Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Leeds Rhinos v St Helens

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will make it to Wembley (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will make it to Wembley

1. Leeds Rhinos (12 votes [35.29%])

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

2. St Helens (21 votes [61.76%])

Percentage of vote: 61.76%

3. Golden Point Extra Time (1 votes [2.94%])

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,132 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (Optimus @ Aug 5 2010, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Possibly Diskin as well! Hope so, we need all the experience we have for this game. If those two are fit and play then hopefully it will be a closer encounter than I first thought.

Really hope so but we have a few players who are only just getting back to fitness and some look as if they are struggling with injuries, it could end up as a real embarrassment for us.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#22 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,384 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (Amber Avenger @ Aug 4 2010, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Underestimate Leeds at your peril - no matter what they have said in the press, it's blindingly obvious this is the comp they really want to win this year.

Regardless of my blatent anti-Leeds bias, I'd still rather Saints won as a Wire/Saints final would be a belter for mine and hopefully the best cup final (on paper) in half a decade.

Still, I think we have an amazing semi in this fixture, but regardless of what I want to happen, I can see Leeds taking this by a score or two.

Agree on both counts. They'll never admit it publicy, but I believe they've targetted the Challenge Cup this year.

Despite their absentees and poor form in Super League, I'm sticking with Leeds to win this one.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#23 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (Ullman @ Aug 6 2010, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Agree on both counts. They'll never admit it publicy, but I believe they've targetted the Challenge Cup this year.
Despite their absentees and poor form in Super League, I'm sticking with Leeds to win this one.

http://www.yorkshire...ield.6461072.jp

Makes a good read.

#24 Mortis

Mortis
  • Coach
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:42 AM

As a born and bred Bradford lad (well, apart from a short time in Morley as a very young child), I shall be cheering Saints on. Well, I would but I'll be on the ferry to France at the time the match is on. biggrin.gif

Go Saints!
I'm not mad but I am...

Donkeys forever, forever Donkeys!

#25 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

QUOTE (Mortis @ Aug 6 2010, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I would but I'll be on the ferry to France at the time the match is on. biggrin.gif

You do realise, despite Lobbygobbler's insistence, the other semi is not in France, don't you?
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#26 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:55 PM

double post

Edited by brooza, 06 August 2010 - 01:01 PM.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#27 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (Mortis @ Aug 6 2010, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a born and bred Bradford lad (well, apart from a short time in Morley as a very young child), I shall be cheering Saints on. Well, I would but I'll be on the ferry to France at the time the match is on. biggrin.gif

Go Saints!

Spot on with that mate, same here. I'll be doing some serious winding at the game and around Huddersfield after IF St Helens can do the Rhinos.

#28 sparehead

sparehead
  • Coach
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:47 PM

Saints by at least 20.

And then on to claim the double tongue.gif
ASK FOR CASK

#29 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

Just checking the lineup, going off recent selections I don't think Saints will line up without a kicker so I would go for Foster or Lomax on the wing rather than flannery in the centres.

I don't know who the coach will pick between the two young lads but I apart from those2 I reckon the Saints line up will be the following.

1. Paul Wellens,
2. Ade Gardner, 3. Matt Gidley,
5. Francis Meli, Jamie Foster/Jonny Lomax
6. Leon Pryce, 16. Scott Moore

15. Bryn Hargreaves, 9. Keiron Cunningham, 10. James Graham,
12. Jon Wilkin,13. Chris Flannery ,
14. James Roby,

11. Tony Puletua, 17. Paul Clough, 18. Matty Ashurst, 28. Shaun Magennis,

Which is probably as close as we have been all season to a first choice starting line up. Only Fasavalu and Soliola missing, everyone else is in the team on merit.
Although Potter could drop Gardner and keep Flannery at centre and still have a kicker on the field.

Not sure of the Leeds line up from the 19.

1. Brent Webb,
2. Scott Donald, 3. Brett Delaney,
4. Keith Senior, 5. Ryan Hall,
6. Danny McGuire, 7. Rob Burrow,

16. Ryan Bailey, 9. Danny Buderus, 10. Jamie Peacock,
11. Jamie Jones-Buchanan, 8. Kylie Leuluai
13. Kevin Sinfield,

14. Matt Diskin, 17. Ian Kirke, 19. Luke Burgess, 24. Luke Ambler,

When you look at the numbers that ain't a bad line up, it's pretty much the first 17 from the start of season squad number selection.
Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#30 saintsbird

saintsbird
  • Coach
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (bewareshadows @ Aug 6 2010, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just checking the lineup, going off recent selections I don't think Saints will line up without a kicker so I would go for Foster or Lomax on the wing rather than flannery in the centres.

I don't know who the coach will pick between the two young lads but I apart from those2 I reckon the Saints line up will be the following.

1. Paul Wellens,
2. Ade Gardner, 3. Matt Gidley,
5. Francis Meli, Jamie Foster/Jonny Lomax
6. Leon Pryce, 16. Scott Moore

15. Bryn Hargreaves, 9. Keiron Cunningham, 10. James Graham,
12. Jon Wilkin,13. Chris Flannery ,
14. James Roby,

11. Tony Puletua, 17. Paul Clough, 18. Matty Ashurst, 28. Shaun Magennis,

Which is probably as close as we have been all season to a first choice starting line up. Only Fasavalu and Soliola missing, everyone else is in the team on merit.Although Potter could drop Gardner and keep Flannery at centre and still have a kicker on the field.

Hello, Kylie rolleyes.gif ( I know its unbelievable we are doing this well without him)

Not sure if Lomax is fit but Foster deserves his place. If Lomax is free drop Gardner. Meli is doing a better job at centre (did I really say that. Still better than his usual up to know but tomorrow will probably be the day he stuffs it up!!)

on paper & going off form I feel confident however Leeds are generally Jammy in big games so not overly confident. Should be a good game. Could damage the throat shouting at the TV sad.gif

COME ON YOU SAINTS
Posted Image
Progress live tour 10th June 2011

SOME THINGS IN LIFE YOU LOOK BACK ON & THINK THANK ###### I GOT OUT OF THAT

#31 3owls

3owls
  • Banned
  • 505 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (saintsbird @ Aug 6 2010, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello, Kylie rolleyes.gif ( I know its unbelievable we are doing this well without him)

Not sure if Lomax is fit but Foster deserves his place. If Lomax is free drop Gardner. Meli is doing a better job at centre (did I really say that. Still better than his usual up to know but tomorrow will probably be the day he stuffs it up!!)

on paper & going off form I feel confident however Leeds are generally Jammy in big games so not overly confident. Should be a good game. Could damage the throat shouting at the TV sad.gif

COME ON YOU SAINTS

"Could damage the throat shouting at T.V"

THAT'S why we'll outnumber you two to one. Armchair bird, shame on you.

#32 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (saintsbird @ Aug 6 2010, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

COME ON YOU SAINTS

Lol oh yeh completely forgot about the little lad. To be honest I was looking at the squad numbers and did not see us missing a 7. But I was also surprised with all the injury talk from leeds when you look at their line up. They are only missing their number 12 from the starting 13.
Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#33 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:09 AM

Leeds. Never write them off. You need to be a good distance ahead at half time to beat Leeds. As Wigan and Bradford have found out this season.

#34 saintsbird

saintsbird
  • Coach
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (3owls @ Aug 6 2010, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Could damage the throat shouting at T.V"

THAT'S why we'll outnumber you two to one. Armchair bird, shame on you.

I have tonsilitis....have had to give my ticket to a mate!!! sad.gif
Happy now
Posted Image
Progress live tour 10th June 2011

SOME THINGS IN LIFE YOU LOOK BACK ON & THINK THANK ###### I GOT OUT OF THAT

#35 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:13 AM

Saints comfortably

Though with Leeds being our last hope, id like them but cant seeit

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#36 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:40 PM

Leeds will win this one, no problem.

After all, they've just had to take their medicine from the RFL for the first time in ages and then they've managed to get Hetherington's tea ##### on the whistle again.

They'll get everything going in this game.

Sorry Saints but it is game over for you.

#37 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Aug 3 2010, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Saints by 20.

Part 1

#38 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Aug 7 2010, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Leeds will win this one, no problem.

After all, they've just had to take their medicine from the RFL for the first time in ages and then they've managed to get Hetherington's tea ##### on the whistle again.

They'll get everything going in this game.

Sorry Saints but it is game over for you.

Part 2

#39 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,453 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

BOAB which way do you bat???

#40 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,523 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:10 PM

Does anyone know why the BBC arent showing this in HD? They seem to be showing planty of other sports on their HD channel( including a championship footie match later) yet arent showing the Challenge Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users