Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Chris Nero

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (Adeybull @ Aug 9 2010, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hape and Harris in the centres...hell those were the days! I think though that the issue was more that the Bulls were not perceived as in any way incentivising him to stay - indeed quite the opposite? That was my recollection anyway, although happy for anyone to improve on my fading recollection.

Atkins was let go by Macnamara, shortly after taking over, he reckoned we had a number of young players coming through in the backs, and Atkins would get more opportunity with Wakefield to develop, he has haunted us ever since. I know another player was also let go at the same time cannot remember who it was.
Not to be hard on Mac, but it was the time when big debts had to be settled and Leeds were pushing us for compensation, I am sure in normal circumstances a prospect like Atkins wouldn't have been allowed to leave but Mac was under pressure to make savings and if we had adequate cover then players could be let go, and of course Atkins may not have developed.. Our downward path was just beginning.

#42 Adeybull

Adeybull
  • Coach
  • 486 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (indomitable @ Aug 9 2010, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Atkins was let go by Macnamara, shortly after taking over, he reckoned we had a number of young players coming through in the backs, and Atkins would get more opportunity with Wakefield to develop, he has haunted us ever since. I know another player was also let go at the same time cannot remember who it was.
Not to be hard on Mac, but it was the time when big debts had to be settled and Leeds were pushing us for compensation, I am sure in normal circumstances a prospect like Atkins wouldn't have been allowed to leave but Mac was under pressure to make savings and if we had adequate cover then players could be let go, and of course Atkins may not have developed.. Our downward path was just beginning.

Checking dates, and yes Macca was appointed in April and Atkins was released in May. So not quite the timeline I recollected. Interesting what you say about Macca being under pressure on costs right from start...that is the argument I proposed in support of Macca for several years. I was pīssed off at the time when Atkins was released, and even more so in later years. I really can't wait for the autobiographies to come out for that period! So we can learn what REALLY went on.

Was the other player the guy who went to to the Piedome, now playing in Oz? Flanaghan?

#43 The Best The Beautiful The Only

The Best The Beautiful The Only
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (Adeybull @ Aug 10 2010, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Was the other player the guy who went to to the Piedome, now playing in Oz? Flanaghan?

Also released by Macca, so thats another quality youngster released which kind of disputes the widely held view of Bulls having a poor academy and no decent players left by Nobby.

Who were Burgess, Atkins, Flannagan, Ferres, Cook, Halley, Kop, James signed and developing under, because it certainley wasnt Steve McNamara.

#44 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (The Best The Beautiful The Only @ Aug 10 2010, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also released by Macca, so thats another quality youngster released which kind of disputes the widely held view of Bulls having a poor academy and no decent players left by Nobby.

Who were Burgess, Atkins, Flannagan, Ferres, Cook, Halley, Kop, James signed and developing under, because it certainley wasnt Steve McNamara.

There werewo Flanagans at that time, and the one who went to Wigan and is now in Australia, followed Nobby to Wigan. His father had played internationally with Noble , why he came to Bulls in first place, everybody would like to have kept him , but no use having a disgruntled player. I believe Wigan may have paid a small fee for him.. The other Flanagan didn't make the grade. I know we can blame Mac for a lot, but certainly a youngster we couldn't keep.

#45 indomitable

indomitable
  • Coach
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (The Best The Beautiful The Only @ Aug 10 2010, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There werewo Flanagans at that time, and the one who went to Wigan and is now in Australia, followed Nobby to Wigan. His father had played internationally with Noble , why he came to Bulls in first place, everybody would like to have kept him , but no use having a disgruntled player. I believe Wigan may have paid a small fee for him.. The other Flanagan didn't make the grade. I know we can blame Mac for a lot, but certainly a youngster we couldn't keep.

#46 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:25 PM

QUOTE (Adeybull @ Aug 10 2010, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Checking dates, and yes Macca was appointed in April and Atkins was released in May. So not quite the timeline I recollected. Interesting what you say about Macca being under pressure on costs right from start...that is the argument I proposed in support of Macca for several years. I was pīssed off at the time when Atkins was released, and even more so in later years. I really can't wait for the autobiographies to come out for that period! So we can learn what REALLY went on.

I always thought Atkins was a decent prospect, but he was at the time around fifth in line for a spot at centre/wing, remember there were still people like Hape, Tadulala and Vainikolo et al above him for these spots, so it was far from easy to break into the side. In the short periods he played his form didn't scream 'leave me in the side', though clearly he would have benefitted from a longer run, given the quality available at the time, it was never going to happen without a long injury list though. It's difficult to apportion blame to the coaching staff; they pick the best available for the first team and, in truth, there never was a period when that was Atkins.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users