Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mac's big problem looming.

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE (petero @ Aug 25 2010, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well mate thats taken as a compliment as its something that you will NEVER be accused of being blush.gif

Yeah, you should.

I mean your really original bigging up of everything Australian, paired with the knocking down of everything British in RL. rolleyes.gif

You are Paris' girlfriend, and I claim my 5.

I sometimes wonder why anyone bothers watching SL. I'm actually surprised that many on here have the energy to watch SL after whipping themselves up into such an orgasmic frenzy watching the NRL.

You bore me.

#42 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:07 AM

Wouldnt worry tooo much bout there kicking game, we'll get done at the PTB, they'll be way quicker round that area.

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#43 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE (Lee @ Aug 26 2010, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wouldnt worry tooo much bout there kicking game, we'll get done at the PTB, they'll be way quicker round that area.

Correct.

#44 CGD

CGD
  • Coach
  • 896 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:35 AM

Funny, because I would've very much agreed with the concern over English players and the high-ball this time last year, but have a look at the Four Nations Final again and tell me which team was the better exponent of the tactic? It wasn't Australia. In particular, I remember Eastmond putting up a bomb into the right corner and Fox outjumped a static Jarryd Hayne for a try. And that's the key, save for Inglis and Folau (who will no longer be a rugby league player come this Four Nations), everyone is susceptible to being outjumped for a high ball if flat footed. It's all about the timing.

QUOTE (petero)
I am alarmed at the fact that so many people over here harp on so consistently about our forwards matching even overshadowing those of the S/Hemi. Having watched the NRL in some depth this season, I would go so far as to state that their backs are not as threatening as the forwards, in both Oz and Kiwiland!!

Mmm, I wouldn't go that far, but your point about Southern Hemisphere forwards being underrated is right. For the last 5 years, the Australian pack has been quite underrated.

QUOTE (EastLondonMike)
vatuvei is the only real worry for me, and only from 10-15 yards out with one man to beat.. kenny-dowell is a handy player, but not someone who is going to cause any real problems, same for nightingale.

Really? Vatuvei is the best winger in the NRL in my opinion. SKD is a huge threat. Nightingale is one of the safest wingers under the high ball, and he's quite short.

QUOTE (petero)
Vatuvei would not play if I was selecting a Kiwi side, Perret, Nightingale, Locke and the winger at the Titan's also( forget his name) would all be in my side before him.

Whaaat? No Vatuvei? Are you sure you've been watching the NRL this season? If he wasn't injured for about 10 rounds, he would romp the Dally M Winger of the Year. Akuila Uate will probably win it instead. Where are you suggesting Locke plays? I'd say fullback or not in the team at all. And the winger from the Titans? David Mead or Kevin Gordon? Mead is PNG and ruled out injured. Gordon is a New South Welshman/Australian.

#45 The Boy Saint

The Boy Saint
  • Coach
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (steef @ Aug 24 2010, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Leeds did this in a grand final against bradford, vanaikolo spent all game stooping to pick up grubbers in goal and frquently got nailed by mark calderwood. We need to play our own game, taking the aussies on at their own game will get us nowhere in my opinion.

I completely agree, GB/English RL head coaches spend too much time worrying about opposition strengths and not playing to their own.

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Aug 25 2010, 03:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Before you start worrying about the Aussies.

Likely Kiwi three quarter line:

Manu Vatuvei, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Steve Matai, Jason Nightingale

Seeing this list I am reminded of Travis Bickle, played by Robert de Niro in the film Taxi Driver, when he said to the pimp character Sport played by Harvey Keitel, after Bickel shoots Sport in the stomach:

"Suck on that!"

Theres only Vatuvei impresses me there, Kenny-Dowall, Matai and Nightingale are solid at best.

QUOTE (petero @ Aug 25 2010, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah how about Jason Robinson then, tell me, how many tries he scored against any Australian side he competed against, ONE! When Paul Newlove gave him a walk in at Wembley during S/L wars World Cup.

Please; Robinson may have been good in our domestic game, but in Rep R/League he made very little impression at all.

He didnt score against brisbane in Brisbane then? Or against Canterbury in Canterbury during the ill fated WCC Or twice on his GB debut at wembley? Behave yourself. He was the best winger in the world at his pomp.

#46 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Aug 26 2010, 07:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I sometimes wonder why anyone bothers watching SL. I'm actually surprised that many on here have the energy to watch SL after whipping themselves up into such an orgasmic frenzy watching the NRL.

According to him the Aussies aren't Supermen, he just dry-humps their legs, as the SL is a poor (or was it low?) level of competition...

You bore me.

I think he must bore most people on here with his BS.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#47 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (HappyDave @ Aug 26 2010, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
According to him the Aussies aren't Supermen, he just dry-humps their legs, as the SL is a poor (or was it low?) level of competition...

I believe the comment was that: compared to the NRL our S/L is an inferior competition; IT IS!
As for Dry dumps their legs?? Please, do explain.

I think he must bore most people on here with his BS.

BS? as with above, could you define that also.

#48 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:56 PM

Can someone please explain what dry humping is to this guy, please? laugh.gif

SL may not be up to standard with the NRL but you claimed that SL is a poor level of competition. I'd say the best 4-5 teams in the SL could compete with NRL teams on a pretty even playing-field, in my opinion.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#49 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (HappyDave @ Aug 28 2010, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can someone please explain what dry humping is to this guy, please? laugh.gif

SL may not be up to standard with the NRL but you claimed that SL is a poor level of competition. I'd say the best 4-5 teams in the SL could compete with NRL teams on a pretty even playing-field, in my opinion.

I've never sent a text either nor do I own or wnat to a mobile phone so dry humping and not being aware of its meaning is not something that I will be ashamed of not knowing, sorry to disappoint.

I will not contradict you on that as I do believe that S/L does not compare at all with the NRL.

OK 4-5 teams as you state, would be capable of competing in the NRL. Presumably Leeds, Saints, Wigan and Warrington .......................and. The fifth? And throughout an entire season, I don't believe any would.

Aren't there 14 teams contesting S/L?
So that is almost two thirds, or more teams that would remain un-competitive within the NRL, if that doesn't explain my reasoning then........................I won't bother any further only to say that you had better rethink your argument wink.gif

#50 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (petero @ Aug 31 2010, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've never sent a text either nor do I own or wnat to a mobile phone so dry humping and not being aware of its meaning is not something that I will be ashamed of not knowing, sorry to disappoint.

I will not contradict you on that as I do believe that S/L does not compare at all with the NRL.

OK 4-5 teams as you state, would be capable of competing in the NRL. Presumably Leeds, Saints, Wigan and Warrington .......................and. The fifth? And throughout an entire season, I don't believe any would.

Aren't there 14 teams contesting S/L?
So that is almost two thirds, or more teams that would remain un-competitive within the NRL, if that doesn't explain my reasoning then........................I won't bother any further only to say that you had better rethink your argument wink.gif

But who cares, apart from you, and a few other Aussie obsessed goons on here?

I watch SL because I enjoy it. I am a long term season ticket holder, and I enjoy everything about the matchday experience. I do not sit in my seat at the match thinking "I wonder if Wigan would be winning this 24-0 if they were playing Sydney City Roosters".

Do you know why I don't think about such things? Because it's completely bloody irrelevant, that's why.

Who gives a sh!te which teams would favourably compare to teams in the NRL? It's never going to happen, so why not just enjoy the stuff that's in front of us on the grass?

Conversely, if you think that SL is so poor when compared to the Aussie version, then just don't bloody watch it.

#51 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,618 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Aug 31 2010, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But who cares, apart from you, and a few other Aussie obsessed goons on here?

I watch SL because I enjoy it. I am a long term season ticket holder, and I enjoy everything about the matchday experience. I do not sit in my seat at the match thinking "I wonder if Wigan would be winning this 24-0 if they were playing Sydney City Roosters".

Do you know why I don't think about such things? Because it's completely bloody irrelevant, that's why.

Who gives a sh!te which teams would favourably compare to teams in the NRL? It's never going to happen, so why not just enjoy the stuff that's in front of us on the grass?

Conversely, if you think that SL is so poor when compared to the Aussie version, then just don't bloody watch it.

Good Post wink.gif

Your on Fire tonight biggrin.gif

#52 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Aug 31 2010, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your on Fire tonight biggrin.gif

There are more than a few posters on here who wish I was on fire, literally.

#53 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Aug 31 2010, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are more than a few posters on here who wish I was on fire, literally.

You've actually realised that to, have you?

Y'know I would imagine that even you would be hard pressed to find anyone who does sit at a match thinking " I wonder if Wigan/anyteam would be winning 24 nil if they were playing Sydney roosters" instead, stupid boy.
For once you are correct, that is an absolute irrevelence, why would anyone want to think that? sad.gif

It may come as a surprise but I also thoroughly enjoy S/L games too, it just so happens that I do not watch them through rose tinted glasses and convince myself that this is the ultimate in Rugby League, it is not.
The NRL like it or lump it often gives me 'personally' a bigger thrill still when I watch it, if that upsets you and your fellow deniers well tough ######.

There are good and bad games in the NRL and the best display out of three matches I saw on Saturday, two from Oz and the CCF was by Warrington!
I make no apologies for that statement either, before you start off with some inane comment yet again.

But on the whole the better quality R/L I am lucky enough to watch regularly, again this is simply my own opinion, is mainly from Oz were I find, the game is generally better contested and played by better on the whole, players and teams.

I do not consider the aussies supermen, that is your description not mine, but I do like their brand of R/L and will go on, even at the risk of upsetting you and voice my opinion on the subject.

PS. I hope we go there and win the 4 Nations next month, egg on my face or not.
Im'e not hopeful but nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see that occur.

#54 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:58 PM

Okay, I'll drop the dry humping jokes now, as I realise you're too young for the smutty joke. My bad! biggrin.gif

I live down in the south west so don't get to watch any pro/semi pro rugby at any grounds but I enjoy playing the amateur game & watching SL & the occasional CC game on TV and thoroughly agree with Hannibal. Got my SL Grand Final ticket on it's way. Wayhey!

Edited by HappyDave, 31 August 2010 - 10:01 PM.

#55 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:08 AM

QUOTE (petero @ Aug 31 2010, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You've actually realised that to, have you?

Y'know I would imagine that even you would be hard pressed to find anyone who does sit at a match thinking " I wonder if Wigan/anyteam would be winning 24 nil if they were playing Sydney roosters" instead, stupid boy.
For once you are correct, that is an absolute irrevelence, why would anyone want to think that? sad.gif

It may come as a surprise but I also thoroughly enjoy S/L games too, it just so happens that I do not watch them through rose tinted glasses and convince myself that this is the ultimate in Rugby League, it is not.
The NRL like it or lump it often gives me 'personally' a bigger thrill still when I watch it, if that upsets you and your fellow deniers well tough ######.

There are good and bad games in the NRL and the best display out of three matches I saw on Saturday, two from Oz and the CCF was by Warrington!
I make no apologies for that statement either, before you start off with some inane comment yet again.

But on the whole the better quality R/L I am lucky enough to watch regularly, again this is simply my own opinion, is mainly from Oz were I find, the game is generally better contested and played by better on the whole, players and teams.

I do not consider the aussies supermen, that is your description not mine, but I do like their brand of R/L and will go on, even at the risk of upsetting you and voice my opinion on the subject.

PS. I hope we go there and win the 4 Nations next month, egg on my face or not.
Im'e not hopeful but nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see that occur.

Wrong forum.

If you want to post about the NRL with one hand on the Kleenex, please go to the Australian RL forum.

This is for European RL.

Thanks.