Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Huddersfield Forced To Move Three Games To The Shay Next Year

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:49 PM

The club are moving upto 3 games to The Shay in 2011 whilst the Galpharm pitch is relayed. It smacks to me that we are pandering to our stadium partners who already play more games on the pitch and during the time of year when it is more likely to be wrecked. With a poor travelling fanbase this is likely to cause our attendance to plummet or may even spur some non-travellers into sampling the delights of other SL stadia.

Could they not play six rounds of away games like Wigan did a while back, because moving the three games to Shay is going to see some 3,000/4,000 crowds at best.

I guess Halifax will be all for the move as it'll help them in their quest for a Super League spot.

#2 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:55 AM

I think it would make sense to play these 3 on the road games against the likes of Catalans, Quins and Crusaders where the crowds would be lower anyway, what you think?

Next year we are gonna see a bit of a dip in average crowds overall in SL with Saints playing at Widnes for the season and Crusaders will probably see a dip now the bubble has burst.

#3 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:02 AM

I'm quite happy with this. I've always liked the Shay, it's not that far away and there's some cracking pubs nearby.

Funnily enough, I was just saying that the pitch looked terrific yesterday as Ken Davy came out and announced it needed to be relaid.

That's me.  I'm done.

#4 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:48 AM

It only looks good cos the ankle clutchers havent been on it for a few months...a few weeks of back to back away games would see the problem sorted, it will only take 3 rounds, two weeks and IIRC thats not uncommon anyway in the season.

#5 Millman

Millman
  • Banned
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:56 AM

Surely this is a great opportunity for them to finally play some home games in Sheffield at long last.

#6 LEEDSLADGONE SOUTH

LEEDSLADGONE SOUTH
  • Coach
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (Millman @ Aug 3 2010, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Surely this is a great opportunity for them to finally play some home games in Sheffield at long last.

biggrin.gif

#7 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (Millman @ Aug 3 2010, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Been there, done that, keep up old boy

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#8 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Aug 3 2010, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it would make sense to play these 3 on the road games against the likes of Catalans, Quins and Crusaders where the crowds would be lower anyway, what you think?

Next year we are gonna see a bit of a dip in average crowds overall in SL with Saints playing at Widnes for the season and Crusaders will probably see a dip now the bubble has burst.

But you could argue playing the Huddersfield vs Bradford game at the Shay, thus getting the Halifax fans in to support Huddersfield.

#9 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ Aug 3 2010, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But you could argue playing the Huddersfield vs Bradford game at the Shay, thus getting the Halifax fans in to support Huddersfield.

I would be boo'ing both sides! wink.gif

#10 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (Steve May @ Aug 3 2010, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm quite happy with this. I've always liked the Shay, it's not that far away and there's some cracking pubs nearby.

20 mins on the train, Pidgeons open all day, that'll do me

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#11 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (a.n Other @ Aug 3 2010, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would be boo'ing both sides! wink.gif

biggrin.gif

I hope Halifax get in Super League one day or that we meet each other in the Challenge Cup.

I really miss those Halifax vs Bradford clashes.

Like the one in 2000 at the Shay when Hobson the dirty so and so went in with the knees on Robbie.

Great game and if I remember Mr Elvis Presley gave us a penalty to make it 20-20 with seconds left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users