Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Hull Kingston Rovers v Wigan Warriors

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Hull Kingston Rovers v Wigan Warriors (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Hull KR (5 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

2. Wigan (3 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Draw (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,896 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

richards over 24-18.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#22 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,896 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

conversion over. 18-26. About 8 mins left.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#23 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,896 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

joel tomkins under the posts. 18-32. 3 mins left. That'll do it.

#24 Riversiderontour

Riversiderontour
  • Coach
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

biggrin.gif

never in doubt

Even as a Wire I am sorry but Westwood is nowhere near as skillful as Super Sam or Ellis.

Wazza's main industrys are service industries, call centres, warehouses and the public sector nowadays. All three are under threat from the Tory cuts.

#25 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,896 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

as you might expect. Charnley scores for Wigan. 18-38. Game over. Hubcap to the pies.

#26 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,011 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:52 PM

That's why we're Champions! That's why we're champions!
How sweet is that.
A fantastic effort throughout the year and a home coming celebration at the Piedome for all conquering heroes. rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

#27 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:55 PM

To quote a Wigan legend "You Beauty!!!"

The hubcap may not mean much to most, but its our first silverware since 2002 so I'll take it. Well done lads on a surprising league season - only one away defeat and we can put that right against Bradford in two weeks whilst making sure we have beaten every SL club.

Now lets make a good account of ourselves in the playoffs.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#28 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (giwildgo @ Aug 22 2010, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To quote a Wigan legend "You Beauty!!!"

The hubcap may not mean much to most, but its our first silverware since 2002 so I'll take it. Well done lads on a surprising league season - only one away defeat and we can put that right against Bradford in two weeks whilst making sure we have beaten every SL club.

Now lets make a good account of ourselves in the playoffs.

Well done Wigan, I know it's fashionable and sheep like to buy into the grand final like it's something different from what was the premiership. But for me anyway the league is still king. It tests a club like no other competition making you use all your squad, testing you against all sides and all styles of play.

I was still hoping that a miracle would occur and Hull Kr would take it to the last game of the year.

Well done to the league champions. (if not the GF champions).
Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#29 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:41 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Aug 22 2010, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
as you might expect. Charnley scores for Wigan. 18-38. Game over. Hubcap to the pies.

That's some collapse in the last quarter. What happened did the penalties dry up?

Well done to Wigan on finishing top. Well deserved over the course of the season.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#30 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,896 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (Ullman @ Aug 22 2010, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's some collapse in the last quarter. What happened did the penalties dry up?

Well done to Wigan on finishing top. Well deserved over the course of the season.

Funny you should say that, Rovers got the first four pens at least in the 2nd half and scored two tries without Wigan touching the ball. Wasn't today's ref the one Morgan moaned so bitterly about the other season?

Anyway, away from that, Many congrats indeed to the Pies. People won't need reminding that I've said numerous times they've been the best team this year by a fair bit. They'll take some beating in the play offs from pole position.

#31 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Aug 22 2010, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Funny you should say that, Rovers got the first four pens at least in the 2nd half and scored two tries without Wigan touching the ball. Wasn't today's ref the one Morgan moaned so bitterly about the other season?

Anyway, away from that, Many congrats indeed to the Pies. People won't need reminding that I've said numerous times they've been the best team this year by a fair bit. They'll take some beating in the play offs from pole position.

The current playoff system doesn't reward first place to the same extent as pre 2009 - two wins now required rather than one to make Old Trafford and the only advantage being the dubious honour of the clubcall if the first game is won.

The playoffs are a lottery that reflect the form team and most injury free squad in the Autumn that rise to the big occasion rather than the best team over the course of the season. The biggest success of the RFL in modern times has been selling the GF as the big event of the season, particularly given that it is little different from the old pre SL 'Premiership' season ending trophy that nobody really cared about.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#32 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,461 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Aug 22 2010, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're going to have to narrow it down more than that.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#33 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,896 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (giwildgo @ Aug 22 2010, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The current playoff system doesn't reward first place to the same extent as pre 2009 - two wins now required rather than one to make Old Trafford and the only advantage being the dubious honour of the clubcall if the first game is won.

The playoffs are a lottery that reflect the form team and most injury free squad in the Autumn that rise to the big occasion rather than the best team over the course of the season. The biggest success of the RFL in modern times has been selling the GF as the big event of the season, particularly given that it is little different from the old pre SL 'Premiership' season ending trophy that nobody really cared about.

Good point G, I'd forgotten about that. My point about your lot being difficult to beat in the play offs still stands though.

#34 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,896 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE (Ullman @ Aug 22 2010, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're going to have to narrow it down more than that.

laugh.gif Well, he had the letters "B,E,N and T" in successive order in his name.

Either Ben Thaler or Phil Bentham....but I think it was Thaler.

#35 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Aug 22 2010, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good point G, I'd forgotten about that. My point about your lot being difficult to beat in the play offs still stands though.

I still think its a year too early for us in terms of the playoffs and our home form is a concern. Under the old system we'd have been fine, as we haven't lost back to back games all season - however there is now only a safety net after the first games. Theoretically we could see off 4th place in the first round at home, choose them again in the eliminator and get turned over.

Posted Image

oderint dum metuant

#36 HullRover

HullRover
  • Coach
  • 581 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

No complaints about the result...Wigan too fast, too strong and, ultimately, too good!

Brave effort from Rovers though - we have certainly played worse and won this season.

Hats off to Sam Tomkins who was the difference between the two sides. He was simply unplayable at times and produced what I would describe as the best individual performance seen at Craven Park this year!

If there has been a better English talent over the past decade, I have never seen him!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users