Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mac's big problem looming.

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:02 PM

we could send the wingers on a aussie rules football crash course!!!!

#22 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (petero @ Aug 24 2010, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What eh, did someone write something, oh I see, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Yeah, some boring git wrote something about our players not being tall enough, and Australians being able to fly.

Go back to bed.

#23 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Aug 24 2010, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, some boring git wrote something about our players not being tall enough, and Australians being able to fly.

Go back to bed.

Takes one to know one! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

#24 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (petero @ Aug 24 2010, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Takes one to know one! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

How original.

rolleyes.gif

#25 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:58 PM

If any of out backs haven't been practicing these things then there is something seriously wrong. The afl style if catching has been common in afl training methods for many many years, as it has been in yawnion (courtesy of dave alred circa 2003). And in all honesty I would have thought we have been using the same methods for some years also, we're just not as good at it. For whatever their big lads have over us in leaping for the ball, we should maybe looking at ways to benefit from their size, maybe with grubber kicks to turn them around, with our backs running onto them.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#26 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,509 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (EastLondonMike @ Aug 24 2010, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If any of out backs haven't been practicing these things then there is something seriously wrong. The afl style if catching has been common in afl training methods for many many years, as it has been in yawnion (courtesy of dave alred circa 2003). And in all honesty I would have thought we have been using the same methods for some years also, we're just not as good at it. For whatever their big lads have over us in leaping for the ball, we should maybe looking at ways to benefit from their size, maybe with grubber kicks to turn them around, with our backs running onto them.

spot on, grubber kicks to turn them.

all this about needing tall lads..................remember Jason Robinson or Brian Carney..... little midgets, did we have the same concerns then??????

#27 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (EastLondonMike @ Aug 24 2010, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Leeds did this in a grand final against bradford, vanaikolo spent all game stooping to pick up grubbers in goal and frquently got nailed by mark calderwood. We need to play our own game, taking the aussies on at their own game will get us nowhere in my opinion.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#28 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (steef @ Aug 24 2010, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Leeds did this in a grand final against bradford, vanaikolo spent all game stooping to pick up grubbers in goal and frquently got nailed by mark calderwood. We need to play our own game, taking the aussies on at their own game will get us nowhere in my opinion.

Opposite ends of the field though isn't it.

The game is played differently nowadays with different athletes with better all round games and ability.
I wouldn't be too concerned about kicks to the corners, its only one aspect of the game.
If teams do not have the defensive structures to handle what is thrown at them they will lose, thats the way it works out usually.

#29 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (AndyCapp @ Aug 24 2010, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Opposite ends of the field though isn't it.

The game is played differently nowadays with different athletes with better all round games and ability.
I wouldn't be too concerned about kicks to the corners, its only one aspect of the game.
If teams do not have the defensive structures to handle what is thrown at them they will lose, thats the way it works out usually.

if you can create repeat sets for your team often then you'll spend less time defending bombs on your own line. I agree that if other things aren't right then kicking games will be the last of our problems.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#30 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:01 AM

Before you start worrying about the Aussies.

Likely Kiwi three quarter line:

Manu Vatuvei, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Steve Matai, Jason Nightingale

Seeing this list I am reminded of Travis Bickle, played by Robert de Niro in the film Taxi Driver, when he said to the pimp character Sport played by Harvey Keitel, after Bickel shoots Sport in the stomach:

"Suck on that!"

Edited by ParisSurtout, 26 August 2010 - 05:07 AM.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#31 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:52 AM

we don't worry about the kiwis...cos half of them will get injured before the 1st 4nations game

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#32 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE (roughyedspud @ Aug 25 2010, 05:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
we don't worry about the kiwis...cos half of them will get injured before the 1st 4nations game

Or banned by the fair-minded Australians.

#33 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:54 AM

vatuvei is the only real worry for me, and only from 10-15 yards out with one man to beat.. kenny-dowell is a handy player, but not someone who is going to cause any real problems, same for nightingale. and matai will break a shoulder in the first ten minutes as he always does. I'd suggest the Aussies and Kiwis (and PNG) should worry a little bit about the likes of eastmond, tomkins, burgess and briscoe.

burgess will be the only one they will know anything about. Eastmond, tomkins and briscoe are all much improved from when the opposition would have last seen them.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#34 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Aug 24 2010, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
spot on, grubber kicks to turn them.

all this about needing tall lads..................remember Jason Robinson or Brian Carney..... little midgets, did we have the same concerns then??????

Yeah how about Jason Robinson then, tell me, how many tries he scored against any Australian side he competed against, ONE! When Paul Newlove gave him a walk in at Wembley during S/L wars World Cup.

Please; Robinson may have been good in our domestic game, but in Rep R/League he made very little impression at all.

#35 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,509 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (petero @ Aug 25 2010, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah how about Jason Robinson then, tell me, how many tries he scored against any Australian side he competed against, ONE! When Paul Newlove gave him a walk in at Wembley during S/L wars World Cup.

Please; Robinson may have been good in our domestic game, but in Rep R/League he made very little impression at all.

the OP is about tall centres, and Robinson caught the ball against them.

On the rep game we were ######, no change really.

#36 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (EastLondonMike @ Aug 25 2010, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
vatuvei is the only real worry for me, and only from 10-15 yards out with one man to beat.. kenny-dowell is a handy player, but not someone who is going to cause any real problems, same for nightingale. and matai will break a shoulder in the first ten minutes as he always does. I'd suggest the Aussies and Kiwis (and PNG) should worry a little bit about the likes of eastmond, tomkins, burgess and briscoe.

burgess will be the only one they will know anything about. Eastmond, tomkins and briscoe are all much improved from when the opposition would have last seen them.

Presumably then the entire Aussie Threequarterline is a set of duds then?
Vatuvei would not play if I was selecting a Kiwi side, Perret, Nightingale, Locke and the winger at the Titan's also( forget his name) would all be in my side before him.

Admittedly he's strong but he is far to prone to mistakes and a lazy ###### too. I expect he will be there for NZ but he is not one that I would choose. SKD and Matai are good centre's and will cause the Aussies problems, never mind us and PNG.

#37 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Aug 24 2010, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How original.

rolleyes.gif

Well mate thats taken as a compliment as its something that you will NEVER be accused of being blush.gif

#38 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (EastLondonMike @ Aug 25 2010, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

burgess will be the only one they will know anything about. Eastmond, Tomkins and Briscoe are all much improved from when the opposition would have last seen them.

Agreed. Although I guessing the Aussies will realise how good S Tomkins, Eastmond & T Briscoe are, unlike how much posters on here will under-rated them as they don't play in the NRL. I don't think there are 2 wingers in SL better than Ryan Hall & Tom Briscoe. Shame Peter Fox's form has been so poor this season though.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#39 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:13 AM

Manu Vatuvei is considerd a dangerous man by every opponent in the NRL.

Shaun Kenny-Dowell is bigger and faster than any English cenre known to man.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 26 August 2010 - 05:21 AM.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#40 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:01 AM

thats cos he's a aussie and all aussies are super human...right?

though at 6'5" & 15stone....... i'd actually say he's abit light

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users