Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

At least one Super League club to lose licence in 2011

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#21 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (thirteenthman @ Aug 4 2010, 03:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So are we to assume from this story that there will be no 'parachuting in' of a club like Toulouse, who probably won't meet the criteria? That's despite the conspiracy theorists being convinced it will happen.

Widnes are now pretty much certain to be promoted. If another CC side makes the grade (Halifax or Leigh are the only likely contenders - Leigh would have to make the GF of course) why shouldn't the RFL promote 2 CC sides? There'll be more than 2 SL teams who'll be in worse shape than the CC sides.

Considering they've amended the rule so that foreign teams can be "invited" to join super league it is not such a certainty.

#22 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:15 PM

its important for a SL club to lose its spot because of the following :

1. it shows championship clubs that if they develop themselves they will be in SL.
2. it shows SL clubs if you fail to deliver your promises you will be replaced

wakey for widnes will strengthen SL.

no other club deserves to be booted more than wakey

#23 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (dallymessenger @ Aug 4 2010, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its important for a SL club to lose its spot because of the following :

1. it shows championship clubs that if they develop themselves they will be in SL.
2. it shows SL clubs if you fail to deliver your promises you will be replaced

wakey for widnes will strengthen SL.

no other club deserves to be booted more than wakey

I agree with all but the final line. I think Salford can count themselves really lucky, as can Harlequins and Crusaders. Wakefield, if they are the ones to come down, are an unfortunate club in the wrong area, same with Castleford.

#24 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,206 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:34 PM

Quins and Crusaders can count themselves really lucky that they serve a wider purpose to the game. Crusaders could be a focal point for the excellent development work being done elsewhere and could in time help support a Welsh national side. If Wales win the Euro cup thing this year, then they could go into the 4 Nations with a fair few genuine Welsh players next year. Who knows where RL in Wales could be in 5 years time.
Quins serve 2 useful purposes. They could act as a focal point and catalyst for some essential junior development away from the heartlands and they give us a southern presence, however tenuous.

The only basis on which clubs should be "invited" in is if they can acquire their own TV deal or show that they can pay for themselves. We have enough on our hands supporting Wales and the Quins.

I have written this 1000 times, but the instant we have more than 14 clubs with decent facilities this ridiculous anti-sporting franchise system must go. I can see it serving a purpose to get clubs to get their act together, but once that has been achieved we must go back to p and r or risk losing once great clubs who could be great again!!!

Finally, I will raise a glass of bubbles when Widnes retain their deserved place at the top table next year. The criteria look perfectly designed for them.

#25 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (Maximus Decimus @ Aug 4 2010, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate to say it but that sounds like it's been tailored to Widnes.

I thought that also as soon as i read it......
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#26 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Aug 4 2010, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Finally, I will raise a glass of bubbles when Widnes retain their deserved place at the top table next year. The criteria look perfectly designed for them.

Amen to that !

I will have a few Ciders when ( hopefully ) it is announced. I hope they televise the decision again, although i hated the outcome last time.

Also, i'm sure the Wire, Wigan and Saints Clubs will be rubbing their hands together at the prospect of 2,000 Widnes fans making the trek to their Stadiums, instead of 100 Crusaders / London / Catalans fans.

Edited by Bomb Jack, 04 August 2010 - 03:54 PM.

Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#27 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:57 PM

Quins and Crusaders can count themselves really lucky that they serve a wider purpose to the game. Crusaders could be a focal point for the excellent development work being done elsewhere and could in time help support a Welsh national side. If Wales win the Euro cup thing this year, then they could go into the 4 Nations with a fair few genuine Welsh players next year. Who knows where RL in Wales could be in 5 years time.
Quins serve 2 useful purposes. They could act as a focal point and catalyst for some essential junior development away from the heartlands and they give us a southern presence, however tenuous.

The only basis on which clubs should be "invited" in is if they can acquire their own TV deal or show that they can pay for themselves. We have enough on our hands supporting Wales and the Quins.

I have written this 1000 times, but the instant we have more than 14 clubs with decent facilities this ridiculous anti-sporting franchise system must go. I can see it serving a purpose to get clubs to get their act together, but once that has been achieved we must go back to p and r or risk losing once great clubs who could be great again!!!

I agree about Wakey and Castleford, they just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Which in essence sounds as ludicrous as it actually is.

They perform better than 3 current Super League sides but one looks likely to lose it's place purely because of geography and 'potential.'

Salford should count themselves extremely lucky, they have continually failed as a Super League club yet purely because of the promise of a new stadium in an RL struggling area they will lose out. Personally if it was up to me I would replace Salford and let them reapply when they actually have the new stadium if it such a certainty.

I don't think Toulouse can apply. Reading that statement it suggests to me that anybody currently in the Championship can only apply if they meet the above criteria. To give the RFL credit they cleared that up earlier in the year, they wouldn't risk the furore of including Toulouse after that.

#28 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Aug 4 2010, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought that also as soon as i read it......

I only hate it because I don't want to get too ahead of myself, but if I was an outsider I'd say it made Widnes look a shoe in.

The fact that they have put attendances that only Widnes meet says everything. It is a bit odd though because what is to stop Halifax or Barrow letting people in for free for their remaining games just to try and get it above that figure?

#29 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (Maximus Decimus @ Aug 4 2010, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate to say it but that sounds like it's been tailored to Widnes.

The 1m pound thing is a problem, but I'm guessing the charitible donation would come from Steve O'Connor.

Are Widnes anywhere near the 1m? I would imagine it would be nearly imposible for any club outside of SL to achieve this amount.

#30 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (a.n Other @ Aug 4 2010, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are Widnes anywhere near the 1m? I would imagine it would be nearly imposible for any club outside of SL to achieve this amount.

We must be or they wouldn't have included it.

The RFL have been making guarantees for a long time about a Championship club coming up, they can't suddenly start adding extra stipulations to make sure one doesn't come up. If they weren't serious about a club coming up I suspect that they would have waited until announcements time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if they don't include a Championship club this time around they are kissing goodbye to all the clubs below Super League. By just including one club this time around they will send the message out that it is achievable and therefore keep some degree of credibility in the Championship.

#31 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

sadly it will come down to who sorts there stadium out 1st out of cas or wakey IMO sad.gif
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#32 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (Maximus Decimus @ Aug 4 2010, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The RFL have been making guarantees for a long time about a Championship club coming up, they can't suddenly start adding extra stipulations to make sure one doesn't come up
. If they weren't serious about a club coming up I suspect that they would have waited until announcements time.

Cant they? Looks like the already have done. The RFL previously said to apply you had to win the NRC or appear in the GF - now its that AND meet the things already posted.

#33 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (Northern Exposure @ Aug 4 2010, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wakey and Bradford out.

Fax and Barrow in.

actually if halifax get in and then go on a run like huddersfield are having they would get bigger crowds by far than giants
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#34 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (a.n Other @ Aug 4 2010, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cant they? Looks like the already have done. The RFL previously said to apply you had to win the NRC or appear in the GF - now its that AND meet the things already posted.

That's what I'm saying, they cannot add it on unless they are bringing a club up otherwise they surely open themselves up to legal action. You can't give clubs criteria a month before they can do something about it.

Out of interest Widnes' turnover last year was 916k. I don't know what the charitable thing means but I can't see it being better than this this year.

#35 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (fieldofclothofgold @ Aug 4 2010, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
actually if halifax get in and then go on a run like huddersfield are having they would get bigger crowds by far than giants

Doubt it.

They never got over 5k in Super League despite finishing 3rd one year I think.

#36 brooza

brooza
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

Quins and Crusaders can count themselves really lucky that they serve a wider purpose to the game.

As do Salford, with the BBC move there
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#37 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (brooza @ Aug 4 2010, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I've said before, I don't think it will make any difference whatsoever. Rugby League has clubs all over the greater manchester area, not least the biggest name in the british game, so what if one is on the doorstep of five live. They'll either warm to us or they wont, Salford wont make one iota of difference.

#38 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (Maximus Decimus @ Aug 4 2010, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's what I'm saying, they cannot add it on unless they are bringing a club up otherwise they surely open themselves up to legal action. You can't give clubs criteria a month before they can do something about it.

Out of interest Widnes' turnover last year was 916k. I don't know what the charitable thing means but I can't see it being better than this this year.

Right i see what you mean now.

These should have been announced at the same time as they announced a club would have to get to the GF or win the NRC.

#39 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (a.n Other @ Aug 4 2010, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Right i see what you mean now.

These should have been announced at the same time as they announced a club would have to get to the GF or win the NRC.

Yes they should have been, they were announced way way in advance.

#40 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (brooza @ Aug 4 2010, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why? We have a club in London and the BBC virtually ignore them and everyone else. Why would they be bothered about Salford?