Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Found this for Workington Town fans (and dewsbury)

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:22 AM

Peter Walsh's side v Dewsbury

#2 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:15 AM

Ah, them were the days. What a player Mulligan was, just imagine how good he would have been if he had taken it seriously laugh.gif

#3 widnesvikings

widnesvikings
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (dkw @ Jul 31 2010, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, them were the days. What a player Mulligan was, just imagine how good he would have been if he had taken it seriously laugh.gif

great video.that phil mkenzie didnt look to bad aswell. wink.gif
Posted Image
WIDNES VIKINGS CHESHIRES MOST FAMOUS RUGBY LEAGUE CLUB

#4 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (widnesvikings @ Jul 31 2010, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
great video.that phil mkenzie didnt look to bad aswell. wink.gif

He was magnificent with us, though his last season was horrible to watch. He was on a big wage and they seemed to make him play no matter how injured he was, it was a bit ridiculous at times. He is possibly my favourite player from that era, either him or big Jimmy Pick. McKenzie made one pass that I remember even now, running left to right he twisted all the way round left to right and put a man through a gap on his right. It was an incredible pass.

#5 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:45 PM

I've been sorting out a few old videos that I need to transfer to disc and I have the 1994 (?) Second Division Premiership final between Worky and London Crusaders.

Edited by deluded pom?, 31 July 2010 - 02:45 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#6 Richard de la Riviere

Richard de la Riviere
  • Coach
  • 517 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:24 PM

great clip yanto - more please!

that was in the first half of the season iirc, yet they talk as if promotion was a certainty. i don't think town were top until january.

keith macklin was superb as well. alhough stuart cocker isn't an compatriot of mulligan's!

what a team though. and when they got promoted, finished 9th out of 16 at the first go.

#7 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (Richard de la Rivire @ Jul 31 2010, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
keith macklin was superb as well. alhough stuart cocker isn't an compatriot of mulligan's!

Indeed, and what a beautiful voice that man had.
In the South of France and fancy a banger?
www.mistersaucisse.fr
"Fine sausages for the discerning customer"

#8 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,845 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:36 PM

Memories of the way it used to be misty water colour memories of the way we were. Ah, some of the good old days and as yanto points out Town did get promoted to the Big League and didn't go right back down again but finished 9th of 16 teams.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#9 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:49 PM

That's a great clip, thoroughly enjoyed watching it! Some great tries (particularly the clincher) and a superb 2 points from the touch-line. What year is it from btw?? Also all their accents are so funny!! The elderly man at the start says "and that's workington town, dewsbury, keighley and ....." Who is the fourth team?

#10 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (ShotgunGold @ Jul 31 2010, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's a great clip, thoroughly enjoyed watching it! Some great tries (particularly the clincher) and a superb 2 points from the touch-line. What year is it from btw?? Also all their accents are so funny!! The elderly man at the start says "and that's workington town, dewsbury, keighley and ....." Who is the fourth team?

Uddersfield
Nowt rang wit lingo.

#11 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (Keith T @ Jul 31 2010, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Memories of the way it used to be misty water colour memories of the way we were. Ah, some of the good old days and as yanto points out Town did get promoted to the Big League and didn't go right back down again but finished 9th of 16 teams.

Richard gets the credit for that Keith not me .
If you take a look at some of the old clips on that site there are some real gems of Workington in its industrial heyday.

Edited by yanto, 31 July 2010 - 08:58 PM.

#12 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (ShotgunGold @ Jul 31 2010, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What year is it from btw??

94/95 would be my guess

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#13 yanto

yanto
  • Coach
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (Richard de la Rivire @ Jul 31 2010, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
great clip yanto - more please!

Posted this before Richard
79 Lancs Cup Final BBC coverage of 2nd half.

2nd half part two

Tom Mitchel,Ike,Andy Key,Sol all sitting on the bench..some legends in charge of a team full of locals in those days.

Edited by yanto, 31 July 2010 - 09:24 PM.

#14 Richard de la Riviere

Richard de la Riviere
  • Coach
  • 517 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (Lee @ Jul 31 2010, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
94/95 would be my guess

93/94. Town won the 2nd division title by coming top, and beat London Crusaders in the Divisional Premiership final at Old Trafford. Martin Oglanby (now the club's joint head coach) won the division's player of the year.

#15 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:59 PM

That game against Dewsbury was in October 1993. Town scored 178 tries that season !

Happy days smile.gif

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#16 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:07 PM

QUOTE (Keith T @ Jul 31 2010, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Town did get promoted to the Big League and didn't go right back down again but finished 9th of 16 teams.

Yeah and that was after we were bottom at christmas with only 6 points. We then beat Halifax in early January and went on to win 10 of our final 14 league games.

#17 Richard de la Riviere

Richard de la Riviere
  • Coach
  • 517 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE (Derwent @ Aug 1 2010, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah and that was after we were bottom at christmas with only 6 points. We then beat Halifax in early January and went on to win 10 of our final 14 league games.

6? drew 4-4 with cas before xmas in the game the ref confused jimmy pickering with lee crooks and didn't play advantage when he was through to score.

#18 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE (Richard de la Rivire @ Aug 1 2010, 02:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
6? drew 4-4 with cas before xmas in the game the ref confused jimmy pickering with lee crooks and didn't play advantage when he was through to score.

I remember that, it was ridiculous. How he confused jimmy for a cas player even though he was charging towards the line i`ll never know. We had a great run that season, we nilled and battered 3 or 4 teams at home and it all began after we mullered Fax live on sky.

#19 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:28 AM

QUOTE (Richard de la Rivire @ Aug 1 2010, 02:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes you're right, we had 5 points at Xmas not 6 - we'd beaten Doncaster and Hull and drew with Cas.

#20 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (Derwent @ Aug 1 2010, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes you're right, we had 5 points at Xmas not 6 - we'd beaten Doncaster and Hull and drew with Cas.

Can you remember which teams it was we nilled at DP? I remember one being Bradford.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users