Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Marketing Idea for Magic Weekend in Cardiff

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:27 AM

I was thinking of the Magic Weekend and how we could get more Welsh Rugby (fans) to the event. That was the downside of Cardiff for me, that hardly any Welsh fans made it along.

What about if the RFL and Welsh Rugby Union could agree a package of anyone who has a ticket for Wales opening 6 Nations game gets in for 5 to the Magic Weekend or even better for free?

This would get the stadium full and generate a better atmosphere. As it stands we will be lucky to get 25,000 each day so why not try to market this to the people who are in Wales???

Thoughts?

#2 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Aug 16 2010, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was thinking of the Magic Weekend and how we could get more Welsh Rugby (fans) to the event. That was the downside of Cardiff for me, that hardly any Welsh fans made it along.

What about if the RFL and Welsh Rugby Union could agree a package of anyone who has a ticket for Wales opening 6 Nations game gets in for 5 to the Magic Weekend or even better for free?

This would get the stadium full and generate a better atmosphere. As it stands we will be lucky to get 25,000 each day so why not try to market this to the people who are in Wales???

Thoughts?

Why would people who go and watch Welsh RU bother to come and watch Rugby League sides form nowhere near South Wales?

You might as well target Ryder Cup goers, Swansea City fans, Cardiff City fans etc etc etc
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#3 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,227 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:45 AM

i think the people of Wales would come to MM in their droves if it was marketed right. i was down in cardiff at the weekend and whenever i go i always come back thinking how receptive the welsh people would be if RL really made the effort in marketing and promotion. If its perceived as direct opposition to WRU it doesnt stand a chance, but if shown to be what essentially it is, as an alternative, just like football or cricket is, then i really believe we are on a winner.. from what ive been told by family living in caerphilly the scorpions are doing a great job down in south wales with adverts, competitions and giveaways all being broadcast on the radio, which of course is raising awareness.. aswell as playing some good rugby..

the RFL need to do a major push for the opening of next years season as its back in cardiff and in its MM format.. a push that should start at least three months before kick-off with radio and TV spots, competitions, giveaways and a series of advert placements (buses, bus stops, trains in south wales) advertising the seasons start.

Why would people who go and watch Welsh RU bother to come and watch Rugby League sides form nowhere near South Wales?

the same reason an east london born and bred west ham fan (me) did? cos its a great sport full of entertainment.

Edited by EastLondonMike, 16 August 2010 - 09:48 AM.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#4 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,930 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:52 AM

For me, this is a downside to moving back to Cardiff. The Scottish RU actively marketed the Magic Weekend on our behalf and put about the same effort in as they do for a typical 6 Nations game. The Welsh RU won't do that for many of the points made by EastLondonMike, i.e. they won't want to promote a competitor, in Scotland there's no pro-RL club so not much for the SRU to worry about beyond the money they get from the game.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#5 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:05 AM

No chance of the wRU doing anything for this but people down here really would go to MM IF they know aboutit. I know that people in S Wales won't go anywhere without it being totally rammed down their throats for ages before.

If I was looking at wanting to get the stadium full I'd get into schools and do a kids and an adult package. Loads of kids never get the chance to go to th MS because of the cost of tickets and scarcity of them.

Blaenau Gwent, Torfaen, Cardiff, Vale of Glamorgan, Bridgend, Rhonnda, Merthyr NPT and Swansea schools all in easy reach of Cardiff by train. If the RFL can get into primaries this would fill it easy.