Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

England 4 Nations Team

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Aug 18 2010, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And?

I presume you are now going to regale me with a shedful of stats that show he was a useles liability in that game, who gave way 40 penalties, and contributed nothing apart from a few head tackles?

If not, then what's your point?

The point that O'Loughlin's international career has been stalled by injury in the last few years does not become invalid just because he played a game for England last year.

Nothing like quoting "FACTS" then simply moving on when they those "FACTS" turn out to be Sh*te
Thats "GOLD"

They say "FACTS" taste good, I say that depends on the quality of those "FACTS" some are just Sh*te posted to bluff others into submission.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Edited by AndyCapp, 18 August 2010 - 10:47 AM.

#62 jim_57

jim_57
  • Coach
  • 470 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

1. Widdop (switching with Tomkins throughout games)
2. Fox
3. Shenton
4. Briscoe
5. Hall
6. S Tomkins
7. Eastmond
8. Graham
9. Sinfield
10. Morley
11. Burgess
12. Ellis
13. O'Loughlin

14. Roby
15. Crabtree
16. Lynch
17. J Tomkins/Westwood/Heighington
https://au.dryjuly.c...e/kabramudcrabs

Support myself & team Mudcrab during our Dry July 2013 challenge. Proceeds going to Cancer Support.

#63 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 844 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:11 AM

After going through the pages I almost forgot what I was going to say.

I agree with whoever brought up the point of too many playmakers. I see that in England, and especially don't like it when it's a forward. Might as well play one man down instead cus that's effectively how it plays out. Ball-handling forwards are different, and some might put Graham in that category, but i've seen him try passing in Tests and it hasn't produced anything yet. Just cart it up, you big lump, that's what'll worry the defence most. Likewise, Sinfield should stop being a second 5/8 at lock and just stay at hooker where he can direct attack from the distribution point and engage the line with with scoots out of dummy half. In short, stay close to the ruck.

EDIT: I did forget my other point. Biggest blunder for England last Four Nations was the almost robotic refusal to spread the ball wide against Australia. There were times when they earnt the space out wide, but just send it straight up the middle again. Had to be part of the gameplan, there's no other reason for it. I got told it was because your backs can't match ours. That's true, but there's nothing but empty space to match in the examples i'm thinking of.

Edited by CGD, 18 August 2010 - 11:16 AM.

#64 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

Why does England have so few Goal Kickers and GOOD tactical kickers.
In the recent past the kicker just boots it to Slater or the Winger only to see them shred the defense in broken play running.

#65 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

I dont get peoples obsession with picking Peter Fox ?
I know we're short of wingers but in last years 4N he was pretty awful and he's hardly set SL alight this year either.

My first choice wingers would be Hall & Briscoe but if either fo those wasn't available i'd prefer to see a young player like Chris Riley, Will Sharpe or Michael Lawrence given a go before a someone like Fox.

#66 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 12:28 PM

I think that Gleeson has looked superb recently and would play him and Gleeson in the centres. Briscoe and Hall seem much better players than Fox for mine. Unsurprisingly I would have Lockers at 13 (he was motm against the Kiwis rather than mots).
I think Peacock's absence may be a blessing in disguise, as he seems to me to have never dominated internationally as he does at club level. If we could see 60 minutes of Morley and Graham we would be in like flynn in the forwards with Sinny and Roby at 9 and Burgess and Ellis in the second row.
The halves pick themselves, and Widdop would go well at 1, so that just leaves a few subs.

#67 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (AndyCapp @ Aug 18 2010, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nothing like quoting "FACTS" then simply moving on when they those "FACTS" turn out to be Sh*te
Thats "GOLD"

They say "FACTS" taste good, I say that depends on the quality of those "FACTS" some are just Sh*te posted to bluff others into submission.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

WTF would you know about facts?

Apart from some pretty obvious lessons in how to use capitals in bold, I don't actually recall you having an opininion on anything.

Back to bed lad, the nurse will be along soon with your meds.

#68 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

Is Widdop actually getting any games down under?? If not he should consider a move to another NRL club. He did well against France but we can't be taking players who aren't getting regular games, Mcnamara just shouldn't risk it.

#69 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:19 PM

I see no-one has mentioned Kirk Yeaman in the centres. I've not seen him much this season, but he has played at centre for one of the leagues top teams, has stats similar, if not better than Shenton and on a par with Bridge. The last time he played for GB he was one of the better players.

Surely he would be in with a shout?

And I think Martin Gleeson should be a shoe in for one of the centre spots.

#70 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,603 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:26 PM

1. Richie Mathers
2. Kevin Penny
3. Michael Platt
4. Lee Smith
5. Keith Dixon
6. Paul Sykes
7. Danny Brough
8. Danny Sculthorpe
9. Wayne Godwin
10. Craig Huby
11. Ian Sibbit
12. Matt Cook
13. Paul Cooke

14. John Roby
15. Maurie Faasavalu
16. Danny Ward
17. Stuart Reardon

I'm Welsh
biggrin.gif wink.gif

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#71 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,094 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE (Wolford6 @ Aug 18 2010, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. Richie Mathers
2. Kevin Penny
3. Michael Platt
4. Lee Smith
5. Keith Dixon
6. Paul Sykes
7. Danny Brough
8. Danny Sculthorpe
9. Wayne Godwin
10. Craig Huby
11. Ian Sibbit
12. Matt Cook
13. Paul Cooke

14. John Roby
15. Maurie Faasavalu
16. Danny Ward
17. Stuart Reardon

I'm Welsh
biggrin.gif wink.gif

It shows tongue.gif
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#72 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (Exiled Wiganer @ Aug 18 2010, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that Gleeson has looked superb recently and would play him and Gleeson in the centres. Briscoe and Hall seem much better players than Fox for mine. Unsurprisingly I would have Lockers at 13 (he was motm against the Kiwis rather than mots).
I think Peacock's absence may be a blessing in disguise, as he seems to me to have never dominated internationally as he does at club level. If we could see 60 minutes of Morley and Graham we would be in like flynn in the forwards with Sinny and Roby at 9 and Burgess and Ellis in the second row.
The halves pick themselves, and Widdop would go well at 1, so that just leaves a few subs.
I think you are perhaps being a touch harsh on Peacock there, he has certainly taken the game to the Aussies and Kiwis each time he has played them.

I do agree that it may be a blessing in disguise though and a chance to bring in some fresh blood in that position. Graham and Morley will make solid yards all day for you and it would be good to have a bit of change of pace and energy to come into those positions and possibly step up the tempo.

As a Wire fan I am slightly biased but Paul Wood has been outstanding so far this year, and it is gutting to see how his potential International career has been ruined by injuries, including a broken arm (IIRC) in his one GB game. The likes of Lynch, Crabtree, Fielden as well as a few others would do a good job IMHO.

#73 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (Gruff @ Aug 18 2010, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see no-one has mentioned Kirk Yeaman in the centres. I've not seen him much this season, but he has played at centre for one of the leagues top teams, has stats similar, if not better than Shenton and on a par with Bridge. The last time he played for GB he was one of the better players.

Surely he would be in with a shout?

And I think Martin Gleeson should be a shoe in for one of the centre spots.

Yeaman's having a good season at Hull but is paying the price for two or three very ordinary seasons since 2006 when he was terrific. He also declared himself unavailable the last time we sent a team down under due to an impending birth, IIRC. Don't know whether or not selectors sulk over things like that.

Also you seem to be getting confused about who he plays for... wink.gif

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#74 hunsletgiant

hunsletgiant
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:43 AM

Tomkins
Hall
Senior
Bridge
D.Hodgson
Eastmond
Robinson
Graham
Sinfield
Morley
Burgess
Ellis
O'Loughlin

Crabtree
Roby
Pryce
J.Tomkins

I have put Hodgson in for his experience and tries scored this season.

I have Put Robbo in at SH as I think he can open up the aussies alot better than any other due to the way he takes the ball upto the line then pops it out. Fancy footwork will only get you so far against the convicts!

#75 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Aug 18 2010, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WTF would you know about facts?

Apart from some pretty obvious lessons in how to use capitals in bold, I don't actually recall you having an opininion on anything.

Back to bed lad, the nurse will be along soon with your meds.

What do I know about facts?
Couldn't be less than you it seems, I don't keep telling others about supposed "facts" that are wrong like you.

biggrin.gif

Edited by AndyCapp, 19 August 2010 - 08:00 AM.

#76 WalesRLFan

WalesRLFan
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:03 PM

1.Tomkins
2.Briscoe
3.O'Loughlin
4.Atkins
5.Hall
6.Sinfield
7.Eastmond
8.Morley
9.Roby
10.Graham
11.Ellis
12.Westwood
13.Burgess
INT Fielden
INT McCarthy-Scarsbrook
INT Tomkins
INT Pryce or McGuire

Rest of Squad; Shenton, Cudjoe, Flanagan, Tickle, Yeaman, Crabtree, Lunt, Myler, Widdop plus 1or2 more props

#77 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:42 PM

Some short memories here on O'Loughlins contributions to England and previously G/B also.

I do not suppose his knockers care to recall the tri-nations games in the S/Hemi, when in the game lost narrowly to the Kiwi's his tackle count was in the high thirties to forties and he also provided a try making pass along with a better than average number of carries.

V Australia, the one we won in Sydney, he again topped the defence list and his game overall was quite outstanding, that was according to the Aussie commentators.

The next game V Oz in the final O'Loughlin was missing, injured, we got mopped! His defensive input was missed enormously, not to mention his other efforts for the team. Brian Noble the G/B coach made comment upon that very fact.

O'Loughlin makes a very good contribution to any side he is in Rep or domestic and goes on and on in matches, when a lot of other stars/players are more conspicuous by their absence.

#78 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (AndyCapp @ Aug 18 2010, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why does England have so few Goal Kickers and GOOD tactical kickers.
In the recent past the kicker just boots it to Slater or the Winger only to see them shred the defense in broken play running.

Kevin Sinfield? Kyle Eastmond? Sam Tomkins?

Is Briers the best tactical kicker in SL? Is he too old for International level now? Has he retired from Internationals? Or does he classify himself as Welsh?

Edited by HappyDave, 21 August 2010 - 01:29 PM.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#79 joe elliot

joe elliot
  • Coach
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 11:01 PM

we have been weak in the full back position and tompkins is for me like for like for billy slater, ideally briers would be 6, eastmond 7, o'loughlin 13 and sinfield 9, we couldnt do better than tha. other than that i'd have maguire at 6 when briers say no.
waddell

#80 Optimus

Optimus
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:11 AM

Tompkins Widdop
Hall K Pryce
Senior Shenton
Gleeson Bridge
Briscoe Riley
McGuire Brown
Eastmond Myler

Morley Lynch
Sinfield Roby
Graham LMS
Ellis J Tompkins
Burgess Flannagan
O'loughlin Wilkin

Fielden Crabtree
Westwood Wood
Pryce Cudjoe
Lunt Higham

One for now and a list of players I would be happy to draft up.

"Rugby league is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby union is a complex game played by w@nk*rs"
Laurie Dailey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users