Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

How do they get away with it?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:32 PM

Last night I booked my accommodation in Cardiff for the start of the Super League XVI, well I wouldn't want to miss Bradford vs Leeds.

Anyhow just by going on the Travelodge website as I use these more than any other hotel chain, the price for a night at Cardiff Central, Cardiff Atlantic Wharf and Cardiff M4 is a shocking 110 per night because they know the big event is on and that people will pay it.

If you were to book the same three hotels on the Friday night you can get a room for 39, yet come Saturday and Sunday it's 110 which I find disgusting.

I've had to book at Caerphilly Travelodge which is some 7 miles away from the Millenium Stadium because I won't pay over the odds and for the three nights stay I've got it down to 140 or 46 per night.

My message is to any other Rugby League supporters coming down for this to do the same although I suspect Caerphilly will soon be fully booked at them prices.

#2 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ Aug 17 2010, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Last night I booked my accommodation in Cardiff for the start of the Super League XVI, well I wouldn't want to miss Bradford vs Leeds.

Anyhow just by going on the Travelodge website as I use these more than any other hotel chain, the price for a night at Cardiff Central, Cardiff Atlantic Wharf and Cardiff M4 is a shocking 110 per night because they know the big event is on and that people will pay it.

If you were to book the same three hotels on the Friday night you can get a room for 39, yet come Saturday and Sunday it's 110 which I find disgusting.

I've had to book at Caerphilly Travelodge which is some 7 miles away from the Millenium Stadium because I won't pay over the odds and for the three nights stay I've got it down to 140 or 46 per night.

My message is to any other Rugby League supporters coming down for this to do the same although I suspect Caerphilly will soon be fully booked at them prices.

Best thing to do is to stay in Bristol - all the benefits of the big city with the nightlife and not very far to Cardiff on the train.
People called Romans they go the house

#3 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (MrPosh @ Aug 17 2010, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Best thing to do is to stay in Bristol - all the benefits of the big city with the nightlife and not very far to Cardiff on the train.

I looked at Bristol but it was still going to be 49 per night and 16 return on the train with a journey time of 50 minutes.

Caerphilly return to Cardiff is 4 and only takes 15 minutes.

#4 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:45 PM

Wasn't this the complaint last time we were in Cardiff? (Not that I went, you understand ph34r.gif )

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#5 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,543 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:49 PM

Prices go up due to demand!!!!

At least hotels around Wembley decribe it as "Events" tariff.

Its simple, you need, they have it, you pay for it.

5h1t but true.

#6 Tommy The C5t

Tommy The C5t
  • Coach
  • 13,479 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (tonyXIII @ Aug 17 2010, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wasn't this the complaint last time we were in Cardiff? (Not that I went, you understand ph34r.gif )

The last time I was in Cardiff I spent a night in the cell mate (think Gansongate) which I'm not proud of and totally regret as my friend who I was with didn't wait around and went home on the train.

We haven't spoke since.

#7 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Aug 17 2010, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Prices go up due to demand!!!!

At least hotels around Wembley decribe it as "Events" tariff.

Its simple, you need, they have it, you pay for it.

5h1t but true.

Capitalist! biggrin.gif
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#8 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,868 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:12 PM

Whilst still expensive I've spent large chunks of time working just outside of Cardiff over the last two years or so and can recommend the apartments in Cardiff Bay, there's a good selection on Late Rooms.

For example the Capital Apartments have a two double bed place at 250 a night, which split 4 ways starts to look a little more reasonable! Plus, whilst they say you can only have 4 in, if a couple of your mates don't mind sleeping in the lounge and your discrete you'll probably get away with it!

#9 brooza

brooza
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ Aug 17 2010, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do they get away with it?

People are willing to pay
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#10 Cliffy Lyons

Cliffy Lyons
  • Coach
  • 274 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:40 PM

A bloody disgrace as usual ! Well done Mick on shaf*ing those tight taffs !!

#11 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,118 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:45 PM

Mick in Caerphilly.
People called Romans they go the house

#12 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE (Tommy The C5t @ Aug 17 2010, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The last time I was in Cardiff I spent a night in the cell mate (think Gansongate) which I'm not proud of and totally regret as my friend who I was with didn't wait around and went home on the train.

We haven't spoke since.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

top post funny as!!!!!

as i read the post question "how do they get away with it?"
an saw you name as the poster i would of put my house on it you were talking about refs

laugh.gif laugh.gif
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#13 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,543 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (MrPosh @ Aug 17 2010, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mick in Caerphilly.

He's lost weight then wink.gif tongue.gif

#14 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:54 AM

Bridgend is the answer

I think it cost about 5 return on the train and we got a room for 49 - about 6 in taxi to the train station
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#15 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:02 AM

It is always worth also trying the smaller b&bs around Cardiff, last time we stayed in Barry which was fine for the amount of time we spent there. Plus its not far by bus/trains

Kat

#16 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:06 AM

what are the prices on a normal weekend at those travelodges?

Mick did you belt ganson.. if so,, be proud be very proud

#17 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:30 AM

ill be staying in the same hotel i think!.. caerphilly is only a short train ride from cardiff. stayed there for the previous MM's in cardiff. even in a cab it wouldnt cost more than a tenner.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#18 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:33 AM

I will never ever ever tire of this.....

Edited by Kenilworth Tiger, 18 August 2010 - 08:33 AM.

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#19 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:34 AM

QUOTE (EastLondonMike @ Aug 18 2010, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ill be staying in the same hotel i think!.. caerphilly is only a short train ride from cardiff. stayed there for the previous MM's in cardiff. even in a cab it wouldnt cost more than a tenner.

You should have come to Bristol you know loads of heads in Bristol!
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#20 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:39 AM

yeah i know mate.. im on first name terms with most of the B+B owners in southville and bedmo!.. but the missus has fam living in caerphilly also!..

gonna be down in briz for the KRS jam though, in october..

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users