Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Metropolitan line closures this Sat

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tommyvoll

tommyvoll
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:21 AM

HI, Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings for those of you thinking of using the Met line this Sat, but there is no service between Amersham and Northwood. So, don't park out at Amersham, Chalfont and Latimer, Chorleywood, Rickmansworth or Moor Park unless you are prepared to use the bus replacement service to Northwood and then get the tube on to Wembley.
Second year running this has happened. Of course it's only ordinary people in Britain who are dumb, not the highly-educated managers who make these decisions: "Oh, 85000 people at Wembley, that will make us a lot of money in fares. I know, let's have closures for the weekend and cause mass inconvenience."
In the immortal words of Richard Littlejohn: "You couldn't make it up!"

P.S. recommendations please for my annual bet on the Lance Todd Trophy winner

#2 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:41 PM

Instead of Amersham, head for Aylesbury, Princes Risboro, High Wycombe, or similar on the Chiltern line, for a train to Wembley Stadium Station.

I'll be in the Green Man, Aylesbury Market sq, less than a 5 min walk to the station for pre-train (12:33 dep, arrive 13:25) drinkies.
2 real ales, food, stunning landlady, perfect venue.... wink.gif

Oh yeah, Ben Westwood.

Edited by goldcard, 25 August 2010 - 01:00 PM.

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#3 tommyvoll

tommyvoll
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (goldcard @ Aug 25 2010, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Instead of Amersham, head for Aylesbury, Princes Risboro, High Wycombe, or similar on the Chiltern line, for a train to Wembley Stadium Station.

I'll be in the Green Man, Aylesbury Market sq, less than a 5 min walk to the station for pre-train (12:33 dep, arrive 13:25) drinkies.

Oh yeah, Ben Westwood.

#4 tommyvoll

tommyvoll
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

Sorry, think I just cocked up a reply. Will check in the morning and let you know, but I think the Aylesbury to Marylebone connection is out as well. High Wycombe connection is a possible, but I'd advise you to check it out in advance.

#5 Fully

Fully
  • Coach
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:14 PM

Is Watford Junction OK?

#6 brooza

brooza
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

I shall be going for a train to King's Cross, then probably a tube to Marylebone and the High Wycombe train to Wembley

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, K√łbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#7 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (tommyvoll @ Aug 25 2010, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, think I just cocked up a reply. Will check in the morning and let you know, but I think the Aylesbury to Marylebone connection is out as well. High Wycombe connection is a possible, but I'd advise you to check it out in advance.

Nat. Rail website had no issues flagged, it's a different route, overland with Chiltern Railways, goes via Wycombe, not Amersham (though that route might have problems, didn't check...), you flagged up underground issues.
I edited in the train times after I looked it up. wink.gif
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
And again!!!Posted Image

#8 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (Fully @ Aug 25 2010, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is Watford Junction OK?

Always been a dump..... tongue.gif
And again!!!Posted Image

#9 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,906 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:42 PM

Oh yeah, Ben Westwood.

How much from Aylesbury on the train, thinking of driving to Northolt.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#10 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Aug 25 2010, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How much from Aylesbury on the train, thinking of driving to Northolt.

It comes up as £15.80 return.I person, no cards/offers.
Not sure if better deal with travel card can be done.Or if travelcard for London would be cheaper.
Last year it cost me £33 for a 4 person travelpass thing, which I thought was decent value.
Advantage with getting on here is, it's the train's starting point, it's empty, you get a seat!!!
And again!!!Posted Image

#11 tommyvoll

tommyvoll
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:29 PM

Hi,

Checked out late this morning at Amersham station. Categorically told that for this coming weekend the Chiltern line out of Aylesbury will only go as far as Gt Missenden ( which is only a few stops). Posters in the entrance also say clearly no Chiltern service between Marylebone and Gt Missenden. However, this is a different Chiltern Railways route from the one that goes through High Wycombe to Marylebone, and that one looks ok - you could also get on that one further down at Beaconsfield.
Someone mentioned going into Watford Junction. There is a Watford underground station which is a branch of the Met Line, but that is also out of commission this weekend. Unless you are going into London and out again (pick up Jubilee line anywhere in London and it will take you to Wembley -as long as you're going in the right direction!), you will need to get down to Northwood to make use of the Met line.
Safe journeying to you all.

#12 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

Oh yeah, Ben Westwood.

So I got to the station at 10 to buy tickets (£32 for a group of 4 pass, great value), to be told my preferred train didn't exist, which was odd.
Cut short the pre-travel drinks and got the 11:38 direct service, which seemed to be full of Chelsea fans for some reason, though plenty of rugby fans joined on the way, plus a good few Leeds fans from Duckville.
There and back, no issues., except seat shortage.
And again!!!Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users