Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Chris Nero

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Bulligerent

Bulligerent
  • Coach
  • 890 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (thepimp007 @ Aug 3 2010, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
going off subject a tad keep an eye out for a young man by the name of john bateman coming through, i know steve mac was hoping for a future back row of whitehead, donaldson and bateman, the kid is a special talent glad he chose to sign for us whilst he had many other options

Totally agree, a very significant signing for the future and scored on his club debut. All we need now is a few of the finished product either coming through or being brought/'bought' into the first team because i worry that by the time some of these lads (like Bateman) are ready they won't have a Super League team at Bradford to break into and all the hard work done on improving our youth structures will have been a waste.

#22 Konkrete

Konkrete
  • Coach
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:10 PM

Nero has been a massive disappointment for me. When he signed from the Giants I couldn't stop smiling for a week. He's been a shadow of that player. I expect him to kick-on when he goes.
Integrity is shown when no-one is looking.

#23 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (Konkrete @ Aug 3 2010, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nero has been a massive disappointment for me. When he signed from the Giants I couldn't stop smiling for a week. He's been a shadow of that player. I expect him to kick-on when he goes.

Exactamundo.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#24 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (thepimp007 @ Aug 3 2010, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
going off subject a tad keep an eye out for a young man by the name of john bateman coming through, i know steve mac was hoping for a future back row of whitehead, donaldson and bateman, the kid is a special talent glad he chose to sign for us whilst he had many other options

He is a great talent but we must remember he is still only 16, he shouldn't feature for a few years yet.

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#25 thepimp007

thepimp007
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:51 AM

QUOTE (Emosi Koloto @ Aug 3 2010, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He is a great talent but we must remember he is still only 16, he shouldn't feature for a few years yet.

how old was leon pryce when he debuted? i think if your good enough your old enough im not saying this or next year but i think by the time a player gets to 18 should be on his way to being ready, correct me if im wrong but i think big sam was only 17 too

#26 The Best The Beautiful The Only

The Best The Beautiful The Only
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (thepimp007 @ Aug 4 2010, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
how old was leon pryce when he debuted? i think if your good enough your old enough im not saying this or next year but i think by the time a player gets to 18 should be on his way to being ready, correct me if im wrong but i think big sam was only 17 too

You are correct, most players debut as teenagers.
How old was Faz? 16?

#27 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:22 AM

Players develop at different rates. Look at Joel Tompkins, years older than his brother and 18 months ago looked destined for a life in the lower leagues. Inuries gave him his chance back at Wigan and he's developed massively since

#28 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

That's correct he was 17, as was Leon. The important thing though is that you remember that because they were exceptions, and not the norm. Most would probably debut at at around 18 or 19, maybe even 20 and then be nursed to some extent over a period before becoming regulars in the first team.

It is important to treat players as the individuals they are, and not put expectations on them that they can't handle. Remember there are also late developers, Jamie Peacock being a prime example, he didn't, IIRC, come into the first team until he was pushing 21 and was 22 or so before he became a regular, so it's definitely not a one size fits all situation.
No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#29 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (Bulliac @ Aug 4 2010, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's correct he was 17, as was Leon. The important thing though is that you remember that because they were exceptions, and not the norm. Most would probably debut at at around 18 or 19, maybe even 20 and then be nursed to some extent over a period before becoming regulars in the first team.

It is important to treat players as the individuals they are, and not put expectations on them that they can't handle. Remember there are also late developers, Jamie Peacock being a prime example, he didn't, IIRC, come into the first team until he was pushing 21 and was 22 or so before he became a regular, so it's definitely not a one size fits all situation.

I think props need longer to "settle in" as it were, after all, they make most of the hard yards and maybe that few extra years learning in the reserves helps.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#30 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:39 AM

That is true enough though many props, JP being a prime example, start in the second row and work up.

Edited by Bulliac, 04 August 2010 - 11:41 AM.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#31 Bullseye

Bullseye
  • Coach
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

The Bulls shouldn't have any problem recruiting someone to play as well as Nero has for us. In his first year he was awful and nicknamed Chris Zero by the fans. Last year he was better and this year he was indifferent.

I expect Wardle, Crookes, Platt, Sykes and Menzies to share centre duties with hopefully a new signing too. Menzies is still capable of playing centre and has been comfortably better than anyone else at the club in that position.

Apparently Potter ok'd a fair offer to Nero based on how much he rates him. Nero wanted more money than he's currently on, result is Potter doesn't think he's worth it.

#32 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,074 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

He could've/should've been better for us and his wingman. I'll reserve judgement until his successor has a decent run in the side.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#33 The Best The Beautiful The Only

The Best The Beautiful The Only
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (Bullseye @ Aug 4 2010, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Bulls shouldn't have any problem recruiting someone to play as well as Nero has for us. In his first year he was awful and nicknamed Chris Zero by the fans. Last year he was better and this year he was indifferent.

I expect Wardle, Crookes, Platt, Sykes and Menzies to share centre duties with hopefully a new signing too. Menzies is still capable of playing centre and has been comfortably better than anyone else at the club in that position.

Apparently Potter ok'd a fair offer to Nero based on how much he rates him. Nero wanted more money than he's currently on, result is Potter doesn't think he's worth it.

Really, I thought it was because we couldnt even keep a zero like Nero, rats jumping ships etc etc etc etc etc.

#34 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

i can see matterson taking nero to cas to replace shenton, i hope he doesnt as i dont think hes all that good either
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#35 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (jackknife @ Aug 5 2010, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i can see matterson taking nero to cas to replace shenton, i hope he doesnt as i dont think hes all that good either

He's signed for Salford.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#36 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:10 AM

few that was a close one laugh.gif
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#37 carlos

carlos
  • Coach
  • 420 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:34 PM

leon debuted at 16 on the wing and was a special talent as was robbie paul. its a shame we showed the likes of bridge and atkins the door although with hape in there they werent getting a look in back then. theres just not that ,any decent centres knockin about these days.

#38 Adeybull

Adeybull
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (carlos @ Aug 9 2010, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
leon debuted at 16 on the wing and was a special talent as was robbie paul. its a shame we showed the likes of bridge and atkins the door although with hape in there they werent getting a look in back then. theres just not that ,any decent centres knockin about these days.

Bridge was a half back then. I think the reasons for him leaving were more related to off-field activities and attitude. Sadly for us, the move seems to have done him good. Atkins...I despair of that move. Was a last throw under the Noble regime though, IIRC?

#39 Stan Doffarf

Stan Doffarf
  • Coach
  • 980 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (Adeybull @ Aug 9 2010, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bridge was a half back then. I think the reasons for him leaving were more related to off-field activities and attitude. Sadly for us, the move seems to have done him good. Atkins...I despair of that move. Was a last throw under the Noble regime though, IIRC?

Atkins went to Wakey on loan when Hape and Ben Harris were the Bulls' centres. He then got offered a permanent move and took it. Can't blame anybody really, just unfortunate timing from the Bulls' point of view.

Chris Bridge was a mess and was sacked after his umpteenth breach of discipline, which I believe involved simply failing to turn up for a match. Several years on and he seems to have finally grown up a bit.
And when they found our shadows
Grouped around the TV sets
They ran down every lead
They repeated every test
They checked out all the data on their lists
And then the alien anthropologists
Admitted they were still perplexed
But on eliminating every other reason
For our sad demise
They logged the only explanation left
This species has amused itself to death
No tears to cry no feelings left
This species has amused itself to death

#40 Adeybull

Adeybull
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (Stan Doffarf @ Aug 9 2010, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Atkins went to Wakey on loan when Hape and Ben Harris were the Bulls' centres. He then got offered a permanent move and took it. Can't blame anybody really, just unfortunate timing from the Bulls' point of view.

Hape and Harris in the centres...hell those were the days! I think though that the issue was more that the Bulls were not perceived as in any way incentivising him to stay - indeed quite the opposite? That was my recollection anyway, although happy for anyone to improve on my fading recollection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users