Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Scott Donald to retire

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

http://news.bbc.co.u...eds/8927277.stm

Leeds Rhinos winger Scott Donald will retire at the end of the season and return to his native Australia to pursue a career outside of rugby.

Seems like at 30 he is still a bit young to hang his boots up.

Lets hope Leeds go for youth and not another aussie replacement.

#2 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:56 AM

Who will replace him? He's been a pretty good signing for Leeds. Didn't rate him at first but he really built a new for himself in the end.
Posted Image

#3 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,960 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (Wellsy4HullFC @ Aug 19 2010, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who will replace him? He's been a pretty good signing for Leeds. Didn't rate him at first but he really built a new for himself in the end.

Kallum Watkins, Tom Bush, Ben Jones-Bishop to name but 3.Sad to see him go, like you at first I didn't rate him but has proved to be a valuable player for the Rhinos.
Now I know why I have a retired Guide Dog as a pet!

#4 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Aug 19 2010, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kallum Watkins, Tom Bush, Ben Jones-Bishop to name but 3.Sad to see him go, like you at first I didn't rate him but has proved to be a valuable player for the Rhinos.

I would have Ben Jones-Bishop over Webb at full back, he is one for the future and Webb is past his best.

Not sure about Watkins yet, he was a star in the making at first but seems to have lost his way.

#5 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,960 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (Wendall @ Aug 19 2010, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would have Ben Jones-Bishop over Webb at full back, he is one for the future and Webb is past his best.

Not sure about Watkins yet, he was a star in the making at first but seems to have lost his way.

BJB would be under less pressure on the wing than at FB as for Watkins he's been injured but is fit for the playoffs(should he be needed).
Now I know why I have a retired Guide Dog as a pet!

#6 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,526 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:06 AM

Just realised they signed Lee Smith this year anyway, so no doubt he will be reverting to the wing on a permanent basis once Donald has gone.
Posted Image

#7 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

Surprised this rated a mention on the sports round up on the BBC News channel but he's had a good few years at Leeds. Highlight for me was his try on a glorious summer's evening in Perpignan in 2008.
There's no dignity in plastic seats

#8 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:04 PM

Very sorry to see him go back ... too soon really, like Brett Dallas and Rocket Rod Jensen.

Apparently he does a lot of community work as well.

Edited by Wolford6, 19 August 2010 - 03:07 PM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#9 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,943 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

It seems the switch to the right wing and away from Senior hampered his try scoring, it's all about Ryan Hall now. Shame really.

If I got that one completely wrong I'll hold my hands up, but I thought pre-Ryan Hall, Scott Donald was the left winger...

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#10 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Aug 19 2010, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I got that one completely wrong I'll hold my hands up, but I thought pre-Ryan Hall, Scott Donald was the left winger...

Nope- you're right. Ropey first year on the right, a couple of good 'uns on the left, quieter again since he was switched to the right to make way for Hall. This led Phil Clarke to describe Donald as "The Wing Beneath the Win" after last year's grand final.

http://www.skysports...5625484,00.html

Edited by ArmchairRhino, 19 August 2010 - 05:50 PM.

There's no dignity in plastic seats

#11 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:25 PM

Scotty has been a good servant to leeds and scored some good tries in some memorable games i wish he had played in the wcc challenge ,i think he would have scored where the young kallum watkins did not,but i know Scott would always acknowledge the great centre he played with when on the left wingTHE EVERGREEN keith senior
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users