BBC to show Carnegie Challenge Cup final in high definition

The Carnegie Challenge Cup final, Rugby League's oldest and most prestigious knockout competition, will be broadcast live for the first time in high definition on the BBC HD channel (Saturday August 28, kick off 2:30pm, BBC HD & BBC One).

Carnegie Challenge Cup holders Warrington Wolves will take on Engage Super League champions Leeds Rhinos in the Wembley showpiece final with the match being simulcast live on BBC One, BBC HD and streamed live on the BBC Sport website.

Clare Balding will present BBC's TV coverage alongside studio guests Brian Noble and Justin Morgan, with in-game commentary coming from Dave Woods and Jonathan Davies. The pitchside reporting team will include Tanya Arnold, Damien Johnson and Robbie Paul.

"The Challenge Cup final between Leeds and Warrington will be an epic contest featuring two giants of the game and with the final being shown live in HD for the first time on the BBC, viewers around the country will be able to see Rugby League in its finest glory," said BBC Sport Editor, Carl Hicks.

"The Challenge Cup final is one of the crown jewels in the BBC Sport schedule and we will be covering the match comprehensively across all of our platforms with over a million fans tuning in to one of sports must see events in the calendar."

Pre-match coverage of the Cup final will start at 1:30pm via the Red Button with the full programme coming live from Wembley at 2:10pm on BBC One and BBC HD. Post-match will see the popular Rugby League forum being aired for 30 minutes via the red button.

BBC Radio 5 live and BBC Radio 5 live Sports Extra will also carry extensive coverage from the final, including live commentary from Wembley and a full Challenge Cup final preview broadcast live on 5 live on Friday August 27 from 7pm.

The Carnegie Challenge Cup final, Rugby League's oldest and most prestigious knockout competition, will be broadcast live for the first time in high definition on the BBC HD channel (Saturday August 28, kick off 2:30pm, BBC HD & BBC One).

Carnegie Challenge Cup holders Warrington Wolves will take on Engage Super League champions Leeds Rhinos in the Wembley showpiece final with the match being simulcast live on BBC One, BBC HD and streamed live on the BBC Sport website.

Clare Balding will present BBC's TV coverage alongside studio guests Brian Noble and Justin Morgan, with in-game commentary coming from Dave Woods and Jonathan Davies. The pitchside reporting team will include Tanya Arnold, Damien Johnson and Robbie Paul.

"The Challenge Cup final between Leeds and Warrington will be an epic contest featuring two giants of the game and with the final being shown live in HD for the first time on the BBC, viewers around the country will be able to see Rugby League in its finest glory," said BBC Sport Editor, Carl Hicks.

"The Challenge Cup final is one of the crown jewels in the BBC Sport schedule and we will be covering the match comprehensively across all of our platforms with over a million fans tuning in to one of sports must see events in the calendar."

Pre-match coverage of the Cup final will start at 1:30pm via the Red Button with the full programme coming live from Wembley at 2:10pm on BBC One and BBC HD. Post-match will see the popular Rugby League forum being aired for 30 minutes via the red button.

BBC Radio 5 live and BBC Radio 5 live Sports Extra will also carry extensive coverage from the final, including live commentary from Wembley and a full Challenge Cup final preview broadcast live on 5 live on Friday August 27 from 7pm.

John: Will it in also be in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound as opposed to Dolby Digital 2.0?

This is far superior quality and doesn't involve having to scale up to 5.1 using Dolby ProLogic

I've noticed through my AV receiver that quite a few HD RL matches on sky are not in 5.1 surround sound (usually Co-Op games), but only in 2.0 :angry: . Boots'n'all is never in 5.1 either

John: Will it in also be in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound as opposed to Dolby Digital 2.0?

This is far superior quality and doesn't involve having to scale up to 5.1 using Dolby ProLogic

I've noticed through my AV receiver that quite a few HD RL matches on sky are not in 5.1 surround sound (usually Co-Op games), but only in 2.0 :angry: . Boots'n'all is never in 5.1 either

I'm afraid the above mentioned programs are not shown in HD, but are just on the respective HD channel.

If you are using Sky+HD, the programs in orange on the HD channels are broadcast in HD, and the Coop matches and Boots N All are not in orange.

Super League, Championship, the play-offs, Challenge Cup, and World Cup.

Http://www.freewebs.com/sltipping

BBC to show Two Four Nations games as well - http://www.rugbyleagueontv.co.uk

I'm pleased they are starting the coverage on the Red Button. I appreciate they have Formula 1 to cover but it was a bit poor last year when they came on about 2:15 because the F1 had been delayed a bit.

Since the game didn't kick off until 2:30 it didn't really matter though.

Last new RL ground (96): Queensway Stadium - North Wales v South Wales 25/6/17

aren't the two 4 nations games listed still 'TBC'?

on bbc....

Sat 23 Oct TBC Four Nations: New Zealand v England LIVE Kick Off 8:00am -

Sun 24 Oct TBC Four Nations: Australia v Papua New Guinea LIVE Kick Off 6:00am

Since the game didn't kick off until 2:30 it didn't really matter though.

I know that but part of cup final day used to be loads of build up and pre match entertainment. We'd didn't get that last year. It was on air, straight into anthems and kick off.

I know that but part of cup final day used to be loads of build up and pre match entertainment. We'd didn't get that last year. It was on air, straight into anthems and kick off.

I fully agree. Part of the occassion is the build up of the atmosphere. Bring back the community singing to be followed by that lovely Welsh lass Katherine Jenkins. I have always enjoyed the enthusiasm of the youngsters playing before the big game. And the people in fancy dress always amuse me.

Enjoy it everyone.

Just corrected you there.

It can be a bit mixed although i do enjoy some of it, the important thing is that a lead in time draws in more casual viewers and reflects on the status of the sport and the final.

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx