Amateur Rugby League

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

Yeah, some good points but I'm glad to see that accidental high-tackles aren't an immediate sin-binning in the amateur game although it could be argued it should be at pro & semi-pro level. Obviously the ref should always issue a verbal warning & give a penalty for a high tackle. Whereas if it is intentional that's either a sin-binning of a sending off.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#42 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,369 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (HappyDave @ Aug 21 2010, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
South South Yorkshire? Cool.

No, it's in Derbyshire

Just wondering; recently one of our Backs from Union said he'd play Second Row (he's only 12st), as he didn't think there was much difference between most RL positions. Would an Amateur team risk playing a smaller guy in the forwards? If not why not? Is it because they would have difficulty taking down big forwards running at them? Or they could get injured in that position?

If they can tackle it's not that important.

I was also wondering what's peoples opinions on Refs showing a little lenience on sloppy High Tackles in the Amateur game & giving a warning to players for poor technique & a penalty towards to the recipient's team rather than sending them to the sin bin when it's obvious that it was unintentional? As I'd say from what I've seen a lot of the time high tackles in the amateur game aren't malicious & are just poorly executed tackles.

They only go to the bin if it's repeated after a warning. Unless it's deliberate, then it's red.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#43 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE (HappyDave @ Aug 21 2010, 12:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
South South Yorkshire? Cool.

Just wondering; recently one of our Backs from Union said he'd play Second Row (he's only 12st), as he didn't think there was much difference between most RL positions. Would an Amateur team risk playing a smaller guy in the forwards? If not why not? Is it because they would have difficulty taking down big forwards running at them? Or they could get injured in that possition?

I was also wondering what's peoples opinions on Refs showing a little lenience on sloppy High Tackles in the Amateur game & giving a warning to players for poor technique & a penalty towards to the recipient's team rather than sending them to the sin bin when it's obvious that it was unintentional? As I'd say from what I've seen a lot of the time high tackles in the amateur game aren't malicious & are just poorly executed tackles.

North Derbyshire.

Depends on his running style and "toughness".. its small for a second rower but if he punches above his weight he;ll be ok.. if he doesnt then he';ll get broken in half when he steps into a prop.. if he is a back who plays like a normal union back then he may want to start his time on the wing to learn the game.. he wont learn it when he cant remember it.

sadly on the high tackles they may be are poorly executred but they are still dangerous and could rile the other team up causing the game to escalate.. so its down to the quality of hte ref IMO on how well he believes he can control the game etc.

#44 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:54 PM

Derbyshire? That's not a County, that's a Postcode. biggrin.gif

Yeah, some good points but in all fairness inexperienced players can make silly mistakes which they need to watch & correct. I also think Forwards need to have a bit of size but I guess Second Rows, Hookers & Loose Forwards don't need to be the size of Props.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users