Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Shenton signs for Saints

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:22 PM

Shame that Cas cant keep hold of any player that is any good, but he will become a better player at Saints.

http://www.liverpool...00252-26987967/

ST HELENS have signed Michael Shenton from Castleford on a three-year contract.

The England international centre will join Saints next season. Chairman Eamonn McManus is delighted with the capture and said: "Michael is one of the best young rugby league talents in England.

“Although already an established international, we feel that his best years very much lie ahead of him and that he will flourish at St. Helens.

“He has size and speed and will complement our back line very well." Shenton added: "Although it's a real wrench for me to leave Castleford, I feel that St. Helens present a perfect opportunity for me to develop my rugby league career at the highest level.

#2 Castigers13

Castigers13
  • Players
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Aug 3 2010, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shame that Cas cant keep hold of any player that is any good, but he will become a better player at Saints.

A bit like Warrington when they lost Harris and Sculthorpe. I doubt it will end us as a club, and i don;t think we will miss greatly. Not the player everyone is making out he is. Had a poor season up to now.

#3 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE (Castigers13 @ Aug 3 2010, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A bit like Warrington when they lost Harris and Sculthorpe. I doubt it will end us as a club, and i don;t think we will miss greatly. Not the player everyone is making out he is. Had a poor season up to now.

Agree back then we had a ###### ground, small fanbase and were a feeder club.

Now look at us go! rolleyes.gif

#4 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (Castigers13 @ Aug 3 2010, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree hes not all that, dont get me wrong i think hes a good player and good luck to him but hes no gidley or lyons. I would be happy with mcgoldrick taking his centre shirt next season. I think he will take some stick off the st's fans next year for not living upto there high expectations.
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#5 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (jackknife @ Aug 3 2010, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree hes not all that, dont get me wrong i think hes a good player and good luck to him but hes no gidley or lyons. I would be happy with mcgoldrick taking his centre shirt next season. I think he will take some stick off the st's fans next year for not living upto there high expectations.

Reminds me of Myler last season at Salford where he didnt have any desire because he knew he was on his wa to Wire.

I reckon Saints have got a decent buy here, Shenton is proven at Test level too.

#6 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Aug 3 2010, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reminds me of Myler last season at Salford where he didnt have any desire because he knew he was on his wa to Wire.

I reckon Saints have got a decent buy here, Shenton is proven at Test level too.

hardly proven at test level hes only played aus twice and new zealand once scoring in neither
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#7 saintfrank

saintfrank
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:15 PM

i see him being another Newlove, and we know how he was at saints
Saints Fan from 47 through good and bad times

#8 saintsbird

saintsbird
  • Coach
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

Happy with this & at least he is English ph34r.gif
Posted Image
Progress live tour 10th June 2011

SOME THINGS IN LIFE YOU LOOK BACK ON & THINK THANK ###### I GOT OUT OF THAT

#9 Student Ram

Student Ram
  • Coach
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:36 PM

He's a great runner in broken play with plenty of pace, good feet and excellent defence. What he's not good at is barging a hole through a well set line or getting around a drifting defence. Hope he really comes on at Saints and becomes the player England need him to be in that position.
"Fev - It's life on the edge" LA'M Nov 06
"Ermm, I think it needs an x-ray!"

#10 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Aug 3 2010, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.liverpool...00252-26987967/

ST HELENS have signed Michael Shenton from Castleford on a three-year contract.

The England international centre will join Saints next season. Chairman Eamonn McManus is delighted with the capture and said: "Michael is one of the best young rugby league talents in England.

“Although already an established international, we feel that his best years very much lie ahead of him and that he will flourish at St. Helens.

“He has size and speed and will complement our back line very well." Shenton added: "Although it's a real wrench for me to leave Castleford, I feel that St. Helens present a perfect opportunity for me to develop my rugby league career at the highest level.

H'mmmmm I guess the secret is out then, any bets on where Chris Nero might end up.

You know the order of preferance Saint-Cas-Bradford.

Sorry bradford couldn't help myself, I'd forgot Shenton turned Bradford down until I read the article on sporting life.
Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#11 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (saintfrank @ Aug 3 2010, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not in the same class as Newy Frank. Good player but nowhere near as good as Paul and never will be.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#12 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (Student Ram @ Aug 3 2010, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's a great runner in broken play with plenty of pace, good feet and excellent defence. What he's not good at is barging a hole through a well set line or getting around a drifting defence. Hope he really comes on at Saints and becomes the player England need him to be in that position.

Saint's often work with 2 different types of centres, we never go all power or all dancing feet but tend to have a combination. So we had Newlove and Gibbs/ Iro and Hoppe/ Talau and Gleeson / Lyon and Talau / Gidley and Talau;Gilmore;flannery;soliola; a another the last 2 years.

I think the board have been generous the last 2 years they have left the centre spot open for a player from the academy to step up and make a name for themselves. The board where not rushed to fill the gap left by Talau, but I think they have not been impressed enough by what has been shown. Wheeler has filled in well but not had the run free of injury to make the spot his own. So the board have gone shopping and in my mind they have said Soliola is the power centre, Shenton the class with hands and feet.

This way we can stick Flannery back in the pack and bulk up a bit more with Perry up front. It's got the makings of a nice balanced team for next year with some speed some power and a good squad that has been tested this year.
Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#13 Millman

Millman
  • Banned
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:11 PM

Cas will survive. He'l get better service at Saints and more tries for sure, but he's never been anywhere near as good as his reputation.

#14 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

Another example of the salary cap spreading the talent? ph34r.gif

#15 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:35 PM

I think he has been overrated so far in a poor side at Cas and only got a chance at international level because of a dearth of talent in the outside backs. However I think he will develop into a very handy player for Saints in the long term.

Comparisons to Newlove however are very premature. Newlove was a phenomenon before he even arrived at Saints, with an outstanding record at Featherstone and Bradford, together with being the youngest test debutant at the time. Shenton will still be a good player for Saints if he is half as good as Newlove.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#16 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:43 PM

This will be a very good signing for Saints.

Good to see the operation of the salary cap spreading the talen around too!

#17 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,970 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:46 PM

Surprisingly I remember Newlove at Cas too. Ooo there was a backfired gamble.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#18 saintsbird

saintsbird
  • Coach
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (shrek @ Aug 3 2010, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another example of the salary cap spreading the talent? ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Aug 3 2010, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This will be a very good signing for Saints.

Good to see the operation of the salary cap spreading the talen around too!

mmmm anyone think thats suspicious wink.gif
Posted Image
Progress live tour 10th June 2011

SOME THINGS IN LIFE YOU LOOK BACK ON & THINK THANK ###### I GOT OUT OF THAT

#19 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,970 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (bewareshadows @ Aug 3 2010, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This way we can stick Flannery back in the pack

blink.gif Stick him back on the plane!

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#20 Millman

Millman
  • Banned
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

No I think Shenton will be okay to go abroad for internationals without crying. He's not the player that Newlove was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users