Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Good and bad things about the 2010 Challenge Cup Final

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:55 PM

Bad things to say.

1.) Fans fighting, don't care who or what started it, just NOT in our game (please FFS)
2.) Ryan Bailey......................a disgrace, end of the matter.

Good.

Wembley Weekend, love it, met some really fantastic people, brillant weekend, here's to next year.

#22 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 20,978 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:20 PM

Two good points, but which looked originally to be bad points, which turned out to be strange points;

i) Danny McGuire getting an accidental knee knocking him out for a little bit, only for him to get up and carry on a few minutes later.
ii) Chris Clarkson to have a look of immense pain on his face as he was bent backwards over his knee, possible season ending injury, only for him to get up and carry on a few minutes later.

Those weren't sarcastic observations either. It's uncommon to see players react so horrifically only for them to be (thankfully) ok, or as ok one can be after something like that.

Well done chaps.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#23 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (hindle xiii @ Aug 30 2010, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Two good points, but which looked originally to be bad points, which turned out to be strange points;

i) Danny McGuire getting an accidental knee knocking him out for a little bit, only for him to get up and carry on a few minutes later.
ii) Chris Clarkson to have a look of immense pain on his face as he was bent backwards over his knee, possible season ending injury, only for him to get up and carry on a few minutes later.

Those weren't sarcastic observations either. It's uncommon to see players react so horrifically only for them to be (thankfully) ok, or as ok one can be after something like that.

Well done chaps.

They'll be in Emmerdale next month wink.gif laugh.gif

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 30 August 2010 - 04:38 PM.

#24 Jerry the Berry

Jerry the Berry
  • Coach
  • 5,249 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:27 PM

Good bits:

1st time at new Wembley and loved it. Had great seats and was really impressed with the stadium.

Bad bits:

The one-sided match

Club Wembley empty seats

The kit clash

The numpties fighting in the ground at the 70 min mark. From my seats it was significant enough to distract from the game for a good 5 mins which was a bit embarrassing personally as was the first spectated game of RL for one member of my party, and for the two others it was the first big event they've seen live.

#25 goldcard

goldcard
  • Coach
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (dallymessenger @ Aug 30 2010, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
poor game

leeds were useless and wire were just better than average

shame for such a large crowd in a great stadium to get such a poor quality game of RL.

I take it you didn't watch.

24 tackles early doors in the Wire 20, we shut them out, that won it, defence.

Then we had to break them down, step forward Lee Briers, behind a pack gaining dominance.

Leeds also had spells in the second half, but by then the try they did score was consolation.
We'd have preferred nil, but that's a big ask.

Mclennan claims his side didn't freeze, Wires just out defended and dominated much of the game.(I think that was the Express where I read that) Other than Sinfield going walkabout, Leeds did what we let them, but it was no-where like the blow-outs at Huddersfield or in the semi v Catalans, where "game over" signs were up before half time.
If Peacock had played, then the forward battle might have been a bit tastier, but it was still a a good game, which if not really in doubt, had an element of it when Smith scored.

I'm sorry we didn't choke, which you love us doing, took great delight in it.
We're winners now, get used to it.... wink.gif
Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.
Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)
Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....
And again!!!Posted Image
Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

#26 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (Joe Shep @ Aug 30 2010, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mate, if you don't think that these shirts look massively different then you need your eyes testing! Are you seriously implying you could confuse the two?

So we have a Blue and Amber kit and a Blue and Amber kit. Great!

Both kits manage to clash with the only team that they would clash with.

#27 Native New Yorker

Native New Yorker
  • 627 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:26 PM

Had a guy from Munster behind us who thought he was going to Twickenham, conned by his mates biggrin.gif Seemed to enjoy the match and atmosphere though.
SQL Minor Stupidship winner 2011, 2012
Stupid Grand Champion 2012
Challenged Cup Winner 2013

#28 Joe Shep

Joe Shep
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (Maximus Decimus @ Aug 30 2010, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So we have a Blue and Amber kit and a Blue and Amber kit. Great!

You've got predominantly blue kit with some amber on it, and a predominantly amber kit with some blue on it. The psychic kit designers at Leeds weren't to know that Warrington would move away from their predominantly white shirt of last year to a kit that would clash with both.

QUOTE (Maximus Decimus @ Aug 30 2010, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Both kits manage to clash with the only team that they would clash with.

Yep you're right - it's all Leeds' fault. I'm sure they'll be consulting with Warrington in the future before they confirm any kit designs...

Bottom line - it ain't that important. Yes it wasn't the clearest distinction between the two teams, but I've seen worse. Hopefully common sense will prevail next time. And the Leeds kit designers will be burned at the stake...

Edited by Joe Shep, 30 August 2010 - 07:55 PM.

#29 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (widnesvikings @ Aug 30 2010, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Warrington didn't let Leeds play, and thoroughly deserved the win, they are a very good team and could be a big match team for a good few years, although they are my teams biggest rivals, I can honestly say they have waited a long time for this era and good luck to them. and Wendell if you read this well done mate you stuck with them since childhood. you watched my team destroy everyone for years. its great to have a successful team and you deserve all the success coming to your fans. i know tons of long term wire fans and though i love the banter with them, you cant deny them the 2 challenge cup wins thoroughly deserved and enjoy it wire fans. Widnes til i die biggrin.gif.maybe we might get the chance in a few years to kick your teams arses one again wink.gif

Well said.

It was fine on TV as it was pretty clear which team was which close-up but Warrington should have worn their away kit. But I guess green & red ribbons may not have worked on the Cup. biggrin.gif
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#30 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:21 PM

Good points - pretty much everything about the actual match!

Bad points - for the second year running the whole pre and post-match experienced was ruined by the absolutely shocking sound system. It really is the worst I have experienced at any stadium I have ever been to.

#31 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 607 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:28 PM

Best team won obviously but what really worried me was that it was like watching an NRL game from about 8 years ago with sides banging out sets of 6 and the winners being decided on who who blinked first and who didn't deal with kicks.

Looks like Leeds will have to do some rebuilding in the same way as everyone caught up with the Bulls power game only his time its Leeds pace and backing up game with little guile that has been found out.

Warrington were organised and competent - whilst Leeds looked like a side looking at each other to pull off a piece of individual play to break the line.

All season I have wondered why Leeds are running where they are in the table and when you see them live its pretty obvious - Two runners in the halves is at least one too many.

#32 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (Joe Shep @ Aug 30 2010, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You've got predominantly blue kit with some amber on it, and a predominantly amber kit with some blue on it. The psychic kit designers at Leeds weren't to know that Warrington would move away from their predominantly white shirt of last year to a kit that would clash with both.

Yep you're right - it's all Leeds' fault. I'm sure they'll be consulting with Warrington in the future before they confirm any kit designs...

Bottom line - it ain't that important. Yes it wasn't the clearest distinction between the two teams, but I've seen worse. Hopefully common sense will prevail next time. And the Leeds kit designers will be burned at the stake...

I agree.

I still think Leeds should have more common sense, seeing as though they only ever clash with one other clubs colours but the RFL should have seen it coming. Wendall even posted about it a few days after the semi finals so it's not like nobody realised it.

You could see the difference most of the time but there was the odd occasion from an up and under where it was difficult to see. It was disappointing when reading Twitter to find it was what most people were commenting on, meaning they'd notice that rather than the game.

Although it was probably for the best seeing the quality of the game...

Actually on a separate point, from reading Twitter it was quite disheartening to see how many people hate RL and feel the need to comment on it when it's on national TV.

#33 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,677 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (RS @ Aug 30 2010, 10:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Best team won obviously but what really worried me was that it was like watching an NRL game from about 8 years ago with sides banging out sets of 6 and the winners being decided on who who blinked first and who didn't deal with kicks.

We always seem to be a few years behind the NRL. I wouldn't say 8 years but the game does seem more like an NRL game did a few years ago.

The positive and I've been saying it for a while now, is that the NRL seems to have moved to a more skills based game again. Whenever I see it and I watch a lot of the highlights, the tries are often sensational.

#34 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:39 PM

Even though Leeds weren't playing at their best I thought Warrington were superb, they completely shut Leeds out and when Leeds did get over the whitewash Mathers was able to hold them up. Plus Lee Briers passing & kicking game was fantastic.

I'm a neutral but have enjoyed watching Warrington & Wigan play this season.
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#35 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE (HappyDave @ Aug 31 2010, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even though Leeds weren't playing at their best I thought Warrington were superb, they completely shut Leeds out and when Leeds did get over the whitewash Mathers was able to hold them up. Plus Lee Briers passing & kicking game was fantastic.

I'm a neutral but have enjoyed watching Warrington & Wigan play this season.

TBH mate, I think a few people are a touch lazy with their summary of the game being that Leeds were dismal and Wire just did what they had to. Funnily enough we haven't had any credit on this cup run, as apparently Hudds and Catalans were also dire and offered no opposition whatsoever.

The fact is that this Leeds team are a big game team, look what they have done to Saints for the last few years, yet we did the same to Leeds. The fact is that Leeds weren't horrendous, they were just outplayed on the day. Their forwards couldn't make the hard yards, and this then made the playmakers look out of sorts. It's not as if the team was falling off tackles left right and centre or making error after error (the last error stat I saw was 9-8 in Wire's favour), they simply lost the arm wrestle against a superior pack, and Warrington's scrambling defence was outstanding.

I posted this on another thread, but I am disappointed with some people's summary of the game being low on quality, I completely disagree. It may not have been tense and close, but like the Grand Final a couple of years back when Leeds beat Saints 33-6, it was enoyable and high on quality play.

Whilst I appreciate that Warrington are not a popular team on these boards, I think it is good for the game that a team outside of the traditional Super League Big 4 put in a performance like that against one of the traditional giants.

Prior to the start of the season, Leeds were hot favourites for everything, and nobody looked past Leeds and Saints. So far, two trophies have been decided and they haven't won any of them.

#36 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Aug 31 2010, 12:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TBH mate, I think a few people are a touch lazy with their summary of the game being that Leeds were dismal and Wire just did what they had to. Funnily enough we haven't had any credit on this cup run, as apparently Hudds and Catalans were also dire and offered no opposition whatsoever.

The fact is that this Leeds team are a big game team, look what they have done to Saints for the last few years, yet we did the same to Leeds. The fact is that Leeds weren't horrendous, they were just outplayed on the day. Their forwards couldn't make the hard yards, and this then made the playmakers look out of sorts. It's not as if the team was falling off tackles left right and centre or making error after error (the last error stat I saw was 9-8 in Wire's favour), they simply lost the arm wrestle against a superior pack, and Warrington's scrambling defence was outstanding.

I posted this on another thread, but I am disappointed with some people's summary of the game being low on quality, I completely disagree. It may not have been tense and close, but like the Grand Final a couple of years back when Leeds beat Saints 33-6, it was enoyable and high on quality play.

Whilst I appreciate that Warrington are not a popular team on these boards, I think it is good for the game that a team outside of the traditional Super League Big 4 put in a performance like that against one of the traditional giants.

Prior to the start of the season, Leeds were hot favourites for everything, and nobody looked past Leeds and Saints. So far, two trophies have been decided and they haven't won any of them.

I thought Warrington's defence was superb against a side who didn't gel like in previous years. As for not being popular on the message board, it's more likely Wendall's rantings and gloating puts people off. cool.gif

The Wire have come on leaps and bounds and is good for the sport.

Edited by Saint Billinge, 31 August 2010 - 07:29 AM.

visit www.raygent.co.uk for football and rugby league stories. 

#37 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:34 AM

Best bits....

1 - Trojan taking an hour to get off the motorway at Stanmore
2 - My SOutherner mates first experience of RL, they absolutely loved the whole day
3 - Wires performance, watched the game again last night and they were outstanding

Worst bits

1 - One sided game but that's a bit harsh on Wire I guess
2 - The "try" scored by Leeds which was so forward it's unbelievable
3 - The numpties from Warrington who thought that they could jump the queue by walking to the front and talking to somebody to make it look like they were mates - however I said my piece and they were removed!!! smile.gif

Overall a simply fabulous day - you just cannot beat RL
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#38 clapham_rhino

clapham_rhino
  • Coach
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:26 AM

But the kit clash did make a difference, the third try came from a referee mistake, the ball comes clearly off Mathers, but it was so hard to tell the teams apart that the referee made an understandable mistake, I was in the stand at that side and you honestly couldn't tell what had happened.

Now Warrington totally deserved their victory - great Hicks tries - superb take for the second, my man of the match, but would have made so much more sense to have been in red and green. And regardless of Leeds home and away kits could have easily been done.

#39 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,433 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:31 AM

The subject of the kits.

Warrington won the toss.

So why should they have to play in the colours of red/green???

Leeds could have easily worn the "John Holmes" kit, that would have been very fittiing in his honour.

(but then again after the final result, best they didn't wink.gif )

#40 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (Kenilworth Tiger @ Aug 31 2010, 08:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Best bits....

1 - Trojan taking an hour to get off the motorway at Stanmore
2 - My SOutherner mates first experience of RL, they absolutely loved the whole day
3 - Wires performance, watched the game again last night and they were outstanding

Overall a simply fabulous day - you just cannot beat RL

1 - harsh, but laugh.gif

2 - Great to hear, love hearing examples of new fans loving our game, it's been a pleasure having the likes of Cofi on here this year for example.

3 - Thanks for acknowledging that, I only got to watch the match again last night, and based on some of the comments here I wondered whether my perception of our performance had been influenced by the occasion, but actually, I still think we were excellent, and it is good that some people can acknowledge that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users