Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Willie Mason to Rovers ?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,538 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (thirteenthman @ Jul 29 2010, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I assume the NQ Cowboys are quite happy to let Mr Mason go as it will reduce their salary cap a fair way. He is yesterdays man merely living off his reputation. Even with NSW having a pretty bad run and using loads of players this year Willie could get picked. It's a pretty sad sight to see a SL club even vaguely interested in him.
If I was a Featherstone fan I'd be quite relieved he wasn't coming.

Of course with a couple of his former Roosters team mates across the city at the KC, he would have a few mates to keep him company. Not sure if that's good or not though...

From what I've read, he's been very good for the Cowboys this year; there was even a push from some commentators for him to earn an origin recall and a report last week suggested that an unlikely return to the Bulldogs might even be on the cards.

IMO, if he's hungry and in form, Big Willie is the kind of high profile signing that would enrich Rovers and SL.

#22 RedPhoenix

RedPhoenix
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:20 AM

Between us and Huddersfield, according to the man himself;

"I have nothing left to achieve in Australia and I want to give the Super League a go," Mason told the Mail.

"You could say it's now a two-horse race between Hull KR and Huddersfield. Bradford, Salford and Catalans were also mentioned to me, but I'd say it's between those two.

http://www.sporthull...il/article.html

Edited by RedPhoenix, 30 July 2010 - 07:21 AM.

Hull Kingston Rovers RLFC

The Pride Of East Yorkshire

#23 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (Pottsy @ Jul 29 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From what I've read, he's been very good for the Cowboys this year; there was even a push from some commentators for him to earn an origin recall and a report last week suggested that an unlikely return to the Bulldogs might even be on the cards.

IMO, if he's hungry and in form, Big Willie is the kind of high profile signing that would enrich Rovers and SL.

Well, I can only go on what I've seen of him on TV, but he doesn't seem to have the same presence as he once did. Yes, he was mentioned as regards to an Origin place, but he didn't get picked. This was a NSW side that had Trent Barrett as the best no6 in the state. The same NSW team that has lost 5 series in a row. As for enriching SL, well, given the guys track record off the field, he may certainly make it more interesting.

I guess we come back to the age old argument of whether you try to promote young British talent or import an over-the-hill foreigner.

#24 GazCoops

GazCoops
  • Coach
  • 396 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:26 AM

QUOTE (RedPhoenix @ Jul 30 2010, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Between us and Huddersfield, according to the man himself;

"I have nothing left to achieve in Australia and I want to give the Super League a go," Mason told the Mail.

"You could say it's now a two-horse race between Hull KR and Huddersfield. Bradford, Salford and Catalans were also mentioned to me, but I'd say it's between those two.

http://www.sporthull...il/article.html

That to me say I have no chance of playing SSO or for Australia again.

Also from the same atricle

"I don't want to go to a side that are going to lose by 30 or 40 points on a regular basis. I want to go to a well established club that has a fair crack of winning the title."

Shows he's not done much research into this and that he's probably just using SL as a way of getting a better deal in the NRL, like he did a couple of years ago when he was linked with FC and the Crusaders.

Posted Image

#25 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:29 AM

QUOTE (GazCoops @ Jul 30 2010, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That to me say I have no chance of playing SSO or for Australia again.

Also from the same atricle

"I don't want to go to a side that are going to lose by 30 or 40 points on a regular basis. I want to go to a well established club that has a fair crack of winning the title."

Shows he's not done much research into this and that he's probably just using SL as a way of getting a better deal in the NRL, like he did a couple of years ago when he was linked with FC and the Crusaders.

Correct.

Although I'm not sure about Sean Long being the messiah though...

#26 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:44 AM

He must have a nice clean record then and no chance of being refused a visa - oh wait a minute!!!

Purely and simply I see this as a load of hot air - publicity stunt and nothing more dry.gif
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#27 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:20 AM

sounds like he is waiting to see who finishes highest in the league out of hull kr and huddersfield before he makes his desicion coz he doesnt want to get beat by 20-30 pts on a regular basis huh.gif
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#28 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:12 PM

Willie Mason at Hull KR
Willie Manu at Hull FC

There's a line to sell the derby with - Who's got the biggest Willie in Hull?