Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Which sides are most likely to get a SL licence

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Most likely to get SL status (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Lets say 2 of 4

1. Batley (2 votes [2.99%])

Percentage of vote: 2.99%

2. Barrow (10 votes [14.93%])

Percentage of vote: 14.93%

3. Halifax (13 votes [19.40%])

Percentage of vote: 19.40%

4. Widnes (37 votes [55.22%])

Percentage of vote: 55.22%

5. Fev (5 votes [7.46%])

Percentage of vote: 7.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (Matt J @ Aug 4 2010, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only thing I have against Widnes is that, it appears, that they got the one trophy and offloaded any high earners , for me a shoe in for SL should be a team challenging every season, it looks like they've sat back on their one 'tick'

apart from that, they have everything else set, stadium, fan base, youth set-up etc.

Would love to see Featherstone in serious contention but a. we haven't qualified to apply b. crowds don't hit 2,500 every week (they have done this year...) and c. the stadium isn't complete (or started yet)

We've actually retained a lot of those players but many of them have been injured or in the case of our star scrum half left to coach Hull FC, sort of out of our hands that one.

We've not been the best on the pitch this year, a lot down to injuries but we're getting it right all over and we'll be better on the pitch in the future.

#42 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Aug 5 2010, 05:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We've actually retained a lot of those players but many of them have been injured or in the case of our star scrum half left to coach Hull FC, sort of out of our hands that one.

We've not been the best on the pitch this year, a lot down to injuries but we're getting it right all over and we'll be better on the pitch in the future.

This year, WTF When did you last finish higher than 5th ? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#43 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:35 AM

(EDITED BY CKN to remove quoted post)

Aside from the personal abuse, you've got a number of things incredulously wrong.

First off, Barrow might have an unopposed area to draw from, but it's a sparse, rural area. You want to play the Barrow is expansion card, but if you do that, I'm obliged to point out that there are a lot of more suitable areas of greater population and influence to expand into, you can't play the tradition card any more because you've criticised others for it so you're argument already looks weak.

If you want to go down this route, bringing in the difficulties fans have making it up to you is not something in your favour. Crowds are what they are. Any problems you have now will be the same in super league. If you're in a sparse area with little support from away crowds this will be the same issue in SL so I don't know why you bring it up. I'd like to point out at this stage that away crowds notwithstanding, Widnes have more season ticket holders than the average needed for super league application, let alone your average crowds, so away followings are a minor issue here. No one gets a particularly good away following in this division. we regularly get a handful from yorkshire and it is only leigh who travel particularly well because they are the only team local to us.

Secondly, you didn't bring 100 to us, and Widnes' away following is regularly the greatest in the league. I don't think it is advisable for you to bring this or any crowd discussion up because you will lose, again, not only to us but to Halifax and Leigh.

#44 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:40 AM

QUOTE (mick wilson @ Aug 5 2010, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This year, WTF When did you last finish higher than 5th ? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Until very recently we regularly made the final (like in 2007) and have two cup wins and a final under our belt in the northern rail cup competition too.

#45 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,594 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:33 AM

Deleted one post and edited another. Regardless of any merit in the post there is no excuse for descending into personal abuse. Please re-read the General Forum Rules.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#46 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE (ChrisB @ Aug 4 2010, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Toulouse would be the obvious choice to go into SL if it wasn't Widnes. But this decision would be against everything that the RFL promised wouldn't it?

"LICENSING AND CRITERIA FOR A SUPER LEAGUE LICENCE (JANUARY 2010)

A1:6 (a) There shall be no promotion or relegation between Super League and Championship
from the 2008 Season onwards. Instead for the 2009 Season and for every 3 seasons
after that, the Board shall invite applications for membership of Super League from: (i)
current Super League Clubs; (ii) Clubs in the Championships that meet minimum
standards set by the Board; and (iii) any overseas clubs invited to apply by the Board.
Those Clubs being offered and accepting a Super League Licence for 3 years shall
participate in Super League for the avoidance of doubt, all Clubs offered a Licence
shall be obliged to re-apply for a further 3 year Licence at the end of each 3 year
Licence period. Those either not being offered a place or not accepting a place offered
shall: (i) in the case of Super League Clubs, participate in the Championship; (ii) in the
case of Clubs in the Championships compete in the League they are currently in, unless
they are relegated or promoted in accordance with the rules below, which shall take
precedence; or (iii) in the case of overseas clubs invited to apply by the Board and who
are not currently in the Super League or the Championships, the Board shall have the
discretion to offer a place in one of the Championships or reject the application outright.
(B) The Board shall have discretion to set criteria for membership of Super League and
discretion to assess Clubs against set criteria and determine membership of Super
League from 2009.
© At least one Club that has competed in the Championships during the Licence Period
2009 2011 and that meets minimum standards set by the Board will be granted a
Super League Licence for 2012 2014.
(d) For the purposes of A1:6 (a) above the applicant must submit a completed and signed
application form and provide such documents, including financial records, as the Board
shall at its discretion require."
hmm
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#47 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (jannerboyuk @ Aug 5 2010, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmm

Thanks for posting all that. It is still the case a minimum of one will go up from the championship, but there's no limit to how many clubs overall can go up and down.

With two grounds seriously in doubt and a strong indication a sugar daddy will pull out three could go and more if other clubs in debt lose their backers.

If London have to be kept by RFL funding, I suspect the rules will have to be changed anyway to include

Rule 72, paragraph 13, section 7 sub section 24 "and any club propped up by the RFL".

Very interesting times.....

#48 ChrisB

ChrisB
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE (jannerboyuk @ Aug 5 2010, 09:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A1:6 (a) There shall be no promotion or relegation between Super League and Championship
from the 2008 Season onwards. Instead for the 2009 Season and for every 3 seasons
after that, the Board shall invite applications for membership of Super League from: (i)
current Super League Clubs; (ii) Clubs in the Championships that meet minimum
standards set by the Board; and (iii) any overseas clubs invited to apply by the Board.
Those Clubs being offered and accepting a Super League Licence for 3 years shall
participate in Super League for the avoidance of doubt, all Clubs offered a Licence
shall be obliged to re-apply for a further 3 year Licence at the end of each 3 year
Licence period. Those either not being offered a place or not accepting a place offered
shall: (i) in the case of Super League Clubs, participate in the Championship; (ii) in the
case of Clubs in the Championships compete in the League they are currently in, unless
they are relegated or promoted in accordance with the rules below, which shall take
precedence; or (iii) in the case of overseas clubs invited to apply by the Board and who
are not currently in the Super League or the Championships, the Board shall have the
discretion to offer a place in one of the Championships or reject the application outright.
(cool.gif The Board shall have discretion to set criteria for membership of Super League and
discretion to assess Clubs against set criteria and determine membership of Super
League from 2009.
At least one Club that has competed in the Championships during the Licence Period
2009 2011 and that meets minimum standards set by the Board will be granted a
Super League Licence for 2012 2014.
(d) For the purposes of A1:6 (a) above the applicant must submit a completed and signed
application form and provide such documents, including financial records, as the Board
shall at its discretion require."
hmm

RFL Statement from March 1st 2010
An RFL statement said: "The RFL has confirmed that Toulouse Olympique do need to appear in the 2010 Co-operative Championship Grand Final to earn the right to apply for a Super League licence from the 2012 season onwards.

Contrary to some reports, the mechanism by which Toulouse can apply for a Super League licence remains unchanged from the position in 2008, when the last round of licensing was completed."

Widnes Vikings RLFC - We were better than you ever will be!!!!!

Sky Sports wrote about the Widnes Vikings:

with the RFL having pledged to conditionally award a licence to a Championship club, it would be a surprise if they do not succeed.

The RFL wrote about Widnes Vikings RLFC:

it is surely now only a matter of time before Widnes are back in the big time.

#49 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (ChrisB @ Aug 5 2010, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
RFL Statement from March 1st 2010
An RFL statement said: "The RFL has confirmed that Toulouse Olympique do need to appear in the 2010 Co-operative Championship Grand Final to earn the right to apply for a Super League licence from the 2012 season onwards.

Contrary to some reports, the mechanism by which Toulouse can apply for a Super League licence remains unchanged from the position in 2008, when the last round of licensing was completed."

I've got a feeling that some lawyers are going to be making some money this time round.
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#50 ChrisB

ChrisB
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE (jannerboyuk @ Aug 5 2010, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've got a feeling that some lawyers are going to be making some money this time round.

laugh.gif laugh.gif
You could be right.

Widnes Vikings RLFC - We were better than you ever will be!!!!!

Sky Sports wrote about the Widnes Vikings:

with the RFL having pledged to conditionally award a licence to a Championship club, it would be a surprise if they do not succeed.

The RFL wrote about Widnes Vikings RLFC:

it is surely now only a matter of time before Widnes are back in the big time.

#51 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (Matt J @ Aug 4 2010, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only thing I have against Widnes is that, it appears, that they got the one trophy and offloaded any high earners , for me a shoe in for SL should be a team challenging every season, it looks like they've sat back on their one 'tick'

apart from that, they have everything else set, stadium, fan base, youth set-up etc.

Would love to see Featherstone in serious contention but a. we haven't qualified to apply b. crowds don't hit 2,500 every week (they have done this year...) and c. the stadium isn't complete (or started yet)

We didn't actually do this. Don't forget the cap went down to 300k this year. It's easy to look at our league position and think this is the case but we had probably as competitive a side this year as last. We've had major issues this year such as losing a head coach for much of it and losing key players like a captain and your two starting props. Despite this we still haven't had what you would call a beating.

People seem to be making the mistake of thinking that we aimed to finish where we have this year.

#52 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Aug 5 2010, 02:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Until very recently we regularly made the final (like in 2007) and have two cup wins and a final under our belt in the northern rail cup competition too.

We actually finished higher than 5th last year.

Just to get the actual figures regarding Barrow and their surge for glory,

Barrow 2010 average: 1,805 (2,280) Down 20.8%

Widnes 2010 average: 3,061 (3,808) Down 19.7%

So from a much higher base Widnes' crowds have actually fallen less than Barrow's. So Mick's incessant insistence that Widnes' are on a downward spiral compared to Barrow's upwards curve is incorrect.

Just because Barrow are in Cumbria means nothing. I remember they were in Cumbria the last few times they were in the top flight and I don't recall anything special then. Also Workington were the only club in Cumbria when they were in Super League and they only got crowds around 2,000. Granted they were a poor side but it doesn't change this fact.

Certain posters are trying to play the geography card simply because they have nothing else. We heard it all last time with Celtic Crusaders about how they had a massive geographical area from which to draw support. We have licensing for a reason, Barrow should spend the next 3 years getting themselves in a place where they can justify their inclusion through concrete things not some useless rhetoric.

#53 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (Stratobill @ Aug 4 2010, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Toulouse needs to be added to the poll, they have more chance to impress Sky with the european aspect. They will be guaranteed b4 Widnes as Celtic were.

I can't see why Sky would be impressed by SL having another club in a place where Sky don't sell dishes.

Sky are on record as saying that they supported the entrance of the Catalans Dragons because it was good for the game, they offered no benefit to Sky and nor will Toulouse.

That's me.  I'm done.

#54 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (Steve May @ Aug 5 2010, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't see why Sky would be impressed by SL having another club in a place where Sky don't sell dishes.

Sky are on record as saying that they supported the entrance of the Catalans Dragons because it was good for the game, they offered no benefit to Sky and nor will Toulouse.

Do Catalans get there share of the Sky money as don't they have there own TV deal as well? Always wondered!

#55 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

Para 7 seems to imply that Barrow, erm, won't even apply?
Anyone got anything to back that up?

Currently, only Fax and Widnes have the ground box ticked, which is why, fo me, it's between these 2, with Widnes ahead in my personal view.
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#56 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (goldcard @ Aug 5 2010, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Para 7 seems to imply that Barrow, erm, won't even apply?
Anyone got anything to back that up?

Nope but they seem to be confusing Barrow for Batley with regard to the Northern Rail Cup so I wouldn't put to much faith in the accuracy of the article!

#57 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (shrek @ Aug 5 2010, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope but they seem to be confusing Barrow for Batley with regard to the Northern Rail Cup so I wouldn't put to much faith in the accuracy of the article!

TBH, that's why I asked for more, rather than have a sly dig at Barrow fans for talking up a club that won't even be in the mix.
If there was a quote from a chief exec, or something, it would maybe have more basis.
More likely that it's Batley not applying.
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#58 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (goldcard @ Aug 5 2010, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
More likely that it's Batley not applying.

It is, and they are not.
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#59 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (Steve May @ Aug 5 2010, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They'll sell no dishes tommorrow, maybe one day SKY will be able to show a meaningful GB/France international that could even end up being home and away. SKY may wish for RL to move forwards to produce a better prioduct in the future. Hope so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users