Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Harlequins should move here

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,356 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:08 PM

Ahem, another stadium missing off the list....

The New River Stadium is perfect for RL in London

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#22 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:17 PM

I don't really want to get involved in the whole stadium-relocation argument (all over again) but to me there are a couple of stand outs, if anyone had the interest and most importantly the funds.

Church Road (Hayes and Yeading FC) holds 6,500, almost entirely terracing, and has lots of room to expand. There's also a huge chunk of land alongside it that is a car park/car boot site, which could be developed to pay for the rebuild. Potential for 12,000 easily. Hayes and Yeading were planning a huge redevelopment with Barrett Homes but nothing seems to have come of it. Major downside is that it is properly in Middlesex, and miles away from any of the amateur clubs in London.

Sutton Utd and Carshalton Athletic could both be developed into 12,000 capacity stadia, but only the Borough Ground (Sutton) has room for enabling developments around it. Having said that not sure if the club own the freehold or leasehold.

One very prime site, almost touched upon above, is Fisher Athletic's former home ground on Salter Road, Rotherhithe. They had planning permission to redevelop with a small stadium and housing. You could probably fit 8,000 or so alongside the residential units. Big problem would be the, erm, interesting characters that own the site now that the club play in Dulwich. Cracking location if you could get it though.

Like I say, there are possibilities, if you have the cash and the intent.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#23 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:18 PM

London Wanderers

National Sports Centre, Crystal Palace- assistance with parenthesis required.
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#24 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,866 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (nadera78 @ Aug 18 2010, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Like I say, there are possibilities, if you have the cash and the intent.

And time.

If you started planning today and everything went beyond swimmingly your newly expanded ground would be ready for the 2014 season at the earliest.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#25 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,730 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (ArmchairRhino @ Aug 18 2010, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
London Wanderers

National Sports Centre, Crystal Palace- assistance with parenthesis required.

London Wanderers probably isn't going to give people the impression of them settling down at a ground

#26 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (bowes @ Aug 18 2010, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
London Wanderers probably isn't going to give people the impression of them settling down at a ground

That impression's worked wonders for the club's appeal in Twickenham, of course.

#27 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,255 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:46 PM

Whilst enjoying this fantasy island thread, what about some Union Grounds that could be bought and done up

The Richmond Athetic Association Ground (home of Richmond FC and London Scottish)
http://www.the-raa.c...=...2&Itemid=53

Blackhealth RFC's rectory field
http://www.pitchero....ondary=location

Rosslyn Park RFC
http://www.rosslynpa...ion/directions/

The Richmond Athletic Association Ground is the best appointed and easiest to get to but would be I fear a bit to RAA..RAA for most of you....

Sorry.. Tattoo tells me there are more guests arriving....

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#28 Dean

Dean
  • Coach
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:06 PM

Hayes & Yeading is an absolute toilet. And so is the football ground. I suppose you could build something around it, like a huge wall.

How about Woking? Not in London, but only 25 mins from Waterloo, ground capacity 6036. It would cut my travelling time down by half, and all the RFL developement staff could then be centred around Guildford.

#29 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE (nadera78 @ Aug 18 2010, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One very prime site, almost touched upon above, is Fisher Athletic's former home ground on Salter Road, Rotherhithe. They had planning permission to redevelop with a small stadium and housing. You could probably fit 8,000 or so alongside the residential units. Big problem would be the, erm, interesting characters that own the site now that the club play in Dulwich. Cracking location if you could get it though.

that would have been my choice a few years back.. mainly becuase of its location on the tube etc.. but as you say at the moment not sure if this is as possible as it may have been.. would be great to snap it up then you may be able ot get a more City of London style team there that could really build in the centre..

#30 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,866 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE (Dean @ Aug 18 2010, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about Woking?

Not a question one hears very often.

- Severus, July 2012

#31 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE (shrek @ Aug 18 2010, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If a move were to happen Oxford would be the most likely I'd have thought given the Ian Lenaghan connection, unless he can shift on his holding in Quins to someone else.

There was a piece on the radio this morning about the new Olympic stadium, annual running costs are expected to be 2 million once the Olympics are out of the way. Even sharing with athletics that puts it out of the price range of all but West Ham I'd have thought.

Metro today says West Ham have been having discussions with other sports inc. Rugby (I'll bet that the Rugby League have done sweet FA)

#32 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE (THE RED ROOSTER @ Aug 18 2010, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whilst enjoying this fantasy island thread, what about some Union Grounds that could be bought and done up

The Richmond Athetic Association Ground (home of Richmond FC and London Scottish)
http://www.the-raa.c...=...2&Itemid=53

Blackhealth RFC's rectory field
http://www.pitchero....ondary=location

Rosslyn Park RFC
http://www.rosslynpa...ion/directions/

The Richmond Athletic Association Ground is the best appointed and easiest to get to but would be I fear a bit to RAA..RAA for most of you....

Sorry.. Tattoo tells me there are more guests arriving....

Last night on Boots'n'all Brian Mac was giving an interview which was filmed at Quins training facilities on the West side of Wimbledon Common along the East side of the A3. This is also part of Kingston Uni's sports facilities I think

I've noticed that on the opposite side of the A3 are some grown over rugby pitches which belonged (I guess) to some defunct or otherwise RU club. perhaps this is free?

#33 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,866 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Aug 19 2010, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've noticed that on the opposite side of the A3 are some grown over rugby pitches which belonged (I guess) to some defunct or otherwise RU club. perhaps this is free?

This sounds ideal.
- Severus, July 2012

#34 jonny

jonny
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:14 AM

Old Bevonian rfc .... ??????

#35 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (jonny @ Aug 19 2010, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Old Bevonian rfc .... ??????

Could be?

#36 jonny

jonny
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:15 AM

Old Catford dog stadium site.???

#37 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Aug 19 2010, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Last night on Boots'n'all Brian Mac was giving an interview which was filmed at Quins training facilities on the West side of Wimbledon Common along the East side of the A3. This is also part of Kingston Uni's sports facilities I think

If they could get the RFL to fund the building/development of grounds then just getting some land would be a good way to go IMO.. it also means that as an investment there is always one way to get some money back even if the club goes fttt.. and thats the land..

#38 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Aug 19 2010, 07:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought I recognised that. Is that the old Wimbledon FC training ground?

#39 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE (RP London @ Aug 19 2010, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they could get the RFL to fund the building/development of grounds then just getting some land would be a good way to go IMO.. it also means that as an investment there is always one way to get some money back even if the club goes fttt.. and thats the land..

Interestingly I've seen it mentioned that the owner of Quins RL has put millions into the club over the years. If that is true why did he not do just that in the first place and acquire land and/or a stadium for the club to build upwards, rather than wasting his money

#40 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,866 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:10 AM

How about 9 acres in Hillingdon for 9,500,000?
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users