.

It was Mr. Derwent that found a rule about being able to invite a european club directly into SL, and he quoted it direct on this forum. It was an excelent piece of work by him and something no journo has either picked up or checked. If a big investor wanted to start RL in a big stadia with all the criteria ticked the "winning an NL comp" would be a bar to that investor, never mind Toulouse.

So that may be why it was slipped in because the RFL remain the bar to Toulouse having rejected them more than once.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users