Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Warrington Wolves v St. Helens

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Warrington Wolves v St. Helens (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Warrington (7 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

2. St Helens (13 votes [54.17%])

Percentage of vote: 54.17%

3. Draw (4 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:33 AM

Discuss the game here!

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#2 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:35 AM

Glamour boys to choke, saints all the way biggrin.gif
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#3 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:41 AM

Not confident, but we've seen far worse teams than the current Wire one push Saints close, so its gotta happen sometime.

Problem is that this is a crucial game for 2nd, and I think Saints will be more than up for it and take the 2pts.

#4 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:09 PM

Leaving aside history, I cannot see beyond Wire for this. They are simply better equipped up front than Saints, and Saints have been relying on their younger players too much and for too long. Plus, I am gueesing that the semi will loom larger on Saints' minds (given that they like the cash and have a tougher game next week), which must be a factor here, as at Headingley.
Against that, though, we have the Saints' hoodoo over the Wire. I don't believe that teams bottle it. Any player that runs out to face Graham/Morley has more courage than sense. Wire's results are so anomolous statistically that, rather than say "it must end sometime" it bears closer analysis. I have no answers but I wonder whether it could be something to do with Briars under-performing, as he is pretty much the only player on Wire's side involved in the games. Particularly when Long was around, maybe Briars was conscious of having been shown the door by Saints. All groups look to their leaders, and if Briars is cowed, maybe that communicates itself to teh rest of the team? Not much of a theory but you have to start somewhere.

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Jul 28 2010, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Leaving aside history, I cannot see beyond Wire for this. They are simply better equipped up front than Saints, and Saints have been relying on their younger players too much and for too long. Plus, I am gueesing that the semi will loom larger on Saints' minds (given that they like the cash and have a tougher game next week), which must be a factor here, as at Headingley.
Against that, though, we have the Saints' hoodoo over the Wire. I don't believe that teams bottle it. Any player that runs out to face Graham/Morley has more courage than sense. Wire's results are so anomolous statistically that, rather than say "it must end sometime" it bears closer analysis. I have no answers but I wonder whether it could be something to do with Briars under-performing, as he is pretty much the only player on Wire's side involved in the games. Particularly when Long was around, maybe Briars was conscious of having been shown the door by Saints. All groups look to their leaders, and if Briars is cowed, maybe that communicates itself to teh rest of the team? Not much of a theory but you have to start somewhere.
On your first, line, ###### off! People always tip us in the week leading up to it, I'm taking sam's approach and I plead with you all to too!

On your second paragraph, tbf to Briers, it is always a big game for him personally, and he has very often been our best player, and has often outplayed Long (apart from the inevitable last second drop goal!).

God knows what it is, tbh I just think that it is a bit of a freak thing, as quite often we have been the better team for much of the game (as much as the losing team can be the better team) but have just been soft when it comes to the crucial moments. Saints have very very rarely failed to turn up and play in these games, but similarly, we have always seemed content to just stick with them, and be happy if we were close at half time, even when we were by far the better team.

We need to be ruthless, and we have shown some signs of that this year, but as I say, I'm going with the pessimistic outlook!

#6 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:56 PM

Hopefully a win to the Wire and Saints get tired out

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#7 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:45 PM

Warrington, simply because I want Saints to win to keep it tight at the top. I always get it wrong. Congratulations Wire!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#8 Castigers13

Castigers13
  • Players
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

Saints to have any easy win.

#9 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:50 PM

Since the 90's, we've developed a nasty habit of losing to Saints, it's almost a feckin tradition now.
Some seasons totally outclaseed, eg 80-0, 70-6, far too often being better for 70 mins, but never, ever getting to a safe margin and falling at the death.
It's a mental block, now, and a very big monkey to shake off.
With cup semis the following week, both teams could have other issues on their mind.
I can't see us being better placed going into this stage in the season again next year, and I suspect Wembley could be more important to Saints this season than to us, though I'm not saying we should throw the semi.
However, I think if we're ever going to shake that monkey off our backs, this is as good a chance as last time we beat them.
I'm not confident we will, though, it's them Saints, it's a mental/traditional thing now, logic isn't in it, I think another last 5 mins of heartbreak could be in the offing.
Saints at the death by 3.
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#10 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,434 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:51 PM

1 win out of 42 SL games
Last Wire win 2001

2 Semi final games for Wires, big big test of their mental and inner strength.

Wires 34 Saints 22

followed by a BIG win over the Cats.

Lets say, TS gave them the b0llocking of their lives after the Catalan game, Trust me i have been doing some work with the club over the last few weeks.

#11 saintsbird

saintsbird
  • Coach
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:03 PM

Gutted I cant go but at least can record it. More confident now KC & flanno back. Lets see if the monkey is still clinging. Would love to nick 2nd.

COME ON YOU SAINTS wink.gif
Posted Image
Progress live tour 10th June 2011

SOME THINGS IN LIFE YOU LOOK BACK ON & THINK THANK ###### I GOT OUT OF THAT

#12 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:05 PM

St Helens by 18 points.

Warrington are leaking too many at the back of late.

#13 saintsbird

saintsbird
  • Coach
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ Jul 28 2010, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
St Helens by 18 points.

oh ###### off.....thats just jinxed it for us wink.gif
Posted Image

#14 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (saintsbird @ Jul 28 2010, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh ###### off.....thats just jinxed it for us wink.gif

At least I hadn't jinxed it then. Yippee!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#15 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Jul 28 2010, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least I hadn't jinxed it then. Yippee!

Go on, you know you want to biggrin.gif
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#16 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,989 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:32 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Jul 28 2010, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Go on, you know you want to biggrin.gif

I've previously pinned my colours to the mast, only it seems I did it without any impression. Hmmph. dry.gif

Love meeeeee! sad.gif

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#17 saintsbird

saintsbird
  • Coach
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Jul 28 2010, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've previously pinned my colours to the mast, only it seems I did it without any impression. Hmmph. dry.gif

Love meeeeee! sad.gif

biggrin.gif your not usually as big a jinx as Mick so dont have the same impact

Do love you though wink.gif wub.gif xx
Posted Image

#18 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:11 AM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ Jul 28 2010, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
St Helens by 18 points.

So are Saints - exhibit A - 34 points conceded in home game v Salford.

A big week for both teams with tough CC semi action the following weekend. Saints to shade it on Saturday with no more injuries please.

#19 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 738 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:26 PM

Warrington 80,St.Helens............................0.

REVENGE AT LAST! rolleyes.gif
2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#20 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:38 PM

I think this is Wire's for the taking. Saints are not going to push it with Leeds next week in the cup.

Saying that this is the bogey team, I just cant imagine walking out of the HJ with that winning feeling.

Hope I am wrong! rolleyes.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users