Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Is the RFL, with its licensing criteria, helping both Super League and the Championship?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Aug 5 2010, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree. But it was you that said the Criteria released yesterday was suited only to Widnes and Toulouse.

That clearly isn't the case.

Well if you want to split hairs, only Widnes comply to the criteria released yesterday, but Toulouse didn't have to as they already had the invitation card in there hand.

So that said I stand by my original comment that yesterday the RFL might as well have announced its a two horse race between Toulouse and Widnes.

#42 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:45 AM

QUOTE (shrek @ Aug 5 2010, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I stand by my original comment that yesterday the RFL might as well have announced its a two horse race between Toulouse and Widnes.

Back in 2008, why didn't the RFL just say " There is only one place up for grabs, because Celtic Crusaders have been guaranteed one spot even though their bid is a joke, and the other place is between Widnes and Salford, but we'll give it to Salford because Widnes have just come out of Administration " ?

It's all about being seen to do it fairly, even though it's not.

Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#43 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,171 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (shrek @ Aug 5 2010, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So that said I stand by my original comment that yesterday the RFL might as well have announced its a two horse race between Toulouse and Widnes.

If Hudgell and Hughes have had enough, and cas and Wakey don't have the grounds then there may not even be enough runners in the race?

Any indications Toulouse and Widnes have it made will be from indications that there are SL clubs who the RFL may well know now can't make it in 2012.....

#44 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Aug 5 2010, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back in 2008, why didn't the RFL just say " There is only one place up for grabs, because Celtic Crusaders have been guaranteed one spot even though their bid is a joke, and the other place is between Widnes and Salford, but we'll give it to Salford because Widnes have just come out of Administration " ?

I've no idea they didn't consult with me you'll have to ask them!

It's all about being seen to do it fairly, even though it's not.

I am willing to wager there are plenty outside of Widnes who will disagree that the RFL are even being seen to do it fairly after yesterdays announcement!

Edited by shrek, 05 August 2010 - 09:01 AM.

#45 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE (The Parksider @ Aug 5 2010, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If Hudgell and Hughes have had enough, and cas and Wakey don't have the grounds then there may not even be enough runners in the race?

Any indications Toulouse and Widnes have it made will be from indications that there are SL clubs who the RFL may well know now can't make it in 2012.....

Agreed, its at times like this I start to think our foundations are built on sand!

#46 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (shrek @ Aug 5 2010, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am willing to wager there are plenty outside of Widnes who will disagree that the RFL are even being seen to do it fairly after yesterdays announcement!

They are righting a wrong from 2008, everyone knows it ! wink.gif
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#47 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:06 AM

Joking aside, can you honestly tell me Widnes don't have the strongest bid from outside Super League, and stronger than some inside Super League ?

Edited by Bomb Jack, 05 August 2010 - 09:07 AM.

#48 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Aug 5 2010, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Joking aside, can you honestly tell me Widnes don't have the strongest bid from outside Super League, and stronger than some inside Super League ?

No, I thought they should have been in last time.

I'd also like to see Barrow in, for reasons outlined earlier, sadly two clubs going up isn't an option due to TV money unless something unforeseen happens to an existing clubs as per Parksiders runners and riders post. Even then Cumbria doesn't seem to feature on the RFL's radar, mustn't be glamourous enough!

#49 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (shrek @ Aug 5 2010, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, I thought they should have been in last time.

I'd also like to see Barrow in, for reasons outlined earlier, sadly two clubs going up isn't an option due to TV money unless something unforeseen happens to an existing clubs as per Parksiders runners and riders post. Even then Cumbria doesn't seem to feature on the RFL's radar, mustn't be glamourous enough!

If a Cumbrian club could guarantee 7,000 in a decent stadium then I'd say have them in.

At the moment they can't so they aren't viable.

#50 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Aug 5 2010, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course they do, no question about it.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#51 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE (Maximus Decimus @ Aug 5 2010, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If a Cumbrian club could guarantee 7,000 in a decent stadium then I'd say have them in.

Neither can Quins or Crusaders or for that matter some of our heartland clubs!

Point is the grass roots/groundworks there, so should we not be looking for the easy wins when it comes to expansion?

#52 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:34 PM

Toulouse are a joke of the highest order and are struggling in the Championship. They have never even got close to meeting the requirements that was originally set down by the idiots at the RFL. The whole Franchise is a farce with Sky/RFL choosing who they want and framing things to fit that. Sport is all about the best teams playing each other. Yet in Rugby League that is not the case. The rules are changed to those whos face fit. I have no interest in watching professional Rugby League anymore as itsd just a joke the way the game is run and how the way the championship clubs are treated. Its no wonder Rugby League is such a small sport when its run by people who do the best to upset the games most important thing-The Fans. RIP Pro Rugby League below SL.

#53 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (Maximus Decimus @ Aug 5 2010, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why can half the SL still to this day play in shitheaps after having yrs n yrs of chances to remodel but a new club coming in carnt ?

They have had the time 7 money to do this , most champs clubs havent ?

Why not let a new club in under very stricted rules of major ground developments using a solid timeframe for reconstruction, as the new club will now have much more money to invest into the stadium, after all isnt this the big plan by the RL ?

To get the clubs to slowly but surely re-vamp themselves while staying solvent & attractive on the pitch ?

Or is the agenda to squeeze them to death thus releasing places for more welsh, french, catalan, Scots, Irish, Midland & London new clubs.

#54 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Aug 5 2010, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are righting a wrong from 2008, everyone knows it ! wink.gif

Toulouse wernt remotley ready then though laugh.gif

If the RL's agenda is what I fear it is they will be given a spot, if theres 2 places available you will get the other.

#55 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (Lounge Room Lizard @ Aug 5 2010, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Toulouse are a joke of the highest order and are struggling in the Championship. They have never even got close to meeting the requirements that was originally set down by the idiots at the RFL. The whole Franchise is a farce with Sky/RFL choosing who they want and framing things to fit that. Sport is all about the best teams playing each other. Yet in Rugby League that is not the case. The rules are changed to those whos face fit. I have no interest in watching professional Rugby League anymore as itsd just a joke the way the game is run and how the way the championship clubs are treated. Its no wonder Rugby League is such a small sport when its run by people who do the best to upset the games most important thing-The Fans. RIP Pro Rugby League below SL.

Who said Toulouse are going to get a franchise? At the moment it seems to be merely a rumour unless I've missed something.

#56 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:07 PM

I found myself getting a bit wound up when that Blake Solly kept saying criteria when he meant criterion on Boots n All last night
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#57 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (thirteenthman @ Aug 5 2010, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who said Toulouse are going to get a franchise? At the moment it seems to be merely a rumour unless I've missed something.

You have missed a lot.

If two clubs go down, then two new clubs will get a license. Widnes will be one of them. Neither Halifax, nor Barrow, nor Featherstone nor Leigh willl be the other, because they have not fulfilled the criteria, and they add little to the television audience drawing power of the Super League competition.

The ridiculous situation of having five west Yorkshire clubs in Super League has to be brought to an end. England is too big and diverse a nation, not to mention the United Kingdom, for this parochialism to continue in an era of economic and cultural globalisation. Cleaning out the west Yorkshire club surplus is a way for rugby league to connect with the 21st century.

I suspect that Toulouse is going to be the second license winner. It has waited a long time. It's time has come. Paris will have to wait until 2015, when the number of clubs in SL may rise to sixteen.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 05 August 2010 - 07:32 PM.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#58 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Aug 5 2010, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suspect that Toulouse is going to be the second license winner. It has waited a long time. It's time has come. Paris will have to wait until 2015, when the number of clubs in SL may rise to sixteen.

I can't see Toulouse adding much to the comp, we need to grow from the heartlands step by step, adding another club thats not going to bring any away fans won't be a popular move amongst existing clubs.

#59 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Aug 5 2010, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have missed a lot.

If two clubs go down, then two new clubs will get a license. Widnes will be one of them. Neither Halifax, nor Barrow, nor Featherstone nor Leigh willl be the other, because they have not fulfilled the criteria, and they add little to the television audience drawing power of the Super League competition.

You really are a prized idiot of France. Sorry but Toulouse cant even make the playoff in the Championship. They have crowds smaller than Fax, Fev, Barrow and Leigh. The City does not have an amateur base anywhere near that of Fax, Fev, Barrow or Leigh. Nobody in the UK is going to suddenly decide to start watching SL on Sky just because Toulouse are playing. So another of your stupid ideas is blown apart. Toulouse will bring literally one or two fans to SL games-just like in the championship. So in other words Toulouse have neither met the criteria nor are they better placed than Fax, Fev, Barrow or Leigh. The RFL is ruining the game with the way they are doing things. Tell me how much money do you think Crusaders or Quins make? There is not enough French talent to run 2 SL teams. So we have yet another team stuffed full of Aussies. Fantastic!

#60 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,509 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (Lounge Room Lizard @ Aug 5 2010, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You really are a prized idiot of France. Sorry but Toulouse cant even make the playoff in the Championship. They have crowds smaller than Fax, Fev, Barrow and Leigh. The City does not have an amateur base anywhere near that of Fax, Fev, Barrow or Leigh. Nobody in the UK is going to suddenly decide to start watching SL on Sky just because Toulouse are playing. So another of your stupid ideas is blown apart. Toulouse will bring literally one or two fans to SL games-just like in the championship. So in other words Toulouse have neither met the criteria nor are they better placed than Fax, Fev, Barrow or Leigh. The RFL is ruining the game with the way they are doing things. Tell me how much money do you think Crusaders or Quins make? There is not enough French talent to run 2 SL teams. So we have yet another team stuffed full of Aussies. Fantastic!

Paris is not the prized idiot of france, he is a ######ing idot full stop. wink.gif

another french team is not good for Catalan......... Why??? how many english fans are going to go once never mind twice........fact.

until the french are good at international level will i EVER think it may be good for super league.

toulouse have done ok in the ENGLISH game but OK is not good enough.... They need to be competitive.

this will go on and on until the frogs have a stronger National league.

INFACT

i can't wait for the Young Welsh lads to ###### them in the European Championship..... i hope ( and think) they will put the french back even further..................

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 05 August 2010 - 08:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users