Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The RFL save London

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:08 PM

Apparently there was an announcment at the Game earlier tonight.

The RFL have offered London support and assistance until 2014 and basically guaranteed that support on all technical levels in super league like developing youth etc...chairman stressed there is no financial support.
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#2 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,300 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Sep 3 2010, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
chairman stressed there is no financial support.[/b]

Not sure how this counts as saving them.

#3 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,038 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:12 PM

Interestingly only til 2014 so presumably they have one more franchise period to get it right before they're given up on if they haven't?

#4 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (Northern Sol @ Sep 3 2010, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure how this counts as saving them.

It doesnt

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#5 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:32 PM

I don't think I've ever met a real life Widnes fan, but if those on here are representative, I really hope they don't get a franchise.

They're all horrible, bitter, little so and so's.
People called Romans they go the house

#6 Pen-Y-Bont Crusader

Pen-Y-Bont Crusader
  • Coach
  • 603 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:33 PM

As I understand from what I've heard DH is taking full ownership and continuing to plough money into the club. I guess the RFL will take on the junior development side of things financially in London and the SE.

Hughes deserves a knighthood for his services to RL.

#7 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,791 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Sep 3 2010, 09:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Apparently there was an announcment at the Game earlier tonight.

The RFL have offered London support and assistance until 2014 and basically guaranteed that support on all technical levels in super league like developing youth etc...chairman stressed there is no financial support.

Truly pathetic stuff, wholly typical of your crew.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#8 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,450 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (MrPosh @ Sep 3 2010, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think I've ever met a real life Widnes fan, but if those on here are representative, I really hope they don't get a franchise.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#9 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,000 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:49 PM

Full statement from David Hughes....

http://www.league.qu.../news/12266.php
My 2nd best hero - Jamie "Super Noodles" Peacock, but he'll never overtake my dad.....

#10 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,346 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:53 PM

Sounds like good news to me!

#11 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:20 PM

I'm a horrible,bitter,big so and so.

Get it right.............
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#12 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,029 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (Just Browny @ Sep 3 2010, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Truly pathetic stuff, wholly typical of your crew.

What, for posting the truth ?

Get a grip............

#13 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,358 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE (Derwent @ Sep 3 2010, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Full statement from David Hughes....

http://www.league.qu.../news/12266.php

Jeez. Here's a guy spending millions on developing RL expansion at all levels, and showing a passion that few along even the M62 can show for the game.

All those who have been calling for Quins to go and sniping at them hang yer heads in shame.

It's time the SKY money was reallocated to give Hughes some extra assistance.

#14 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,300 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (The Parksider @ Sep 3 2010, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jeez. Here's a guy spending millions on developing RL expansion at all levels, and showing a passion that few along even the M62 can show for the game.

All those who have been calling for Quins to go and sniping at them hang yer heads in shame.

It's time the SKY money was reallocated to give Hughes some extra assistance.

?

I don't recall anyone saying they should go. I said the RFL shouldn't give them any extra cash. I don't have a problem with them funding youth development in London.

#15 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (Pen-Y-Bont Crusader @ Sep 3 2010, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hughes deserves a knighthood for his services to RL.

If its anything like our house its Mrs Hughes that deserves the recognition for allowing the purse strings to be loosened! tongue.gif

#16 rlno1

rlno1
  • Coach
  • 275 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:23 PM

In AFL, they are happy to support teams in expansion areas because it is for the good of the whole sport. Unlike us where we seem to resent teams like Melbourne or Harlequins getting a much needed helping hand.

#17 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 12:36 AM

from what ive heard, investors have been interested for a little while, but not willing to pay IL what he wants for his shares. so it seems an arrangement has been made involving the RFL

Edited by EastLondonMike, 04 September 2010 - 12:41 AM.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#18 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 01:17 AM

Melbourne? Seriously?? There's perfectly legitimate reasons for the salary cap. Firstly so teams are on a level-ish playing-field, so to speak. Secondly so teams don't bankrupt themselves to compete with the teams with the most money. Melbourne smashed this & cheated. How's that 'anti-expansionist'?? huh.gif
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#19 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:18 AM

Well, David Hughes' statement certainly puts the 'uncertainty' to bed.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#20 Bulletproof

Bulletproof
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:49 AM

I'm not sure how to reply to this. Really leaves a horrible taste in the mouth and I'm not entirely sure I can or should have to justify the words of others just because they support the same club.

For my part I have done nothing but wish Quins the best of health in recent years and see the logic of funding the youth in the capital outside of their club. But then, all this sounds like I'm justifying myself to you and distancing myself from fellow widnes supporters who are to my mind not the people you take them for. Your post was in appalling taste.