Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Yesterday's RL Cup Final..."Neutral" fans..

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,023 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:39 AM

Noticed Jill Halpenny Fan, a Widnes follower, wanted Wire to win yesterday. I found that a bit odd given local rivalry. And a few on here were cheering for Leeds due to Wendall's prolific posting. So who were you rooting for and why? Me? I was cheering for Wire of course, but then it would have been anyone against Leeds....apart from those East Hull folk obviously! (Don't take offence you Rhinos lot, it's just tradition... )

Edited by Old Frightful, 29 August 2010 - 08:50 AM.

RyanBailey_2640424.jpg

"Nobody told me there were two teams called Rovers, I thought I'd signed for Fev..."

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:47 AM

I cheered loudest when Ryan Bailey was held up and when Richie Mather's try was chalked off. So even Stevens. biggrin.gif

I wanted neither team to win because i) it's Leeds, ii) mouthy Wires on TRL and on the pitch. But hand on heart I just wanted a close game, so when one team took a huge lead, I wanted the gap to close. The overall winning side deserved it though, which was a big plus.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:52 AM

Went for Warrington on a "players I hate" count up. Leeds = 3 (Maguire, Smith and Bailey). Warrington = 1 (Briers).

Edited by dkw, 29 August 2010 - 08:53 AM.

#4 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,237 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:59 AM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Aug 29 2010, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
II wanted neither team to win because i) it's Leeds, ii) mouthy Wires on TRL and on the pitch. But hand on heart I just wanted a close game, so when one team took a huge lead, I wanted the gap to close. The overall winning side deserved it though, which was a big plus.

I wanted Leeds to win. i) for the reason highlighted & ii) because I'm from Leeds.
I used to hate Leeds, but since we no longer play them on a regular basis I've mellowed a little.
I suppose based on Maslow I could have a hierarchy of hate.
1. Cas
2. Cas
3 Cas
4 Wire
5 Pies
6 Saints
I hate the rest about equally wink.gif plus of course Radio Leeds for their one eyed Rhinos first, SL teams second, rest nowhere policy.

Edited by Trojan, 29 August 2010 - 11:41 AM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#5 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:06 PM

Warrington because I like to see trophies get shared around a bit. Of course if the same two sides meet in the final next year I might just support Leeds (assuming they don't fluke a SL win in the meantime).

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (Northern Sol @ Aug 29 2010, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(assuming they don't fluke a SL win in the meantime).
It'll be weird possibly seeing either of the Big 2 not win a trophy.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Aug 29 2010, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It'll be weird possibly seeing either of the Big 2 not win a trophy.

It's fairly weird that we are talking about a big two rather than a big four. But yeah, these are good times.

#8 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (Northern Sol @ Aug 29 2010, 03:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's fairly weird that we are talking about a big two rather than a big four. But yeah, these are good times.

I meant to put "Big 2". Past few seasons pundits "can't see past Leeds and St Helens".

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#9 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 03:10 PM

was definitely cheering for wire, after all they were playing a yorkshire team..............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#10 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

Warrington

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#11 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,450 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Aug 29 2010, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Noticed Jill Halpenny Fan, a Widnes follower, wanted Wire to win yesterday. I found that a bit odd given local rivalry.

Where did I say that?

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#12 Wendall

Wendall
  • Banned
  • 6,758 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (Old Frightful @ Aug 29 2010, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Noticed Jill Halpenny Fan, a Widnes follower, wanted Wire to win yesterday. I found that a bit odd given local rivalry. And a few on here were cheering for Leeds due to Wendall's prolific posting. So who were you rooting for and why? Me? I was cheering for Wire of course, but then it would have been anyone against Leeds....apart from those East Hull folk obviously! (Don't take offence you Rhinos lot, it's just tradition... )

Am glad you as a neutral saw sense and followed the mighty Wire! biggrin.gif

My posting was justified this time, I believe in my team and that was one hell of a show by our boys in p&b!

#13 Jerry the Berry

Jerry the Berry
  • Coach
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:35 PM

I decided to support whichever fans I was nearest on the day for the sake of harmony!

I quietly hoped that it might be the Leeds fans, but my seats turned out to be nearer the Warrington fans. There was quite a decent mix of Warrington and Leeds fans immediately around me (E503) together with a few Bradford and a couple of Huddersfield and one Saint Helens!

Edited by Jerry the Berry, 29 August 2010 - 08:37 PM.

#14 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:51 PM

I wanted the best team to win. If Wires won then that spreads the trophies and the joy around or if Leeds won then that would (maybe) reduce the Wire glamour fervour on this site. (I get a bit tired of the 'Ryan Atkins brothers cousin ate my gerbil' stories).

Having said that it's good that the Wire have broken into the top 4 mentality. Well deserved victory. Disliking the opposition because player(s) wind you up seems a common theme. Lee Briers certainly falls into this category. A bit of a John McEnroe, you don't like his mouth but can't help admire his talent. Looking forward to the playoffs even more now.

#15 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (TBC @ Aug 29 2010, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...Disliking the opposition because player(s) wind you up seems a common theme. Lee Briers certainly falls into this category. A bit of a John McCririck, you don't like his mouth but can't help admire his talent.
Edited for accuracy! biggrin.gif

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#16 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (Jerry the Berry @ Aug 29 2010, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I decided to support whichever fans I was nearest on the day for the sake of harmony!

I quietly hoped that it might be the Leeds fans, but my seats turned out to be nearer the Warrington fans. There was quite a decent mix of Warrington and Leeds fans immediately around me (E503) together with a few Bradford and a couple of Huddersfield and one Saint Helens!

That's more than we get to our own away games - did you take their name and address by any chance?
I could pass it on to Ken Davy and I'm sure he'd give them a free season ticket for next season. wink.gif

#17 Jerry the Berry

Jerry the Berry
  • Coach
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (TBC @ Aug 29 2010, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's more than we get to our own away games - did you take their name and address by any chance?
I could pass it on to Ken Davy and I'm sure he'd give them a free season ticket for next season. wink.gif

wink.gif

I think I saw more Hudd shirts overall than Wigan, and that's coming from a Wigan fan myself!

#18 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (Jerry the Berry @ Aug 29 2010, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wink.gif

I think I saw more Hudd shirts overall than Wigan, and that's coming from a Wigan fan myself!

You must be colour blind. wink.gif

#19 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,023 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (Jill Halfpenny fan @ Aug 29 2010, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where did I say that?

Apologies young man, briefly scanned through the match thread after a beer or two and thought you said you were chuffed Wire won. Must admit I thought it a bit odd at the time. Must pay closer attention to your posts in the future.

RyanBailey_2640424.jpg

"Nobody told me there were two teams called Rovers, I thought I'd signed for Fev..."

#20 Human Punk

Human Punk
  • Coach
  • 345 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (dkw @ Aug 29 2010, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Went for Warrington on a "players I hate" count up. Leeds = 3 (Maguire, Smith and Bailey). Warrington = 1 (Briers).

Thanks for that. I thought it was just me who had an irrational hatred for Smith and Maguire (Bailey's a no-brainer). Maybe it's not irrational after all.

Anyway, it had to be Warrington. We all hate Leeds (don't we)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users