Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Can Wigan Warriors get within eighteen points of Sydney Roosters?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,247 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Aug 1 2010, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And maybe you'll get there one day! ohmy.gif biggrin.gif wink.gif Joking!

sad.gif mad.gif

#22 bendyas

bendyas
  • Coach
  • 3,153 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:16 AM

Let's hope that we play current league leaders St.George then cos our top 4 would win!!

#23 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:44 AM

To answer the question posed by this thread, yes Wigan probably can.

As for saying that Wigan and the Roosters look likely to win their respective competitions, that is utter nonsense. In the NRL at this point last year St George and Canterbury were favourites to contest the GF. Neither did. In Super League, St Helens finished top of the league 4 years in a row from 2005 but only won the GF once.

All of which makes me wonder -

What is the point of this thread?

#24 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (thirteenthman @ Aug 1 2010, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As for saying that Wigan and the Roosters look likely to win their respective competitions, that is utter nonsense. In the NRL at this point last year St George and Canterbury were favourites to contest the GF. Neither did. In Super League, St Helens finished top of the league 4 years in a row from 2005 but only won the GF once.

im an nrl fan and yeah this is a dumb thread

#25 zorquif

zorquif
  • Coach
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

yes they can. they will win. i am willing to wager you 5 of whatever currency you prefer that wigan will win.

#26 BringbackGB

BringbackGB
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:56 PM

Its a bit presumptuous assuming who Wigans opponents will be at this stage of the NRL comp.
wink.gif

#27 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:01 PM

I'm just glad this thread wasn't started by a Wigan fan - the league leaders shield may be a certainty, but the real work towards the SL title is yet to be done and the race remains open.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#28 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Jul 31 2010, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After watching both Wigan and Sydney Roosters recently I have concluded that if Wigan are SL Grand Final winners (as appears likely), and if Sydney Roosters are the NRL Grand Final winners (as now seems more likely), Wigan will not get close to the Australian club.

Last night's victory of the Sydney Roosters over Parramatta was one of the most scintillating and breathtaking displays of open rugby league that I have ever seen. The ball was thrown from one side to the other, as forwards and backs smashed through the Parramatta defence. Moreover the Roosters displayed a defensive technique that no SUper League club is likely to penetrate more than once. (One has to discount the one try by the freakish Jarred Hayne, because no SL player has the talents of Jarred Hayne).

As much as I admire some of the talented Wigan players, their forwards will struggle to break even with the Roosters pack, while they simply cannot compete with the likes of Pearce and Carney in the halves, and Shaun Kenny-Dowall and Kate Linnett in the centres, and Anthony Minichiello at full back.

Cheese.

Surrender.

In that order.

#29 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:03 PM

personally i think st.helens are gonna sneak the GF.. and if anyone has been watching the NRL this year they'll know the roosters defense has been suspect on plenty of occassions this year (recently conceding 30 against the bronco's, 32 against the bulldogs, 20 in a loss to the warriors) , so to make such statements about them after one great performance, and against a parramatta team that seems to be solely relying on jarryd hayne to win them games (nulify hayne, nulify the eels), its hardly worth making such statements..

although the roosters did look great against them. but wait and see what st.george have to say when they play..

st.helens Vs st.george.. how about that for a WCC?, battle of the red vee's!

Edited by EastLondonMike, 01 August 2010 - 04:07 PM.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#30 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (thirteenthman @ Aug 1 2010, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To show the gulf between the NRL and Super League. It's not to say that the top Super League teams are not very good. The top four SL would compete with most of the NRL. It is just that I saw the Sydney Roosters play at a higher level than anyone else in the NRL over the past three weeks. After the Roosters beat Brisbane Broncos in Brisbane on Monday night, Darren Lockyer predicted that they had a good chance to win the Big One (This weekend Brisbane beat St George at the same ground). With Pearce and Carney in such brilliant form, and the entire team ticking over like a well oiled machine,I intend backing the Sydney Roosters with cash at 7-1 to win the NRL Grand Final.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 01 August 2010 - 04:20 PM.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#31 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (EastLondonMike @ Aug 1 2010, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
personally i think st.helens are gonna sneak the GF.. and if anyone has been watching the NRL this year they'll know the roosters defense has been suspect on plenty of occassions this year (recently conceding 30 against the bronco's, 32 against the bulldogs, 20 in a loss to the warriors) , so to make such statements about them after one great performance, and against a parramatta team that seems to be solely relying on jarryd hayne to win them games (nulify hayne, nulify the eels), its hardly worth making such statements..

although the roosters did look great against them. but wait and see what st.george have to say when they play..

st.helens Vs st.george.. how about that for a WCC?, battle of the red vee's!

I am basing it on 5 wins in a row, including against Brisbane in Brisbane on Monday night. The same Brisbane team beat St George this weekend. For the Roosters to turn around after only 5 days break and play as they did against Parramatta (48-12) is mind boggling.

_____

#32 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Aug 1 2010, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To show the gulf between the NRL and Super League. It's not to say that the top Super League teams are not very good. The top four SL would compete with most of the NRL. It is just that I saw the Sydney Roosters play at a higher level than anyone else in the NRL over the past three weeks. After the Roosters beat Brisbane Broncos in Brisbane on Monday night, Darren Lockyer predicted that they had a good chance to win the Big One (This weekend Brisbane beat St George at the same ground). With Pearce and Carney in such brilliant form, and the entire team ticking over like a well oiled machine,I intend backing the Sydney Roosters with cash at 7-1 to win the NRL Grand Final.

I don't quite understand how making a wild prediction about a game which may never happen 'shows the gulf between the NRL and SL'. Unless the 2 clubs met we'd never know. And that is only dependant on both teams making and winning their respective Grand Finals. Come back in October when we know who'll be playing in the WCC and we can all discuss it then.

#33 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE (thirteenthman @ Aug 1 2010, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't quite understand how making a wild prediction about a game which may never happen 'shows the gulf between the NRL and SL'. Unless the 2 clubs met we'd never know. And that is only dependant on both teams making and winning their respective Grand Finals. Come back in October when we know who'll be playing in the WCC and we can all discuss it then.

OK then, I'll come back in October.

_____

#34 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,633 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Aug 2 2010, 03:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ON ALL POSTS wink.gif tongue.gif

#35 The Boy Saint

The Boy Saint
  • Coach
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

In answer to the thread - can Wigan get within 18 points of the Roosters? Of course they can, they can beat them. This has been proven by SL teams on numerous one-off occasions that SL teams can beat the NRL teams, with both teams given plenty of notice to prepare as well!

The Roosters have been performing well yes, but take Todd Carney out of the Stand-Off position in that team and they are nowhere near as effective. Its only since Carney was moved from FB to the halves that the roosters started to climb the table.

I think that we can speculate all day but what id like to see is a return of the WCC with more than two teams in like in 1996. I'd fully expect the top Aussie team to win it but in a new format with, as suggested earlier, our top four vs their top four home and away and we could see a great comp. And I also think we could dispel a few myths along the way.

PS - Shaun Kenny-Dowall??? He's pants!

#36 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:40 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Aug 2 2010, 03:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Time to book a holiday. Hmm, sometime in, say, October, maybe...

biggrin.gif

#37 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:20 PM

As said, this is speculative but surely it has a bit more substance than items such as: what is the best club jersey.........etc!!
Now that and it's ilk are real banal threads, far moreso than this one is, surely?

Actually as far as the question posed is concerned, I know that recently their form has sufferred a bit but the most professional and up till recently, consistent, team I have watched has to be Penrith,
Should they return to the form previously shown, I would be backing them to possibly make the G/F and to probably win it.

As for Wigan beating the best of OZ, I hope so but certainly would not back them to do so, nor for that matter any S/L side presently. sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users