French Roosters U20s/Catalans U18s

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

Roosters just finished their 2010 campaign losing their last game at home to Quins 26-40. They won 2, drew 1 and lost 4. They used probably 35 lads in total which was the goal. Most of the opposition had more settled teams. On defence in particular the Roosters had communication problems.

The lad who stood out for me consistently when ever I saw him was was the speedy half back from Villeneuve Robin who featured interestingly in all seven games. Villeneuve had surprisingly up to six players in the group. Disappointing that the Aude only had two in total from their three clubs those being the two from Lezignan forward Bousquet and centre Cardace both who look fine prospects.

Toulouse had several lads some who have played in the Co-operative Championship like Biennes, Mencarini and Vignau.

Catalans made up the bulk of the squad. Winger Nauroy, centre Grau and utility player Pala got some brownie points. A surprise re-appearance was half back Marginet who was the outstanding junior in France a couple of years back but disappeared. Played some union at Narbonne and rumoured played some league in AustraliaI but now back in the fold.

With the Catalans U18s they are playing in the Valvoline Academy C Group and their first four results have been as follows: Crusaders won 37-30, Salford won 26-22, Huddersfield lost 18-28, Hull FC lost 27-28.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#2 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:08 PM

Sounds encouraging to me,it's the only way forward,but needs to be kept going for 4/5 yrs - I trust it is sufficiently well financed.

#3 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (cookey @ Aug 18 2010, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds encouraging to me,it's the only way forward,but needs to be kept going for 4/5 yrs - I trust it is sufficiently well financed.

Yeah the way to go for sure. Last weekend there were four cross Channel games. The French needs this exposure as much as possible. Last year the Catalans U18s played four friendlies. This time 8 games in official competition. Hopefully the Roosters will look to entering the Valvoline Cup proper in 2011 which would be a huge undertaking needing the support of the individual clubs. As I understand it the French Federation cover the costs of the Roosters side while the Dragons run the U18s.

"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"

#4 dunno much

dunno much
  • Coach
  • 195 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:55 AM

Yes, interesting to see Marginet back Audois. As you said, looked to be an upcoming talent till he crossed the devide! How did he go? Between him, Bartheau & Robin, I think France's future halfbacks look to be in good stead.

#5 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,006 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (dunno much @ Aug 19 2010, 08:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, interesting to see Marginet back Audois. As you said, looked to be an upcoming talent till he crossed the devide! How did he go? Between him, Bartheau & Robin, I think France's future halfbacks look to be in good stead.

Marginet played the last three games. The one I saw was against Warrington where he played hooker with Barthau at loose forward and Robin in the halves. I must admit at stages I have been excited by all three. Marginet as a junior was the best I've seen over here at that age level. He had a swagger about him but some thought too much of one. But he's back now it appears and may be grown up a bit. I saw Barthau produce some good stuff last year for St Esteve but to me hasn't really imposed himself at all yet with the Dragons in SL. He's a confidence player a bit like Thomas Bosc and when things are going against you cannot lift his game unlike Tony Gigot who is a more assertive player who's willing to chance his arm.

Mind you bringing the youngsters in this season has been tough as the Catalans form has been poor. I think Gigot is in front of Barthau at present but I would have liked to see him play more in the halves whereas they have used him from the bench as interchange hooker. But going back to Robin against Warrington U20s he looked to me infront of both Marginet and Barthau in that match. Scored a lovely try picking the right line and sprinting over from 20 metres out. The week before at St Helens he galloped the length of the field for a try.

But your right after years when France seemed OK with their forwards but offered little behind they are starting bit by bit to get some halves pushing their noses forward. As for threequarters thats another story.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users