TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

St Helens- time for the RFL to act.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Bitofaboogie

Bitofaboogie
  • Coach
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (3owls @ Aug 21 2010, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is the 2nd consecutive game i've seen saints involved in that has been absolutely ruined by their petulance, bad language and constant moaning. How keiron cunningham stayed on the field after clearly telling Richard silverwood to fluck off is something the RFL really need to address. If silverwoood is not strong enough to control the players he should be relieved of his position, for example Silverwood to James Graham,
"You're not getting back ten yards because you're spending too much time arguing with me"
Who's fault is that Richard? You're letting him do it you mug. As for Wellens running in and giving Silverwood a mouthful for claiming he was obstructed in trying to make a tackle when he was about ten yards off the play........grow up you silly old twit, you're just too slow these days. The game is degenerating towards football levels in the tantrum stakes and it's time for the RFL to act, it's getting beyond a joke.

Saints are abviously trying to emulate the triple Superleague Champions who have got away with nonsense like this for season after season without punishment.

Meanwhile, the most disciplined and respectful side in the league continues to get the shaft from the RFL and its officials.

#22 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:31 AM

It's becoming endemic at all levels of the game to be honest and is one area where we could learn something from rugby union.

Only the captain should speak to the ref and any backchat/foul language and you're off - no exceptions.

The message would soon get home.

#23 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,148 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (Pottsy @ Aug 22 2010, 11:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's becoming endemic at all levels of the game to be honest and is one area where we could learn something from rugby union.

Only the captain should speak to the ref and any backchat/foul language and you're off - no exceptions.

The message would soon get home.

Agreed. That's the way it used to be until fairly recently. First word out of line you got marched back 10m. Keep it up & you'd get 10 mins in the bin. Swear - automatic red card.

Say what you like about Ganson, but you never see him putting up with this sort of thing.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#24 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,750 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (goldcard @ Aug 22 2010, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TBH, with Sinfield in 1 ear, Briers in his other ear, Silverwood has a tough task next weekend.
I agree it needs stamping on, it's gone too far already.

It's one thing chelping at the ref (see Alex Murphy for a master at that) but showing a complete lack of respect and using foul, insulting language is another, and completely unacceptable. Besides moaning to each other about it on here we should all write to the RFL complaining about this behaviour and the impact that it is having on the image and our enjoyment of the game.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#25 HaroldShand

HaroldShand
  • Coach
  • 2,553 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:14 AM

This is a real shame as our players respectful attitude to referees and their assistants was once something Rugby League could be proud of.
Of course players are highly-strung during intense moments of the game, but there's absolutely no excuse for using foul language towards an official.
Asides from an automatic sin-binning for bad language, maybe the referees need to distance themselves from the players somewhat to establish some kind of boundary.
I don't know when or why referees started calling players by their first names during games, but they should cut it out. When the person in charge encourages an informal atmosphere, it downgrades their authority.
Also, when team captains are given the right to query (sometimes aggressively) refereeing decisions, its a challenge to authority which diminishes respect.
If a referee feels he needs to warn a captain about his teams behaviour in a certain area then fine, explain the situation, but in terms of questioning decisions, the refs decision should not be challenged, and the opportunity should not be given.
I fear that the behaviour of some of our players towards referees is creeping dangerously close to that of the jumped up, precious tarts that play in the Premier League.

Edited by HaroldShand, 22 August 2010 - 11:16 AM.

What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

#26 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 618 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:21 AM

The natural conclusion to this decline in standards, in my opinion it has been a marked decline in the last couple of years, will be refs in the junior and amateur game coping even more flak than they get now.

Its hard enough reffing RL without the stick and for young officials taking their first steps, usually in isolated situations, any extra burden may prove fatal to their officiating careers.

#27 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Aug 22 2010, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Saints are abviously trying to emulate the triple Superleague Champions who have got away with nonsense like this for season after season without punishment.

Meanwhile, the most disciplined and respectful side in the league continues to get the shaft from the RFL and its officials.

[attachment=3014:7150.jpg]
Hope this helps!
Leeds players may talk back to the ref but I have never heard any of them swear at ref's.James Graham telling Halibert to "get out of the f-ing way" is totally unacceptable.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#28 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Aug 22 2010, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[attachment=3014:7150.jpg]
Hope this helps!
Leeds players may talk back to the ref but I have never heard any of them swear at ref's.James Graham telling Halibert to "get out of the f-ing way" is totally unacceptable.

Saints once again close to the top in terms of fair play, so maybe all this stuff about swearing is just bullsh)T. lol Sorry could not resist, of course we are the cause of the down fall of SL, not to mention the world economic crisis, and the flooding and the ........

I'll let you add anything else you feel the Saints should take a disproportionate amount of responsibility for.

I forgot about Global Warming.
Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#29 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (bewareshadows @ Aug 22 2010, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Saints once again close to the top in terms of fair play, so maybe all this stuff about swearing is just bullsh)T. lol Sorry could not resist, of course we are the cause of the down fall of SL, not to mention the world economic crisis, and the flooding and the ........

I'll let you add anything else you feel the Saints should take a disproportionate amount of responsibility for.

I forgot about Global Warming.

Sorry but when saints have been on tv,I've rarely seen them penalised for backchat, be very careful on that high horse won't you.They may be near the top of the fairplay league but get away with an awful lot.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#30 Rex Turp

Rex Turp
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (Bitofaboogie @ Aug 22 2010, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................can't even be bothered

#31 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Aug 22 2010, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry but when saints have been on tv,I've rarely seen them penalised for backchat, be very careful on that high horse won't you.They may be near the top of the fairplay league but get away with an awful lot.

Of course we get away with it, the refs want us to win SL, not the smelly other teams. It's part of the great expansionist RFL conspiracy.
Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

#32 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:46 PM

John Drake has a hot-line to the refs supremo, maybe he could ask him to have a look at our messages.

Send off anyone who abuses refs, Touch Judges, 4th officials, warn someone who swears at them once, then sin-bin them. If it's live TV maybe Sky/BBC should introduce a 15 second delay so they can shut down the sound if someone uses foul or abusive language.

I remember watching a live broadcast from the NRL GF, and a former player (Matty Johns?) was interviewing the winning players live on TV (c9) and all he got was "That was F***ing great, we F***ing f***ed them over", from one player, he looked at the camera and went back to the studio while he went off and found another player, gave him a warning they were live on TV and the player involved still used the "F" word.

It's a mans game but treat the ref with respect, otherwise it will look as silly as wendyball
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#33 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:16 PM

In part the refs have brought this on themselves.
They are far too matey with the players

In years gone by it was 'blue 13' now its 'Sinny'

#34 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (T-Dub @ Aug 22 2010, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like I said early the refs hold all the cards when it comes to this they can have as much or as little respect as they like.

#35 Vambo

Vambo
  • Coach
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:21 PM

Agree wholeheartedly that something should be done asap.
It was very disappointing to see James Graham abusing the ref and I had hoped that that particular incident would have been enough for the RFL to remind all players that dissent will not be tolerated.
Not gonna bash Stains though because no team is virgin white over this issue.

Send out a reminder to all clubs and players and then start sending them off if they carry on. Simples.

Going back a few years I remember being at Odsal and the ref sending Hanley off at half time for mouthing off. Times have changed... not always for the better.

Posted Image

#36 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (T-Dub @ Aug 22 2010, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Too right. Refs seem to have become more concerned about being everybody's friend than imposing their authority on the game.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users