Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Good and bad things about the 2010 Challenge Cup Final

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,722 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (clapham_rhino @ Aug 31 2010, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But the kit clash did make a difference, the third try came from a referee mistake, the ball comes clearly off Mathers, but it was so hard to tell the teams apart that the referee made an understandable mistake, I was in the stand at that side and you honestly couldn't tell what had happened.

Now Warrington totally deserved their victory - great Hicks tries - superb take for the second, my man of the match, but would have made so much more sense to have been in red and green. And regardless of Leeds home and away kits could have easily been done.
Common sense should have prevailed, and I think you are spot on with the third try, and Silverwood clearly couldn't tell a yellow ###### from an elbow.

There are two issues which should be cleared up for future years. As has been said, Leeds only true colour clash all year is Warrington, and it doesn't make sense to have the same colours for home and away kits. Warrington have done this in the past, and it is silly. This shouldn't be allowed to happen, there is no reason why Warrington should have to wear their away kit at home (they didn't in the league game, and there was a clash there too).

The second thing, the RFL should have ensured that there was an adequate difference, and if that meant changing protocol so that Warrington would have had to wear their 2nd strip, then so be it, although this should be pre-empted in the first place.

#42 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (Maximus Decimus @ Aug 30 2010, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That makes no sense whatsoever. If 2 kits are so different how can they both clash with one kit?

There's an easy way to stop them clashing. Have them as different colours like most clubs would have.

Didn't Leeds and Wire share the same colours in the 1961 Championship Final at Odsal. The difference then Warrington always had predominately white shirt ( broadish blueband with narrower primrose bands*) and White shorts. Leeds I think traditional blue shirt with broad amber and narrow hoops and all blue shorts. My black and white photo images of that tie show I think it worked well giving plenty of contrast which was sadly missing Saturday.

*see Dave Ts Brian Bevan stamp image

Edited by audois, 31 August 2010 - 10:51 AM.

si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#43 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE (Kenilworth Tiger @ Aug 31 2010, 08:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Best bits....

1 - Trojan taking an hour to get off the motorway at Stanmore

laugh.gif laugh.gif angry.gif
We were still there in plenty of time - left at 8-00 am got to problem slip road at 11-30 am. We were in Wok & Roe as mentioned before by 1-00 pm with plenty of time for fish and taties.
I saw the price of drinks inside the ground - that's why I didn't buy any.
TBH I was a bit unimpressed by the new Wembley - it was better than I remember the old Wembley, but IMO not as good as Old Trafford.
Given that we were delayed, and had to park about a mile from Stanmore tube station I was impressed by London's fantastic transport system. The game finished at 4-30, we were on our way back north by 5-30, and home before 9-00.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#44 FullFat

FullFat
  • Players
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Aug 31 2010, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Common sense should have prevailed, and I think you are spot on with the third try, and Silverwood clearly couldn't tell a yellow ###### from an elbow.

To be fair to Silverwood he was on the opposite side to Mathers and so maybe it appeared to come off the leeds player but the linesman has no such excuse, I was in the top tier 5 rows from the back and as Riley broke away I said he was offside but the whistle never came.

As for the colour clash I can't say I really noticed it at all.

#45 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (audois @ Aug 31 2010, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't Leeds and Wire share the same colours in the 1961 Championship Final at Odsal. The difference then Warrington always had predominately white shirt ( broadish primrose band with narrower blue bands) and White shorts. Leeds I think traditional blue shirt with broad amber and narrow hoops and all blue shorts. My black and white photo images of that tie show I think it worked well giving plenty of contrast which was sadly missing Saturday.

The first time I saw Leeds play live was at Headingley on Boxing Day 1960, Leeds played in blue shirts with an amber V, the strip for the 1961 Championship final reverted to the former blue shirt with the broad and narrow stripe and it was reported that the strip had been presented to the side by Arthur Clues the former Leeds and Hunslet Aussie star who in those days ran a sports outfitters on Merrion Street in Leeds.
The first time I saw Warrington play was the following season at Belle Vue and they played in white shirts with a primrose and blue band (Bevan scored)

#46 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (FullFat @ Aug 31 2010, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be fair to Silverwood he was on the opposite side to Mathers and so maybe it appeared to come off the leeds player but the linesman has no such excuse, I was in the top tier 5 rows from the back and as Riley broke away I said he was offside but the whistle never came.

We were sat above the Royal Box and I said he must be offside, but I wasn't sure until I saw the tv replay on Sunday morning. It was a terrible decision. Whether it cost Leeds the game who knows. For me the loss of Peacock cost Leeds the game - he is an imense player and his loss was devastating for Leeds. Having said that he's no spring chicken and they should really be looking at a replacement.

#47 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,722 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (FullFat @ Aug 31 2010, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely agree, and it wasn't a criticism of Silverwood as it was a tough call, as if he did see it, he will have simply seen it hitting something yellow, which both kits had plenty of, and that same excuse can certainly be used for the linesman too.

I suspected there was an offside, however you can only pull the game up if you see it, and I don't think anybody could be sure until the replay came, which was too late for a VR decision to be called for.

Whilst it may have been at a crucial time, I'm glad it didn't turn out to be the match-winning try, and there is certainly an argument for a forward pass for the Leeds try anyway.

#48 Errol Stock

Errol Stock
  • Coach
  • 484 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:48 AM

Good Things

"Sold Out" - great news and as said - need to sort out the corporate waste of tickets.

Sheer quality of Warrington's defence for the full 80 - magnificent

Danny McGuire - incredible work rate in attack and defence

Broadcasted in HD

Looked good on TV

Bad Thing

The fight! But watching on TV - didn't have a clue it was happening.

Minor Niggles

Poor woman who sang had a faulty microphone - poor do!

Not enough cameras

Leeds fans walking out - Leeds tried hard and didn't deserve to have that done.

Question

Did the knock on from the kick off just tip the mental scales to Wires advantage from that very first second?

#49 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE (Errol Stock @ Aug 31 2010, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question

Did the knock on from the kick off just tip the mental scales to Wires advantage from that very first second?

I don't think so. After all Leeds crossed the Warrington line a few minutes later.

#50 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,722 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Aug 31 2010, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think so. After all Leeds crossed the Warrington line a few minutes later.

And also, Leeds recovered that situation really well with an excellent tackle to get Atkins in touch, so it was pretty much cancelled out IMO.

#51 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,379 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (Errol Stock @ Aug 31 2010, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Minor Niggles
Poor woman who sang had a faulty microphone - poor do!

Especially as the RFL had actually managed to hire a decent singer this year.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#52 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:00 PM

Perhaps this would have solved the colour clash problem?

Attached Files

Edited by Trojan, 31 August 2010 - 04:02 PM.

#53 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (audois @ Aug 31 2010, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Didn't Leeds and Wire share the same colours in the 1961 Championship Final at Odsal. The difference then Warrington always had predominately white shirt ( broadish blueband with narrower primrose bands*) and White shorts. Leeds I think traditional blue shirt with broad amber and narrow hoops and all blue shorts. My black and white photo images of that tie show I think it worked well giving plenty of contrast which was sadly missing Saturday.

*see Dave Ts Brian Bevan stamp image

The '61 final was, as you say, in black and white so doesn't count.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users