Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Carl Ablett.

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#21 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Aug 3 2010, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be honest, I don't really rate Tomkins, he has it all to prove.

As regards touching Tomkins, when he is on the field any opponent can touch him with impunity providing the manner of any such touching is within the rules - Ablett's clearly was not.

The last time I saw a challenge of this nature in the Superleague the player was banned for months.

Ablett was very fortunate on Friday night, Ganson's handling of the situation was a disgrace but par for the course if you look at his handling of similar situations in Leeds v Wigan games.

Ablett has continued to be lucky with the disciplinary.

If that challenge had been inflicted on a Leeds player by a player from any other club then the ban would have been much longer and the media bleating about it, much louder.

As for O'Loughlin and Tomkins, the reason they got naff all was that the challenges in question were naff all.

Come on, even you've still got one eye to have seen those challenges.
You really do have an inferiority complex about Leeds don't you, or is it just a giant chip on BOTH shoulders.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#22 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,847 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:23 PM

Speaking as a Wigan fan 3 matches does nothing for us, I'd rather he got 10 minutes in the bin and been free to play against Saints, Castleford and Catalans. As a rugby fan 3 matches is about right.

Still think we need to do something so that those offended against get some benefit, such as the player being banned for 2 matches plus the next time he faces the opponents he committed the offence.

#23 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (thirteenthman @ Aug 3 2010, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So the best time to decapitate an opponent is a couple of weeks before your team plays in a big final. Sounds good to me.

Couple of weeks might be pushing it.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#24 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,062 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:28 PM

Conveniently back for the Cup final and/or the possible crucial last game of the season! wink.gif

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#25 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Aug 3 2010, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Conveniently back for the Cup final and/or the possible crucial last game of the season! wink.gif

And you seriously believe Ablett would make all the difference inn those games,ffs

#26 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,062 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Aug 3 2010, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And you seriously believe Ablett would make all the difference inn those games,ffs

Nah, just poking the fire.

Haven't much to smile about this side of Pudsey.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#27 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Aug 3 2010, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nah, just poking the fire.

Haven't much to smile about this side of Pudsey.

Too true.

#28 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,062 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:38 PM

I wonder how many of those matches are because the hit was on Precious...

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Aug 3 2010, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Too true.
See, wind up the other side equally!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#29 saintsbird

saintsbird
  • Coach
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (shrek @ Aug 3 2010, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Speaking as a Wigan fan 3 matches does nothing for us, I'd rather he got 10 minutes in the bin and been free to play against Saints, Castleford and Catalans. As a rugby fan 3 matches is about right.

Still think we need to do something so that those offended against get some benefit, such as the player being banned for 2 matches plus the next time he faces the opponents he committed the offence.

I like that idea. Downfall is if another team sign him that would punish his new team or if the team he commited the foul against sign him wacko.gif
Posted Image
Progress live tour 10th June 2011

SOME THINGS IN LIFE YOU LOOK BACK ON & THINK THANK ###### I GOT OUT OF THAT

#30 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:55 PM

The problem lies with the referee and the influence that the Rhinos carry at headquarters.

If Ganson had done his job and sent Ablett off then this discussion would not even be taking place.

Ganson is notoriously strict on serious foul play except when it involves serious foul play against Wigan players committed by Leeds players, when he is notoriously lenient, a serial offender in fact.

Salford had Boyle sent off the other week for much less than Ablett's challenge on Tomkins - when this got to the disciplinary Boyle got 1 match. Ablett's offence has warranted a 3 match ban yet he stayed on the field.

The problem lies with the referees, the man that controls them and in this case specifically with Ganson.

#31 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Aug 3 2010, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ganson is notoriously strict on serious foul play except when it involves serious foul play against Wigan players committed by Leeds players, when he is notoriously lenient, a serial offender in fact.

You'll have 4 or 5 instances then off top of your head ?

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#32 sam

sam
  • Coach
  • 7,557 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Aug 3 2010, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem lies with the referee and the influence that the Rhinos carry at headquarters.

If Ganson had done his job and sent Ablett off then this discussion would not even be taking place.

Salford had Boyle sent off the other week for much less than Ablett's challenge on Tomkins - when this got to the disciplinary Boyle got 1 match. Ablett's offence has warranted a 3 match ban yet he stayed on the field.

The problem lies with the referees, the man that controls them and in this case specifically with Ganson.

is this like when you just made up stuff about a certain ref a few months ago...?
foxes or poor people?

#33 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,847 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (saintsbird @ Aug 3 2010, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like that idea. Downfall is if another team sign him that would punish his new team or if the team he commited the foul against sign him wacko.gif

Well I'll concede its not a faultless plan but its an improvement.

The player would still be penalised even if at a new club and chances are if he's switched clubs it'll be a regular season game and not a final/cup game which softens the blow.

If the team he signs for the team he committed the foul against, well they can just sort it out in training!!! tongue.gif

#34 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Aug 3 2010, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not? He would still have had an appointment with the disciplinary committee.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#35 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (Lee @ Aug 3 2010, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought he had a chip on his shoulders...... not a head wink.gif wink.gif tongue.gif

#36 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,882 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (shrek @ Aug 3 2010, 08:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Worrabout sending the bleeder off in the first place for gawd's sake!

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#37 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Aug 3 2010, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spot on.

#38 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Aug 3 2010, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He certainly deserved it.

#39 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,071 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE (sam @ Aug 3 2010, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when gareth hock got 5 matches for man-handling the ref the ban finished just before the play-offs. the sooner we start giving totally disproportionate bans for stuff like the ablett 'tackle' the better. a couple of 15-20 match bans will sort this sort of thing out. 3 matches is nothing short of a disgrace.

In the 1980s the RFL had a spell of handing out 10 and 12 match bans, it made not one jot of difference, players were still being hauled up on a regular basis.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#40 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (Lee @ Aug 3 2010, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could give you 3 off the top of my head:

1) Friday's challenge by Ablett on Tomkins.

2) When Lee Smith stamped on a Wigan player's head in a game at Headingley a couple of years ago - Ganson actually said to Smith "That is totally unacceptable" and then didn't send him off.

3) In the same game Keith Senior came running in from 30 yards away to get involved in a tete-a-tete that was going on - this offence had seen more than one sending-off in other games at the time but did Keith go? Did he fcuk.

If I can remember any more I'll get back to you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users