• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:46 PM

http://www.widnesvik...cle.php?id=2519

Apparently we had a turnover of £2.5m and made a profit of £1m!

I suspect it's linked to the massive losses we apparently incurred last year, also around £1m I believe. I suspect if we have a turnover that large then surely a few other clubs pass the £1m?

Edited by Maximus Decimus, 27 August 2010 - 04:49 PM.

#2 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (Maximus Decimus @ Aug 27 2010, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suspect it's linked to the massive losses we apparently incurred last year, also around £1m I believe. I suspect if we have a turnover that large then surely a few other clubs pass the £1m?

What amazing news for the club. A lot of recent losses were down to putting infrastructure in place and it looks like it is paying off. What with our youth team headed by Stuart Wilkinson and our first rate facilities the club looks to be in rude health for the future. When some clubs reportedly asking for an advance in sky moneys to stave off massive debts we are extremely lucky to have the setup we currently have.

#3 widnesvikings

widnesvikings
  • Players
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:16 PM

well done widnes vikings and especially mr ste oconnor the messiah.
Posted Image
WIDNES VIKINGS CHESHIRES MOST FAMOUS RUGBY LEAGUE CLUB

#4 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

Bloody hell, I know lots of abuse has been sent your way but thats immense!

Cummins Out.

#5 chrisl1

chrisl1
  • Coach
  • 582 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:30 PM

Well done to all at Widnes.

#6 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (chrisl1 @ Aug 27 2010, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well done to all at Widnes.

This surely begs the question of if Widnes can do it what's stopping everyone else?

Sure SL clubs have to spend more on players, SL salary cap of £1.6 million on the top 25 earners.

But surely the bigger sponsorship, TV and fans through the gate should cover this gap.

So what are the rest of the loss making SL clubs spending their money on?
Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#7 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:53 PM

Perhaps it is a case of needing a lower salary cap in SL? Or perhaps the clubs should stop spending so much on overrated antipodeans?

#8 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (bewareshadows @ Aug 27 2010, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This surely begs the question of if Widnes can do it what's stopping everyone else?

Sure SL clubs have to spend more on players, SL salary cap of £1.6 million on the top 25 earners.

But surely the bigger sponsorship, TV and fans through the gate should cover this gap.

So what are the rest of the loss making SL clubs spending their money on?

Never mind that, if Workington can post a profit based on crowds of around 500 than why can't other Super League clubs?!

#9 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,803 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:22 PM

Top news from Widnes. Looks like the Vikings are all set for Super League.

Surely this shows the benefits of licensing? E.G Widnes pretty much knew they were in last year so could concentrate on getting their finances, youth structures, marketing etc right.
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#10 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:22 PM

I would be very interested in seeing a breakdown of the £2.5m turnover, where they are getting the income from of £50K per week every week of the year, especially when they don't own their own ground.

Call me cynical but when something seems too good to be true......it usually means there's a SL application pending. Halifax even managed to attract a 5k crowd just when they needed it to get their average up to 2.5K.

#11 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (West Country Eagle @ Aug 27 2010, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Top news from Widnes. Looks like the Vikings are all set for Super League.

Surely this shows the benefits of licensing? E.G Widnes pretty much knew they were in last year so could concentrate on getting their finances, youth structures, marketing etc right.

There are good points and bad points to licensing. In my opinion, the cost of the bad points outnumbers the good but it has paid off for my club at least up till now.

#12 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE (Wakefield Ram @ Aug 27 2010, 07:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would be very interested in seeing a breakdown of the £2.5m turnover, where they are getting the income from of £50K per week every week of the year, especially when they don't own their own ground.

Call me cynical but when something seems too good to be true......it usually means there's a SL application pending. Halifax even managed to attract a 5k crowd just when they needed it to get their average up to 2.5K.

I can understand a Wakefield fan being cynical but you need to concentrate less on who is coming up and more who is going down.

Our turnover last year was almost enough anyway. It was always likely to be good enough this year, I just didn't expect it to be this good. We invested in a youth setup, gymnasium and others in recent years, now we are reaping the rewards of a good sponsorship and a low salary cap which again is a blessing and a curse.

#13 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:50 PM

Bulletproof - I'm not a Wakefield fan, I'm a Dewsbury fan interested in how Widnes have generated £2.5m turnover and £1m profit, which is a fair question.

Especially when you read this on the Vikings website...

http://www.widnesvik...cle.php?id=2516

Following on from yesterday's announcement regarding Widnes Vikings' fund-raising supporters organisation, ‘Vikings Quids In' (VIQI), looking to help toward securing the services of Anthony Thackeray, the scheme is pleased to announce that two formal recruitment events will be held next week.

So a club which has just announced a £1m profit is launching a recruitment drive amongst supporters to raise money to keep Anthony Thackeray?

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 27 August 2010 - 07:01 PM.

#14 darrenk

darrenk
  • Players
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:08 PM

A current mid table Championship club with crowds of 3-4,000 thousand over about a dozen home games and in a ground that is council owned, has turn over of 2.5 million pounds with a 1 million pound profit ???

Are the directors all off Dragons Den ?

#15 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,291 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (Bulletproof @ Aug 27 2010, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can understand a Wakefield fan being cynical but you need to concentrate less on who is coming up and more who is going down.

Our turnover last year was almost enough anyway. It was always likely to be good enough this year, I just didn't expect it to be this good. We invested in a youth setup, gymnasium and others in recent years, now we are reaping the rewards of a good sponsorship and a low salary cap which again is a blessing and a curse.

Read the poster's name - Ram, not Wildcat.

No SL axe to grind at all, in fact, although he is perfectly capable of defending himself on here.

Now, what was your point? Are you saying that everything that emanates from Widnes is blessed and must be accepted without question? Or would you prefer a healthy degree of cynicism for all such announcements no matter what their source?

There will be plenty of agents rubbing their hands at this news in anticipation of Widnes getting the nod next year. Or is that too cynical too?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#16 Hannibal

Hannibal
  • Coach
  • 11,790 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (darrenk @ Aug 27 2010, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A current mid table Championship club with crowds of 3-4,000 thousand over about a dozen home games and in a ground that is council owned, has turn over of 2.5 million pounds with a 1 million pound profit ???

Are the directors all off Dragons Den ?

Good point.

#17 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (Hannibal @ Aug 27 2010, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good point.

Good? They should get their FD straight down to 11 Downing Street and jib George Osborne off!

#18 BulldogBurt

BulldogBurt
  • Coach
  • 375 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:23 PM

I'm amazed at the figures we've announced, not necessarily that there has been a profit (although the size is astonishing) but the T/O figure is huge. I can completely understand how people would be sceptical about them, particularly with the franchise application around the corner, but I would point out that Widnes didn't need to announce such figures to impress the RFL, I'm sure £1.5m T/O and a small profit would have sufficed.

Also, when submitting figures as part of the application, Mr O'Connor can't just hand over a slip of paper and say "er, yeah that's how much we made last year", so if it's overly creative accounting it will probably backfire.

If they are accurate, it's a massive bonus for RL in this country (the game CAN be profitable) and may help to attract other investors/wealthy backers.

#19 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:46 PM

Once again we see another positive thread derailed by people with their agenda's who just want Widnes to desperately fail....

Oh wait that only happens when it's expansion clubs. With every other club it's just a natural message board conversation developing from unexpected news.

I'm fairly sure there's some creative accounting going on but at the end of the day we've ticked that box and we're out of debt which is positive news however you look at it.

#20 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:46 PM

I am sure Widnes are dead certs to be included in the Franchise. Well done and deserved.

Accepting that a club can generate £20k per week profit throughout the year (including the dead months from September to January) though from under 20 home games & after paying Players Contracts & Wages is quite remarkable and hasnt been seen by any professional club in the history of Super League. Quite unique.

If these accounts have been Audited then without doubt it is THE Blue print of how to survive in professional sport. Perhaps you would enlighten us all on how it has been done.

By the way the boast that the club is `debt free` doesnt wash. SOC bought the club debt free and has been in charge ever since and no doubt there will be a Directors Loan account somewhere in the Balance Sheet.

Anyway - well done - a bit like Liz Hurley - Figures have to be inspected to be believed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users