League Express Digital-Only Easter Edition Out Now!

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Harlequins should move here

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,692 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:15 AM

QUOTE (Dean @ Aug 18 2010, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about Woking? Not in London, but only 25 mins from Waterloo, ground capacity 6036. It would cut my travelling time down by half, and all the RFL developement staff could then be centred around Guildford.

yes - only 30 mins by train from Hook (Hampshire)
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#42 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Aug 19 2010, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interestingly I've seen it mentioned that the owner of Quins RL has put millions into the club over the years. If that is true why did he not do just that in the first place and acquire land and/or a stadium for the club to build upwards, rather than wasting his money

because its not either/or.. that money needed to be spent to keep the club going and thye would have had to be there or at another gournd whilst the purchase of hte land and the building was done so either way he woul dhave had to spend shed loads (maybe not as much but still a lot) to keep it up and running while spending another shed loads on the ground

#43 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,423 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:16 PM

The ground that Fulham/Crusaders used to play at - the Polytechnic ground?
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#44 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (Methven Hornet @ Aug 19 2010, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The ground that Fulham/Crusaders used to play at - the Polytechnic ground?

The pitch and the concrete stand are still there because it's listed, but a health club has been built alongside it. Plus, public transport is awful.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#45 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,807 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (RP London @ Aug 19 2010, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that would have been my choice a few years back.. mainly becuase of its location on the tube etc.. but as you say at the moment not sure if this is as possible as it may have been.. would be great to snap it up then you may be able ot get a more City of London style team there that could really build in the centre..

It woud be a cracking location. Excellent transport links right across London, nice size for 8,000 or so capacity, and with the added bonus that if the club was pushing the limit then Millwall is just down the road for one or two bigger games.

The land, afaik, is in the hands of two Italian brothers who were involved with Fisher Athletic before winding the club up and keeping the land. The whole thing was a bit dodgy because the council sold tha land to the club specifically so that they could redevelop it with residential units alongside a new ground. Now the club is gone, the fans have set up a new version playing in Dulwich, and presumably the requirement for a new stadium is no longer there. Leaves more room for residentials, of course.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#46 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:41 PM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Aug 18 2010, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Missing stadiums from the list to be filled in:

Tooting and Mitcham
Kingstonian
Carshalton

Don't fill them in, build houses instead.

Actually, I remember going and seeing London v Salford in a cup game at Kinstonian, they couldn't fill that either.

Edited by Bleep1673, 19 August 2010 - 03:42 PM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#47 Jonty

Jonty
  • Coach
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:18 PM

Kingstonian's ground is owned by AFC Wimbledon, although the Dons do have longer term ambitions to move back into Merton/Wimbledon.
disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

#48 Brisvegan

Brisvegan
  • Coach
  • 177 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:21 PM

Whoever runs the athletics stadium in Crystal Palace Park are probably looking for another tenant, apparently they're loosing their track meets, next year I think.

#49 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,452 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:01 PM

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Leigh yet.

Tidy little stadium that already meets super league criteria and a cash hungry landlord. No brainer.

#50 Saint Rich

Saint Rich
  • Coach
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (gingerjon @ Aug 18 2010, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Majedski (24,000)
Stadium MK (22,000)
Vicarage Road (19,000)
Kassam (12,500)

Yay! The London Reading. Now what kind of a sport would do that?

#51 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,523 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (Pottsy @ Aug 19 2010, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Leigh yet.

Tidy little stadium that already meets super league criteria and a cash hungry landlord. No brainer.

You're Richard Branson and I claim my 5

#52 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

Here is one you can rule out
http://www.brentford...l-road-project/

But interestingly here is Harlow Town with a shiny new stadium and space for redevelopment. If not temporary seating.
http://www.harlowgat...ootball-stadium

A stadium, that has aqllegedly attracted the interest of Saracens and Leyton Orient FC wink.gif

It seems people just don't like Leyton Orient's Brisbane Road laugh.gif
http://www.twohundre...ent.net/?p=1185

Remember on Fantasy Island your fantasy may not turn out as you expect it..

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#53 Ripken

Ripken
  • Coach
  • 702 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE (Dean @ Aug 18 2010, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about Woking? Not in London, but only 25 mins from Waterloo, ground capacity 6036. It would cut my travelling time down by half, and all the RFL developement staff could then be centred around Guildford.

I'd be happy with that!

Plus Woking FC haven't got a pot to p#ss in and could really use the money.

#54 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:27 PM

[quote name='THE RED ROOSTER' date='Aug 19 2010, 07:31 PM' post='2102910']
Here is one you can rule out
http://www.brentford...l-road-project/

Why can you rule that out? Don't you think that if Broncos had stayed at Brentford then there might have been a better chance to build up a bond with Brentford FC?

#55 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,407 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Aug 20 2010, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't you think that if Broncos had stayed at Brentford then there might have been a better chance to build up a bond with Brentford FC?

London lost money on every game in Brentford and for the privilege had to vacate their home ground for two months every summer.

Great relationship, that.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#56 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,423 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:31 PM

One idea I think Lobby came up with a while ago was to find a patch of land and erect temporary stands. One thing that brought that idea to mind is the current construction of such a stand at Blackpool FC. Reading this thread (especially post #33) shows what can be achieved given just a few weeks construction time (a few weeks more and they could have had a cantilever roof).

To adapt Lobby's concept, would it not be possible to buy into, or get a secure lease, at a small non-league soccer, RU or other stadium, one that has a reasonable infrastructure, and then build something similar to Blackpool? It would probably mean a bit of flexibility regarding capacity but, given the special circumstances in London, that could be justified.

Even a small stadium + the large temp stand (Blackpool's is 5000 seats I believe) would give a sufficient capacity for London Super League. Plus, as Worcester RU have shown, these constructions are modular and can be incorporated into more permanent structures as and when necessary.

I don't know how portable these things are but you could almost imagine packing up the grandstand and moving on should the site not work out. How about London Travellers?
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#57 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (Saint Rich @ Aug 19 2010, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yay! The London Reading. Now what kind of a sport would do that?

The RFU. Thats where "London" Irish play.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#58 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (gingerjon @ Aug 20 2010, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
London lost money on every game in Brentford and for the privilege had to vacate their home ground for two months every summer.

Great relationship, that.

But that was partially down to spending stupid amounts of cash on overseas has-beens

They are losing money now otherwise Mr Hughes wouldn't have said what he said, except now crowds are much worse, and media coverage has plummeted since the move to Quims

Actually as London Broncos the club got pretty good coverage

#59 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,407 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (Methven Hornet @ Aug 20 2010, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Plus, as Worcester RU have shown, these constructions are modular and can be incorporated into more permanent structures as and when necessary.

And, indeed, the Stoop.

The problem with suddenly either creating a ground of 12,000 capacity or doubling the capacity of a non league ground and then re-doing that every two weeks is that firstly it isn't cheap (you can ask Bath RU about that), secondly given the nature of London you have to jump through planning hoops even for temporary structures and especially when you're suggesting a dozen occasions when a few thousands northerners are going to drive in and thirdly I'm not sure that there are a huge number of locations out there where it would be feasible to do it anyway.
- Severus, July 2012

#60 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,407 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (Lobbygobbler @ Aug 20 2010, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[1]But that was partially down to spending stupid amounts of cash on overseas has-beens

[2]They are losing money now otherwise Mr Hughes wouldn't have said what he said, except now crowds are much worse, and media coverage has plummeted since the move to Quims

[3]Actually as London Broncos the club got pretty good coverage

[1] Partially. And to Brentford stiffing us royally. We also didn't sign that many big names at all from overseas and picked up a number of players who nobody else wanted. We should have got more northerners that way too but I believe that it was easier to get lads to travel halfway round the world than it was to get them to move down the M1.

[2] They are losing massive amounts of money, there's no doubt. I don't know how it compares but the end result will be the same unless there's an injection of cash.

[3] I'd suggest that's because as the Broncos they were occasionally competitive. Something they've managed with overseas has-beens (your phrase) but never with Academy products or majority British sides. Harlequins RL have never made the play-offs in the current incarnation.
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users