Widnes Vs Canberra

I searched last night, and couldn't believe there are no clips of this Historcal game on Youtube.

There are now.

Watch the Original Cheshire Glamour Club in action.........

http://www.youtube.com/user/widneswidnes#p/a

It could be argued that this Widnes side was the most skillful British team in the last 30 years. They still look a yard quicker than anything running around today and the offloading is fantastic.

It could be argued that this Widnes side was the most skillful British team in the last 30 years. They still look a yard quicker than anything running around today and the offloading is fantastic.

Really enjoyed watching that, thanks to the OP for linking to it.

On your above point, it is an interesting one, but when watching it, look at some of the defensive structures. When we talk about the game being different nowadays, some of the defence in those clips was appallingly bad. Some of the runarounds were so slow and deep, yet Canberra still fell for them. Nowadays everything has to be flat and up at the defensive line at high speed.

Found it really interesting to watch, and Offiah's second try was scary how fast he was!!!

Thanks for that BJ.

I remember watching that game at the time - it was fantastic! As a team, Widnes had a perfect blend of skillful players and real workhorses who never grabbed the headlines like Offiah or Davies did. I was amazed how often Derek Pike's name got mentioned.

Best part for me was to see Tony Myler in action again - poetry in motion!

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

I searched last night, and couldn't believe there are no clips of this Historcal game on Youtube.

There are now.

Watch the Original Cheshire Glamour Club in action.........

http://www.youtube.com/user/widneswidnes#p/a

Serious question. Would you have sacrificed that team and the trophies they won for a slightly lesser talented team and less trophies if it meant avoiding all the problems Widnes have suffered since?

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

Serious question. Would you have sacrificed that team and the trophies they won for a slightly lesser talented team and less trophies if it meant avoiding all the problems Widnes have suffered since?

It's hard for me to answer, because i missed those years. I watched from around 1973-1981, then from 1995 onwards.

But i don't think i'd give it up.

You'd be better asking someone who watched all the way through, but i think you'll struggle to find anyone who would give up our glorious History.........

Widnes - Cheshire's Original Glamour Club.

It's hard for me to answer, because i missed those years. I watched from around 1973-1981, then from 1995 onwards.

But i don't think i'd give it up.

You'd be better asking someone who watched all the way through, but i think you'll struggle to find anyone who would give up our glorious History.........

Well, as someone who DID watch the team from 1984, home and away without fail, I can say without a moment's hesitation that I wouldnt swap our achievements for financial security. Never ever ever.

We had the best attacking team EVER to grace this sport of ours in the UK, and it will be something that will be with the people that saw it for the rest of our lives. 87/88 and 88/89 were 2 years of sheer bliss on a rugby league pitch.

Im convinced it is one reason why we get so much negativity aimed at us on these sorts of forums (we made a lot of fans suffer for a couple of years), and also contributes to us finding it tough to get to a championship grand final. People and players from opposition teams still see us as real scalp, due to our glorious past and standing in the game, and raise their game accordingly. If you ask people from other clubs, players and fans alike, I'd bet you a large wedge that the one team they like beating is us.

Edited by Vengeance

I've decided to put the whole Game on, in eleven 7-9 minute segments.

Check my Youtube channel over the next few weeks, or subscribe to get an e mail letting you know when i upload a section.

Got to educate these new jacks about the Widnes Globetrotters ;)

Widnes - Cheshire's Original Glamour Club.

watched widnes from 1973 to present and i wouldnt swap all the success we had for anything,people forget we also lost a few finals aswell. if we would have had a man like ste oconnor with his buisiness brains then.we possibly could of carried the winning dynasty on for years. i feel sorry for our younger fans who havnt seen this great club of ours in its full glory.dare to dream we will be back.

widnesvikings2-1.gif

WIDNES VIKINGS CHESHIRES MOST FAMOUS RUGBY LEAGUE CLUB

Alternatively, it could be argued that you are talking nonsense.

Had that Widnes side done the double for the following six seasons then you may have been right but seeing as they didn't, actually you are quite wrong.

We had the best attacking team EVER to grace this sport of ours in the UK,

Oh come on,let's not get ridiculous!!!!!!!!

Better than the Huddersfield "team of all talents"?

Better than Wakefield in the 60's?

Better than wigan from 1987-1995 when they won virtually every trophy going?

Better than Saints,Bradford Bulls and Leeds since super league started?

Better than the Australian national touring sides?

I could go on and on,but I think by now you should see my point,which is that your statement has a credibility rating of zero.

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

Alternatively, it could be argued that you are talking nonsense.

Had that Widnes side done the double for the following six seasons then you may have been right but seeing as they didn't, actually you are quite wrong.

Take your Wigan glasses off for a second please. I am not a Widnes fan BTW and never have been.

Did I say they were the best or most consistent? Widnes were their own worst enemies at times during 87-91 - especially in the Challenge Cup. Saying that, the brand of rugby they played was the most exciting I have ever seen by a British side during the time I have watched the game.

Wigan's record is unbelievable and should be applauded. The team consisted of legends of the game. However, that Widnes team with the pure speed and off-loading game (especially the forwards) was just so exciting to watch.

Take your Wigan glasses off for a second please. I am not a Widnes fan BTW and never have been.

Did I say they were the best or most consistent? Widnes were their own worst enemies at times during 87-91 - especially in the Challenge Cup. Saying that, the brand of rugby they played was the most exciting I have ever seen by a British side during the time I have watched the game.

Wigan's record is unbelievable and should be applauded. The team consisted of legends of the game. However, that Widnes team with the pure speed and off-loading game (especially the forwards) was just so exciting to watch.

It is you that needs glasses, either that or the removal of that chip on your shoulder.

I never said, or even thought that you were a Widnes fan but like many in here when a Wigan fan points to facts in order to back up a point of view he is automatically characterised as being in some way myopic.

You said that it could be argued that the Widnes side that were World Club Champions in 1989 were the most skillful to ever grace these shores, I pointed to the evidence of the following six seasons to suggest that you may be wrong. Had Leeds or Saints or anyone else done the same in those years then the evidence would still stand up. Personally I think the 1994 & 2000 Australians plus the 1992 Wigan side made the 1989 Widnes vintage look pedestrian.

Widnes were their own worst enemies at times during 87-91 - especially in the Challenge Cup.

1987-lost the semi-final to Halifax(12-8 I think!). I can't remember who knocked widnes out of the cup in 1988.

1989-lost the semi-final to St.Helens 16-14. 1990-Lost the quarter final at home to Oldham 4-16. 1991-Lost the semi-final to St.Helens 19-2. So a fair cup record,3 semi-finals in 5 years.......unfortunately for widnes they lost all 3!

1987-lost the semi-final to Halifax(12-8 I think!). I can't remember who knocked widnes out of the cup in 1988.

1989-lost the semi-final to St.Helens 16-14. 1990-Lost the quarter final at home to Oldham 4-16. 1991-Lost the semi-final to St.Helens 19-2. So a fair cup record,3 semi-finals in 5 years.......unfortunately for widnes they lost all 3!

Exactly my point. With due respect to the other teams, most neutrals were desperate to see a Wigan-Widnes Wembley final during that period.

Exactly my point. With due respect to the other teams, most neutrals were desperate to see a Wigan-Widnes Wembley final during that period.

The closest they got was the 1989 semi-final. Widnes were winning until the dying seconds of the match,then Les Quirk scored for saints.

It is you that needs glasses, either that or the removal of that chip on your shoulder.

I never said, or even thought that you were a Widnes fan but like many in here when a Wigan fan points to facts in order to back up a point of view he is automatically characterised as being in some way myopic.

You said that it could be argued that the Widnes side that were World Club Champions in 1989 were the most skillful to ever grace these shores, I pointed to the evidence of the following six seasons to suggest that you may be wrong. Had Leeds or Saints or anyone else done the same in those years then the evidence would still stand up. Personally I think the 1994 & 2000 Australians plus the 1992 Wigan side made the 1989 Widnes vintage look pedestrian.

I stated that it could be argued that the Widnes team of this period were the most skillful and exciting British side (don't know where the Aussies come into this BTW) in the last 30 years. I used to adore watching Wigan and Widnes during this period BTW.

I didn't say toughest defenders, I didn't say most complete sides, I didn't say best side etc. During the period I have watched the game I found that Widnes side to be the most exciting. They played a high risk off-loading game and they had speed to burn - it was fantastic to watch and sometimes it backfired on them.

Wigan 1987-95 were the most dominant and ruthless team ever in the British game. That is not what I was contesting. It is a game of opinions. I gave my opinion from a neutral point of view having watched both sides play over that period.

The closest they got was the 1989 semi-final. Widnes were winning until the dying seconds of the match,then Les Quirk scored for saints.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggggghh.

Had nightmares for months after that.

Played with 12 men for an hour after Eyres got sent off for tripping.

Think that was the game when Rick Thackray fell over when he looked a certain scorer.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

Easy answer, No.

Any club who has a serious period of success in this game usually seems to end up skint.

Come to think of it, most of them end up skint whether they've had success or not.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.