Can Wire do the Cup and League Double?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just goes to prove Wire are not the deal there fans think they are. Its a lot easier to reach a challenge cup final if you are not drawn against the two top teams in the comp and Wire have done this two years on the trot beating two teams that under performed in the final. With due repect they were impressive against Leeds in the final but there record against the top teams is not that of a champion team. Saints and Leeds have been decimated by injurys this year and Wire and Wigan have had a generally injury free year but have retained more consitancy than previous years. When Wire beat the top sides on a regular basis I will be convinced. As for Wigan I think they will beat Leeds next week as it will be a game too far for Leeds and they wil meet Saints in the final. If they do I would love too see Saints give them a kicking in the final and win it for Cunningham.

B)

Still, at least you won't get beaten at Knowsley Road ever again. :lol:

:D Every cloud etc, etc...

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Now for Saints v Giants, Leeds v Wigan B)

You don't know that though do you? :rolleyes:

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Just goes to prove Wire are not the deal there fans think they are. Its a lot easier to reach a challenge cup final if you are not drawn against the two top teams in the comp and Wire have done this two years on the trot beating two teams that under performed in the final. With due repect they were impressive against Leeds in the final but there record against the top teams is not that of a champion team. Saints and Leeds have been decimated by injurys this year and Wire and Wigan have had a generally injury free year but have retained more consitancy than previous years. When Wire beat the top sides on a regular basis I will be convinced. As for Wigan I think they will beat Leeds next week as it will be a game too far for Leeds and they wil meet Saints in the final. If they do I would love too see Saints give them a kicking in the final and win it for Cunningham.

B)

They struggled to beat Fev in their first game in the CC.

Have Saints definitely decdide to play Giants? I'd have thought a capacity crowd against the Pies for the last game at KR would be irresistable for them and their fans.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I can't see them wanting a game against Wigan the week before the GF. Last ever game at KR should sell out anyway.

If they choose Wigan, they won't have to worry about having a game the week after.

I, for one, really want Saints to choose Wigan. It's not often that teams get the chance to choose to do the right thing for the sake of history, but Saints could do the right thing here.

Last game at KR, against their greatest ever rivals. No-one could have scripted that more appropriately.

C'mon Saints, do the right thing.

Wigan have consistency but just think the big match thing is something they have yet to master and have bottled on numerous times this season. Wire have overcome that now.

:lol:

PMJ - you talk of hard work in the off season - but seriously, what can Smith do? I can't see any weak link in the team (Mathers has been OK for you, but is being replaced) so strengthening may be difficult. Every other top team, I can see how they'd improve with a couple of players, but most if not all of the Wire team seem to be at the same level and you can't replace them all.

Is it a mental problem? That could be tough to sort out.

People called Romans they go the house

:lol:

PMJ - you talk of hard work in the off season - but seriously, what can Smith do? I can't see any weak link in the team (Mathers has been OK for you, but is being replaced) so strengthening may be difficult. Every other top team, I can see how they'd improve with a couple of players, but most if not all of the Wire team seem to be at the same level and you can't replace them all.

Is it a mental problem? That could be tough to sort out.

Mr P, if you're hinting the Wire Coach is the problem, we'll give him a go at the KC.

If they choose Wigan, they won't have to worry about having a game the week after.

I, for one, really want Saints to choose Wigan. It's not often that teams get the chance to choose to do the right thing for the sake of history, but Saints could do the right thing here.

Last game at KR, against their greatest ever rivals. No-one could have scripted that more appropriately.

Saints will do what's right for Saints.

rldfsignature.jpg

It wasn't to be in the end was it. But I would settle for a Challenge Cup win and joint 2nd place in the table.

If you look at what a complete shambles Wire were under a ###### coach like Paul Cullen, we have come a long way.

It wasn't to be in the end was it. But I would settle for a Challenge Cup win and joint 2nd place in the table.

If you look at what a complete shambles Wire were under a ###### coach like Paul Cullen, we have come a long way.

You were 3rd.

Aren't final placings based on how far teams go in the playoffs? So Warrington actually came joint fifth with Hull KR ;)

No lets be realistic here. The play offs are irrelevent to league standings its only winning the play offs that counts.

Dunno. Would the Pies bottle it like they did against Leeds. I don't normally see much SL but I saw both Saints - Wire and Wigan - Leeds last week and Richards had three chances to win the game for them and fluffed them all. Could it be that it really is a mental thing?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Dunno. Would the Pies bottle it like they did against Leeds. I don't normally see much SL but I saw both Saints - Wire and Wigan - Leeds last week and Richards had three chances to win the game for them and fluffed them all. Could it be that it really is a mental thing?

Maybe they would bottle it, but that's not the point.

The point is that Saints have the opportunity to do something historic here, and I just wonder if they have the bottle to take that opportunity.

With the greatest of respect to Huddersfield, who would no doubt give Saints a huge test, they should be choosing Wigan.

It may well be that Saints will pick Wigan because they see Huddersfield as a bigger barrier to getting to the GF anyway. Huddersfield are playing well, and have beaten some good teams away in the last few weeks. Wigan seem to be a bit hot and cold at the moment, which is not the form they have been showing all season.

I always thought that this season would be one of slow improvement for Wigan, and have been delighted that we have gone further than originally expected. However, I still see next season as the one where Wigan could dominate.

Whatever happens, there will be two more great games next week, it would just be nice to be involved in a real occasion at KR.